Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unreal 4 Next-Gen Building - The Fox Theatre

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
brandv3d polycounter lvl 12
Hi all polycounters
Here is my newest project, The Fox Theatre

This was inspired by the the Chicago Theater in the game “Watch Dogs” and another actual Theatre in Detroit, Michigan, The Fox Theatre and it is also inspired by the Fox Theatre in the game “The Crew”. Mainly made to show how to use the Quixel Suite in a set of tutorials that I made. Can be seen here at www.BuildingsinGames.com

This was modeled in 3ds Max and textured and rendered in Marmoset using its new Physical Based Shaders feature (PBS) and then imported into Unreal Engine 4. It took almost exactly 18 days. I did all of the modeling, texturing, lighting, rendering and all of the objects in this scene.

The entire project can be seen at www.BrandonVolpe.com
Date: May 2015
Time to Complete: 18 Days
Software Used: Quixel, Marmoset, 3ds Max, Photoshop

Hope you guys like it

-I UPDATED THIS PROJECT TO THE TOP OF THIS THREAD-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFU0uJyt4Ag

The Older work in progress starts below

Replies

• Stavaas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Awesome work mate!
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    A good start for sure, but this could be a lot stronger if you spent more time on your lighting. Your kinda cheating using all the neon to cover up some pretty drab lighting. I'd focus on making the lighting interesting on it's own (without the neon) and work the contrast of your textures to match this image more.

historic-fox-theatre-in-detroit-michigan-peter-ciro.jpg

Then when the lighting is in a good place turn on your neon. (The frosting as you will....currently your cake underneath is a little lopsided.)

The White Zombie text is too vanilla. (those are individually hand placed letters up there)...the spacing and the rotation isn't perfect. Note the subtle blueish gradients happening behind the letters, why you using such flat textures?
  • brandv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A much needed update on the Fox Theatre.  Thanks for all the comments and thank you Pixel Patron for the comments on the lighting.  It really helped out with getting back to the basics on my lighting skills.  I went back into Unreal and used some color correction procedures by using a LUT. I also made the White Zombie text into real 3D Letters instead of just a texture.  They have a variety of rotated and positions as they would be in real life (It's minimal but still there).  Here's a few screenshots...

• brandv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More detail and close ups can be seen in this video.  Alternate video shows slightly different lighting conditions.

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    its good but theres a lot of details missing, for example all the neon in that photo is beautifully layered into concentric patterns, yours is very simple in comparison. With these added details it could be truly great.
  • brandv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, it could use some work still, you can see more in the video in Hi-res which shows more of the building and it's detail. I probably should have mentioned this before but the goal of my re-lighting of this project was not to copy the image above but to work more on the lighting. The suggested image is a high dynamic range image that uses multiple exposures taken from many shots from a regular camera and then combined together to get that effect that uses HDR camera settings.  It's a technique used by many photographers but used in video games.
    Here are some of my photos I took of the building to show how it looks with just one exposure. 

The details are there but hidden in the dark, I'm going to render a daytime scene to show off the textures more.

• brandv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all Polycounters,

I think I found the right lighting after the drab first set and then the over saturated and high contrast but finally now it has the right amount of lighting and better placement of lights.  Here's a few screen shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFU0uJyt4Ag

Here is a reference image shot I took for the making of this building...

Hope you guys like it, and as always any comments are welcome.
  • brandv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I got a chance to make some lighting changes and made a few high res screenshots with my upgraded SSD drive and 32 GB of Ram.  These were 10X the resolution at 10329 X 5810 and then I converted them down to web size with still a lot of detail left in them.

-See top of thread

Hope you guys enjoy them