Home Technical Talk

How to remove materials in maya after vertex color baking?

So I have two materials (both phong) assigned to a model. I want to take the model to a game engine so instead of having two materials and two drawcalls, I decided to just do vertex color baking. But when I do so in maya and then delete the two materials from hypershade window, the model turns bright green completely. I havent worked with vertex coloring before but I just did, Rendering-->Assign new bake set
>Bake to vertices, and then batch bake using mental ray.

Basically followed this short tutorial. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY3uzEQjwDU[/ame]

Pls help.

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    It turns green because there is no material assigned to it. You should leave one material still assigned to the mesh and your engine generally should recognize the mat id's.
  • kreativ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I imported it into unity even after it turned completely green in maya and in unity, it had a default material (default material in maya) that has been imported. Also, if I unselect "import materials" in unity import, unity auto-assigns its own default material to the mesh. Can I ask where the vertex colors are?

I was hoping to see my vertex colors on the model in either maya or unity.

Of course in maya I couldnt delete the lambert1 material since I reckon like u said, one material must be in hypershade. I guess thats being imported into unity.