Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Skyrim: Riverwood Environment

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
DriveJunky95 polycounter lvl 7
While I can't say that this is close to the original (much respect), this was wrapped up today before it could turn me into one of its moons.

Original Progress Thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143355
IQjA77w.jpg

dzoITSD.jpg

8xjDqJT.jpg

yWnK8xj.jpg

[vv]130229667[/vv]

Replies

• xxroxx
    Offline / Send Message
    xxroxx polycounter lvl 3
    Just out of curiosity, since you're obviosly using a more powerful engine, why didn't you go with more complex lighting and textures? It looks much like the original, but skyrim's lighting is dull and greyish.
    If you meant to replicate it in UE4, than I say you succeeded!
  • FULGORE
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    xxroxx wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, since you're obviosly using a more powerful engine, why didn't you go with more complex lighting and textures? It looks much like the original, but skyrim's lighting is dull and greyish.

+1

It looks scarily like the source material :) but I'd like to see what it would look like with some lighting and shadows akin to Witcher 3 or something
  • DriveJunky95
    Offline / Send Message

A few lame reasons, but justifiable ones. I think if I had gone with subscription-based texture websites I'd get slightly more out of some textures - higher quality details / less fudge work.

I wasn't about to learn Substance for such a large project and have it hold me back lol. ZBrush would have been nice to use, but the scale was too big for me alone.

Definitely could have bumped up the min texture resolutions for the entire scene to 1024 and 2048 too, but went for a similar quality to Skyrim. That and I was afraid my machine wouldn't be able to handle it - which it couldn't and I was forced to upgrade. By then the project was 85% complete.

But having starred at Skyrim textures for longer than I'd like to think, Bethesda must have some pretty sweet photo equipment.
    It looks scarily like the source material but I'd like to see what it would look like with some lighting and shadows akin to Witcher 3 or something

Happy to get two votes Skyrim resemblance. Witcher 3 as in darker shadows / more saturated / custom skybox?
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's so weird seeing something look so dated in UE4, you could push this scene so much further than the dated graphics engine of Skyrim. There's a lot of room for improvement in the lighting and textures.
  • Cay
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    Well it does look like the original one.. I can't say anything about that.. but I guess a visual upgrade would have been more interesting (textures really are dated)
  • DriveJunky95
    Offline / Send Message
    It's so weird seeing something look so dated in UE4, you could push this scene so much further than the dated graphics engine of Skyrim. There's a lot of room for improvement in the lighting and textures.

The ultimate critique - do it all over! :D
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Lol, I didn't mean it like that. Focus on one thing at a time, like how could you improve the lighting, textures, or models.

Maybe try to use some ideas from this http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/ModularMountAndBlade like the thatched roof from mount and blade has more volume and works better.

Also what are you using for the lighting? Is is baked or real-time?
  • THendersonVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    THendersonVFX polycounter lvl 6
    For recreating Skyrim's art you nailed it dead on! Very well replicated! I know you were going for the recreation of the look so you definitely accomplished that.

Would like to see the environment pushed as far as you could take it, but again, you hit your mark with what you set out to do. Well done.
  • DanielPeres
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielPeres polycounter lvl 7
    For recreating Skyrim's art you nailed it dead on! Very well replicated! I know you were going for the recreation of the look so you definitely accomplished that.

Would like to see the environment pushed as far as you could take it, but again, you hit your mark with what you set out to do. Well done.

Totally agree with this! Good work in the recreation field, but yeah I also would love to see this same scene with the whole power of UE4 nad pushed as far as you can. Maybe a differente project :)
  • DriveJunky95
    Offline / Send Message
    @ZacD - Invaluable example of modularity / atlassing / modeling methods to prevent FOV texture streaming - maybe others will stumble across it for their projects as well

@THendersonVFX & @nukakola7 - TY sirs! While sometimes frustrating, it's fair to say there is always room for improvement. This will definitely kick off a new project with some much higher res materials to really tap into UE4 :)
  • DriveJunky95
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea necro thread. Distance Field GI for improved lighting?