schmaled polycounter lvl 10
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    works again :)

anyways

i still can't say it is 100% synced to maya

i got the shelf set up, export works now without crashes, in mightybake i set the tangents to maya viewport 2.0 and then i bake but i have some shading errors here and there which i do not get from within maya
  • schmaled
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schmaled polycounter lvl 10
    Back up and running. Thanks for the quick turn around Rob!!
  • mightybake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mightybake polycounter lvl 5
    Hey folks, sorry for the outage. We had some confusion with the domain. Let me know if everything is running properly.
  • mightybake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Neox - What kind of errors are you seeing? There may be very slight differences, but there shouldn't be any errors.
  • Florent_Vilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Florent_Vilbert polycounter lvl 4
    speaking of wishlists .. do you think you would be able to integrate something like mia_roundcorners?
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2236280&postcount=2

Ka1MduZ.png

cheers christian

Hi and thanks for the quick support !

Totally agree with C.Fischer, number one feature on the wishlist !

It can save tons of time in the modeling AND Baking process by adding the bevels into the normal map without having to model it. Also works with floating geometry...:)

It works like the smooth edge shader in modo(activated with only one button...), but in maya it's a pain in the XXX to setup it quickly.(Still can't make it work with the part of tuts I've found...)

You speeded up significantly the baking workflow but you could go so much further with this feature.

See here and there :

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71995

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147834

Cheers
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Damn this tool. Rocked my socks. Need more payment methods. PP is a pain in Japan, can't take money from your bank account.
  • mightybake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lamont - Thanks so much! We'll look into other payment methods.
  • mightybake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rob here.

We've posted a new trailer that shows the features of MightyBake. Let us know what you think!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcRINdVtpus"]video[/ame]
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Awesome, can't live without this software. Any update on unskewed geo normals bake? That would be an insane feature, still a pain with all the uv cutting and having to bake the maps twice and comp the two together.
  • mightybake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still not sure how to do it. I've tried a few things but none of them give good results. Do you have any examples that work for you?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Watching that video I was totally expecting an iPhone to pop up or some iSomething ;).

iMightyBake.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    mightybake wrote: »
    @Neox - What kind of errors are you seeing? There may be very slight differences, but there shouldn't be any errors.

something that looks like either the triangulation is different or the tangentbase

shading.jpg

i think this should show the problem, without breaking any NDA, as mos of the stuff I am testing is project related i can#t show you the full model.

I am on Maya 2014
  • Xizu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How's the rounded edge baking feature coming along?
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Xizu wrote: »
    How's the rounded edge baking feature coming along?

Yup, i want to know that to:)
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    "Your envelope shape does not affect the shape of the baking direction"

I have always thought that tweaking the direction of ray tracing for each specific edge is a main purpose of "cage" /"envelope" and allows to do a few very useful tricks on all those too low poly meshes in games environments.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hate that feature in xnormal and Max, takes forever to debug a bake and fiddle with the envelope's shape. Maya's baker also does not have this feature.

Maybe Rob can add a tickbox for those that want the cage shape to affect their projection, I think someone asked for it above a while back.
  • maksoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maksoon polycounter lvl 6
    Baking is not working. Output plain gray map without information about normal. Other maps too. I exported through the script. I downloaded test scene from the message above the stage and it also failed.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've created a quick breakdown of what we'd like to get out of MightyBake if possible. In Photoshop I'm hand erasing most of the surface normals bake so the edges are seamless, would be amazing if we could have no skewing plus bake across hard edges in the low poly.

explanation_comp_normals.jpg
  • kman108
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kman108 polycounter lvl 10
    for dealing with skewed bakes, maybe this is possible?

blendRayDirection_zps1y4grixi.jpg
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    oooh this looks good
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Neox wrote: »
    something that looks like either the triangulation is different or the tangentbase

shading.jpg

i think this should show the problem, without breaking any NDA, as mos of the stuff I am testing is project related i can#t show you the full model.

I am on Maya 2014

Any words on this issue ? this is what is stopping us from using mightybake instead of Maya :(
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Joao how did you model that Master Chief in your portfolio, is it a sculpt, or just modeled in Max? Really nice work, so much detail would love to see your process.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    malcolm wrote: »
    Hey Joao how did you model that Master Chief in your portfolio, is it a sculpt, or just modeled in Max? Really nice work, so much detail would love to see your process.

we usually have a few approval steps

blockout, which is kinda like the basemesh and the phase we often use the most time on, all shapes there, very light topology so changes are easy

highpoly, taking the basemesh and detail it, add support geo, floaters, use quadchamfer or doublesmooth - once this is approved we do a quick cleanup pass, kill most of the modifiers, and clean up the problematic areas coming from either quadchamfer or doublesmooth

lowpoly, with testbakes

after that it goes into texturing and the female shape.

most of our guys work in max, but we also have people using, blender, xsi or maya. we're having a hard time integrating zbrush into the hardsurface workflow. Some artists use it in the blockout stage. And it is in general much faster, but in turn it means throwing almost all of it away and remodel it to get a clean highpoly. making the highpoly phase a lot slower.
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    kman108 wrote: »
    for dealing with skewed bakes, maybe this is possible?

+1!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    @malcom thanks , glad you like it :) and yup , neox pretty much said what we do workflow wise :) but if you can , look onto the issue neox pointed , like i said , its what is stoping us from relying on mightybake.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao we're not seeing any issues like that for environments at our studio. I've worked through several similar issues with Rob (the MightyBake guy) via e-mail though before we decided to purchase licenses for the team.

I'd recommend creating a non NDA breaking test scene and just e-mail it or drop box it to Rob so he can debug the results, we've done that several times and Rob has been able to fix the bugs for us, hence we purchased licenses for our guys. Also one of the reasons I evangelize the software so much is all the great support we've received.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey we just upgraded to 2016 today and MightyBake no longer works, all baked maps come up as pure black. Can we get a fix please.
  • mightybake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @malcom thanks for the heads up. I'll incorporate the 2016 compatibility into the next release I'm working on
  • mightybake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @neox - I'll do some more tests on the matching. If you can't send the 3d files could you post a few more images?

- the normal maps for both (just cut out to the region you are pointing at)
    - the wireframe with normals displayed?

Cheers,
    Rob
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    once production here settled a bit i will create a test case for you. right now we are in the middle of gamescom stress

cheers

Steffen
  • mightybake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Steffen, good luck with gamescom
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Any news about the rounded edge feature ? :D
  • mightybake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S1dk - Actively working on it. i hope to include it in the next release if all goes well.
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    @ Thanks for reply :> and good job with this awesome program.
  • ThatOtherGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatOtherGuy polycounter lvl 4
    So I have been playing around with the demo and I keep getting this "Bad Allocation" error when I try to bake. Whats the problem with this?
  • mightybake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry that it's not working for you. It sounds like it's running out of memory. How much ram do you have and how much ram on your GPU? How big are the files you are baking?

Are you on Mac or pc? Are you using maya or max?

If you are comfortable posting the files I can try to debug it.

Rob
  • asyrvachev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    asyrvachev polycounter lvl 8
    So I have been playing around with the demo and I keep getting this "Bad Allocation" error when I try to bake. Whats the problem with this?

Maybe this is not related,but this happened to me too; however, this happens only if I forget to remove transformations in 3ds max. After I remove transformations that issue disappears.

8 gigs of ram, 2 gigs on GPU
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    I'd like to request an automated tesselation bake function which applies the subdivisions just for the bake. Maybe smoothing them for some surfaces since i think Earthquake mentioned curved suraces have trouble with tesselation?

Seems like it would be impossible not to own MB with that functionality along with the rounded edge shader thing and better Max and Modo support (like it is in Maya now ie watch malcolm's MB tuts).
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, we're having a bug where bakes will sometimes have little black dots on the objects. We've narrowed it down to being really stretched triangles on the high poly. This seems to be caused by decimating the mesh in Zbrush first, if we bake the quad model the errors are not there. I've sent in a test file with a black dot right in the center of the low poly. Can you please take a look, this is killing us at the moment.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    malcolm wrote: »
    Hey, we're having a bug where bakes will sometimes have little black dots on the objects. We've narrowed it down to being really stretched triangles on the high poly. This seems to be caused by decimating the mesh in Zbrush first, if we bake the quad model the errors are not there. I've sent in a test file with a black dot right in the center of the low poly. Can you please take a look, this is killing us at the moment.

why do you decimate in the first place? i know it will speed up baking yadayada but the quality might suffer, you risk borked up shading or weird triangles as in your case
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe the artist wanted to bring it into Maya so he decimated to make it usable in Maya, for the time being I've suggested decimating to quads or just baking the model directly without lowering the polycount.
  • MichaelF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MichaelF polycounter lvl 11
    Neox wrote: »
    why do you decimate in the first place? i know it will speed up baking yadayada but the quality might suffer, you risk borked up shading or weird triangles as in your case

just curious, what's your workflow with baking if you don't decimate? i find it to heavy to be working in files that are +40mil. and impossible to get into maya. (offsetting in zbrush is a pain)
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He decimated into quads to get around the bug then imported into Maya. But working the other way around would actually save you an export step because MightyBake can accept zbrush .obj as well as .fbx so importing the decimated file into Maya is just another step and yet another export to then bake it.

I would recommend lining up the low poly in Maya rather than the other way around and then just bake the high poly exported directly out of your sculpting app.

For example, export decimated version into Maya, line up low poly and envelope if you need one, export the low from Maya, then input the high poly from Z directly into the baker.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    MichaelF wrote: »
    just curious, what's your workflow with baking if you don't decimate? i find it to heavy to be working in files that are +40mil. and impossible to get into maya. (offsetting in zbrush is a pain)

just offset the basemeshes, you could even use the exploded basemesh as a morphtarget.
    Luckily i never had to bake such dense meshes in maya, tho 20mil did happen.
    Maya is just ultra slow on anything regarding baking. but i thought this was about mightybake, which should eat 40 mil easily.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, he still baked it in MightyBake, he just wanted to line it all up in Maya, then export it out to MightyBake from there.
  • mightybake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Polycount,

I just posted version 1.4.4 to the website, http://www.mightybake.com/demo. Below are the release notes.

Version 1.4.4 – Aug 16 2015

(Feature) FBX 2016.1 support (Works with Maya 2016 now)
    (Feature) FBX’s from MAX now fully supported
    (Feature) License server cancel lease button
    (Fix) Grey background for normal maps now 50%, 50%, 100% RGB
    (Fix) Occasional black dot misses due to bad geo should be dramatically reduced

For those interested, I've locked onto a solution for rounded normal baking. Im still polishing it and hope to have it ready for the next release.

Rob
  • Thane-
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
  • gloriousczar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gloriousczar polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Rob,

I have a feature request for when you implement the rounded edge normal baking. Could you add a setting that changes the width of the round edge? It would be nice to have some control over how tight the make the edge bevels.

Keep up the good work!