Game-Character: Nomad

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
YarridHenrard polycounter lvl 5
Nomad_Beauty.jpg
LineUp_Color.jpg
LineUp_Clay.jpg
LineUp_Wireframe.jpg

The first character for my demoreel at Think Tank Training Centre while being mentored by Pierre Bourgeot is finished and I can’t wait to share my first renders with all of you. Feel free to give any critique or comments you might have. I hope you like “Nomad”.

Tris count: 41k
Concept art by: Marko Djurdjevic
For more views and Highrez images please visit: http://www.yarridhenrard.com

Programs used: Maya, zBrush, Photoshop, xNormal, Knald, 3dCoat and Marmoset

Comments and Critique is highly appreciated :D
Thank you for watching ;)

Replies

• programmer23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    programmer23 polycounter lvl 6
    This looks really good, the one thing that I can say is, where the hair meets the head, and the hair itself looks really, for the lack of a better word, fake. Just where it meets with the scalp, if that was softened, I think it would really improve that aspect of the piece.

But other than that, REALLY nice job.
  • YarridHenrard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for you feedback, really appreciate it :D First time I ever did game-hair and boy now I know how hard that is ;) I will try to improve it further.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Great work!
    The character falls into the black background though so you might want to look at your lighting. The anatomy is ok, the inside of the forearm is a bit weak and the naked bits dont look like the muscles are the right shape exactly. The skin looks a little lifeless and green atm. The head could use some work as it lacks some definition. The hair has been mentioned. For a period piece I am not sure if the screws would be used to repair the shield, looks a bit like he went to home depot :) The shoes look kind of store bought. Maybe they are correct but a design that is a bit more ancient might add to the character.

The character has excellent proportions so its only the details.
  • YarridHenrard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for the feedback, I appreciate it a lot ;) I redid my lighting (doing a render at night isn't a very good idea...) and also put the camera slightly up and more turned since it looked like he was almost falling over backwards.

@Kanga: Thanks so much for pointing out the stuff I am doing wrong, I hope I fixed some of the issues that were visible. Like I said the lighting is redone and I hope the greenish tint is gone (noticed it came from the HDR). Glad you like the proportions and your suggestions are noted and will come in handy for my next one. Right now I won't go in and fix them since I want to keep going on my second character but I hope to fix them in the future :D

So this is the second try for a beauty render :) Hope you like it and again, critique is more than welcome ;)
    Have a great day!

Nomad_Beauty2.jpg
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    Very nice work! The hair on the head though looks like it is floating ontop of the skull to me though. Maybe darken the area under the hair on the skull to give a bit of shadow?
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    Popular guy, I made a 3D version of this one as well :D

Nice job man, I like the half stylized textures/shader you did, I would perhaps play with the spec levels a little, might help to break up the sections a little more.
  • YarridHenrard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @nickcomeau Thank you so much! I really have to do something about that hair :) First time I do game-hair and damn it aint easy oO I will do my best to get it to look better, thank you :)

@klown Ow really? Well the concept art is a wonderful piece of art :D Gonna look up yours ;) Glad you like mine :D Will see if I can tweak the specs a bit more to push it more :)

Thanks guys, really appreciate your feedback ^^