Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beefs Hand-painted Textures

For the past three years I have been teaching myself 3D Modeling, and hand painted texturing.As seeing I have reached as far as I can with my limited resources. I am asking for assistance from tips to explanations, mainly for texturing.
927952524f.jpg
21b5f56229.jpg
bd6a45f4c0.jpg
https://p3d.in/f63rT/shadeless
Thanks in advance. Have fun Criting.

Replies

• skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    what are your resources? :)
    you need to check out color variation and ambient occlusion
    your colors are quite flat and the pieces need more depth, lighting and contrast to be painted on
  • beef331
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My resources have been google images, youtube and other online tutorials, and a friend who paints this style exceedingly well.
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what i actually wanted to know is which softwares you have access to
    i thought you referred to limited resources as software... because i dont think
    internet tutorials are a limited resource :D
  • beef331
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use blender and photoshop cs2.
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so no pixelbaesd painting on the model which makes stuff pretty hard :)
    if you have the chance to get your hands on 3dCoat its one of the coolest
    tools to handpaint, because you paint on the model itself instead of the map
    (but still not vertex based but uv pixel based).

i think you should first paint some flat material studies
    like check out suzanne helmighs
    material_studies__by_suzanne_helmigh-d5q2bo9.jpg
    to understand how color, light, shadow, reflected light and so on

also may check out https://www.facebook.com/ArtOfAnasRiasat he/she (dunno) paints traditional and fakes 3d looks by painting like a renderer would do passes, theres some nice tutorials on the page about how the layers of 3d look like.
  • beef331
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have started on this, and I don't think the start is going well, but mistakes must me made to learn.a5baf8bc9c.jpg
  • Ashaman73
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashaman73 polycounter lvl 6
    beef331 wrote: »
    I use blender and photoshop cs2.
    Blender is capable to paint directly on the model (texture paint mode). It works really great and I do all my character handpainting with blender 3d painting now (thought I'm still a beginner in the art department ).
    i think you should first paint some flat material studies
    like check out suzanne helmighs
    Awesome work of suzanne, this is a great idea to practise
  • beef331
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashaman73 wrote: »
    Blender is capable to paint directly on the model (texture paint mode).
    I have used it, and since they added slots I'm more inclined to use it.Checked out your game, looks pretty good so far.
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Great start to the sphere painting, although I must note that your rocks look flat on the sphere...try to distort the rocks as they wrap around the ball so it looks 3D. And also create cracks on the outline (outside) of the sphere where the stones are supposed to have grout. It will look more authentic and break up the round silhouette.
  • beef331
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Metal, and rocks are a pain for me. Anyhow he is another update to be critique if anyone will.ee52917632.jpg
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more contrast :) the rocks look best so far :)
    maybe work on them until you mastered them and then proceed to another material
  • beef331
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working with a new brush and here's the result
    0781d052ea.jpg
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So some quick things. Your shapes feel somewhat lumpy as if you're not confident in what values you are putting down. Everything feels very soft or lacking definite form because of this. To get started I recommend a few things. Some of them are free, some of them will cost money (and are 100% worth every penny.)

FREE
    • Hand Painted Primer on youtube
    • Study hand painted textures and try to emulate the style (not copy pixel for pixel) Don't be afraid to color pick or really push your limits.
    • It's worth mentioning that blender can allow you to paint directly on a model if I am not mistaken, though I haven't used it and don't know how in depth it is.
    Money
    • 3DMotive subscription - There are a few hand painted tutorials here that are awesome. Namely the weapon tutorial by Tyson Murphy and the house by Ryan Ribot. Both are great and it is worth mentioning that Tyson is a lead character artist at Blizzard for WoW.
    • Kelvin Tan on Gumroad - I actually haven't checked these out yet myself but I intend on buying them in the next week or two (waiting to see how that Steam sale pans out on my wallet first). Kelvin is another Blizzard artist and he seems to know his stuff.
    • 3D Coat is about $100 but the steam sale is going on so if anything I would keep an eye on it for the next few days. You never know if it may go on sale. I bought it back around Christmas time and it is awesome.
    Check out some of these resources and just practice practice.
  • beef331
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more C&C would be nice. Thanks for all the help.ca3d25d226.jpg
  • ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact polycounter lvl 9
    The fundamental issue here is that hand painting involves painting, and one of the keystones of painting is values. The human eye differentiates form through value changes so it is paramount to get it right to give your textures the depth you're looking for.

Different materials have different value ranges. For example, on a scale of 10, where 1 is pure white and 10 is pure black, a matte surface could have as little a value range as 4-7, whereas a polished metal surface could go all the way from 1 to 10. This goes back to studying surfaces from real world references, often stripping them of colour to better understand their values.

Here's a quick reference:
    The importance of value in painting
  • drysider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drysider polycounter lvl 9
    A couple of notes about your material practice circles:

Don't forget that the circles you're using aren't just circles in the exercise. They're spheres. Whatever you texture them with should curve around the surface of the sphere. When you're texturing models you want to be aware of the forms of the mesh so you can texture to the flow of the model (ie, texturing a muscle curve accurately). You're texturing those spheres like they're just a flat surface and not a 3d object. If you look at the original picture you can see that all the spheres are believably curved.

Don't forget as well that you want to light them as though they are 3d objects. Hand painted models will usually be presented unlit - YOU have to fake lighting and shadow to give them depth and not rely on the program to. Your sword textures in particular are really flat and have no lighting and value depth to them. Take a look at a weapon like this:

d213299cd46c58f67010321a79374c3f.jpg

If you study it you can see that theres a lot of rich deep shadows and lighting. This really makes it pop. Compare it to your sword, and you can see that yours is really flat. There's really minimal shading around the areas that would cast shadows, and no highlights anywhere to draw your eye. Try remembering to add shadow gradients to places to draw the viewers eye to the more detailed or important areas.

You have the same problem with the material texture exercise. The spheres look REALLY flat. Don't forget that you're not only adding detail when texturing, but you also need to fake those shadows really hardcore.

You're lacking sharp shapes in your texturing too. Sure this style is hand 'painted' but if you dont include sharp lines and shapes and detail the texture looks muddy and unfinished. Again, in the sword I posted above, you can see that theres lots of sharp added shadows and highlights to create detail. Dont be afraid to switch to some hard edge bushes to do a polish pass.

Finally, you should check out 3d Coat for texturing models! My favourite program ever - itll really help you understand how to paint efficiently on a 3d surface.
  • beef331
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any suggestions on my photoshop brush settings? Currently I used round hard at less than 50 percent opacity.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I change up my brush settings but I usually use a hard edge brush set to 100% opacity and 10% flow. I'll change opacity as needed if my color is coming out too strong.
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    I start out with 90% opacity to block out three or so values (dark, mid, highlight), and then shift to 40% when i try to blend. Finally I shift back to a minimum of 70% for final quality.

Personally I find anything below 70% opacity gives muddy results, so I keep my brush at about there often.

I keep flow at 100% all the time.
  • beef331
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got my yiynova monitor tablet back from repairs and did a quick paint to test it again. Please critique and give me some more advice.c01917fa2e.png
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    getting better
    what you need now is look at other painted swords then get some value that is a lot stronger
    than the ones you have (brighter) but not totally white and add shiny small details

again look at references thsi stage is superfast overdone and it looks like some blingbling sword instead of metal. also add more darks on the really dark areas and then lets see how it looks like
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    Every artist has his/her own pipeline on how to obtain the final result... I'm not sure how you're painting yours but I only really started hand painting about just over half a year ago and I've become very comfortable with painting anything now through diligent practice and if you're starting out I reeeeally recommend checking out Jamine Shoulet's master class videos on Youtube... here

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_GWVez_UHM[/ame]

he's very popular among people starting out and it's the best way to start imo...

The most useful thing I got from his master class was the formula he uses to define his highlights and shadows...

Today, I'm able to paint without his formula and just raw but using his screen/multiply formula is still by far the most controlled pipeline that I've come across so far so if you want to add those really fine highlight details this is definitely one of the best ways to go about it... in retrospect of the sword you've just painted... using one screen layer to knock out those fine line highlights on the blade edges are perfect... the best thing is to just keep drilling at these paintings and you'll get better faster than you realize (Y) :)

Hand painting is all about subtlety and patience, with metallic surfaces their value range is a lot harsher than anything else like rock/stone etc... so to really push the metallic material definition your greys need a blend towards a much darker value and your light greys need a few blends towards the brighter values along with a few surface details which can be defined by happy mistakes while painting (Y)

keep going n__n
  • beef331
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, but I have already watched his videos.
  • beef331
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on my summer project a bit, and here is a single brick i did in the midst of programming, and thing of my game.
    453fe9af7d.jpg