Home Technical Talk

How many polygons is too many polygons?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
CAConsiglio polycounter lvl 3
I'm working on a sculpt and I decided I needed more subdivisions in order to get the details in. before I knew it though, I had 25,662,126 polys. Is that too many polygons? This piece is going to be a display piece only, so I don't have concerns about whether a game engine would be able to render it. Thanks!

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    It doesn't matter, if it won't be rendered in a game engine or in a game. But there is almost no chance for importing that successfully into any modeling program. Usually this issue is solved with making a "lower poly" version, and to use a displacement map baked from the highpoly model.
  • KeirKieran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeirKieran polycounter lvl 3
    So long as your machine can render it, you're good to go.
  • CAConsiglio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CAConsiglio polycounter lvl 3
    Sweet! Thanks guys!
  • Zezeri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crytek's Ryse character sculpts had polycounts that were in the region of 160 million.
    So I think you are good :P
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Its too many polys when your machine slows, has trouble with saving and reopening etc. Mostly if you are having difficulties upping the detail the problem can be solved by remeshing to optimize edgeflow which gives you extra detail room. You can also vary the resolution of the mesh to put more rez where you need it by taking it from parts that dont need detail as much.

I reckon with future soft and hardware resolution will cease to be important. I am looking forward to that :)
  • Mcbeardo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcbeardo polycounter lvl 4
    160 millions...Hahahaha I love it.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    ... my poor laptop is already fighting quicksaves in a scene with 'barley' 55 millions ('quciksaves' up to 191 secs...)... I guess he would slap me in the face if I would push it further and kick me in the nuts for 160...

I guess it doesn't matter how strong machines become, we will be riding them to till they start stuttering again anyhow...
  • jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Biomag, sometimes in that instance I will separate some of my subtools out to separate files to avoid bogging stuff down. It can be annoying if you want to view the whole picture, but it keeps things running a bit smoother.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    @jfitch: Thanks for the advice :) I would do it too, but as they are all parts for a modular armor I am keeping it together to make sure it all fits (there are some parts that interconnect - like arm guards that have to work with bare arms, sleeves and bandages and all of those 3 have to work also without the guards, so each has also an additional layer). I am close to finishing all options (just 1-2 more subtools and I am done), so my poor laptop will have to suffer just some more :)