Home Technical Talk

Quixel Megascans Cheating Myself?

Greg DAlessandro
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
Would I be cheating myself by using Quixel Megascans?

Cheating in a sense:
Using/Modifying a premade library of already well-made textures as apposed to finding and gathering your own and modifying them.

To me it feels like using other people's portfolio quality work and modifying it, as apposed to creating your own textures/materials, as well as getting better at sculpting out details. Is this the wrong way to think?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you don't know how to make quality materials from scratch, perhaps it would be detrimental to your development as an artist. If that is the case I would suggest you do a variety of studies and even finished assets, creating textures from scratch with traditional methods before becoming completely reliant on texturing software with automated presets.

On the other hand, cheating is a really silly way to look at it. It's like is using a drill instead of a hammer and nails to put up drywall cheating? There is no cheating in art (unless you're actually stealing someone else's work). Much of what dDo does is simply automating things that most decent texture artists would do anyway.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I won't hold it against people that use it. It translates as "working smart" to me to use tools like Megascans.

That being said, from my meager experience, you'll be editing and fixing things anyways to get it to where you want it, so you're most likely not just gonna slap a Megascans on something and call it a day.

Very rarely will something like Megascans, or even something like marvelous Designer, give you EXACTLY what you want.
  • pixaeiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixaeiro polycounter lvl 8
    EarthQuake wrote:
    If you don't know how to make quality materials from scratch

Do you know of any tutorials about how to make this kind of physically based materials from scratch?
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    pixaeiro wrote: »
    Do you know of any tutorials

google: pbr gumroad -warez -torrent
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    google: pbr gumroad -warez -torrent

Read the forum rules.

Edit: Oh are you suggesting to search for gumroad pbr tutorials without torrents?
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    @ZadD

LOL

those are minus signs

-warez is the opposite of searching +warez

:)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    lol, I read it as -warez- thought it was a user name or something.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Here's an all-encompassing definition of cheating in art:

You are cheating iff (if and only if) you are using someone else's work without their permission.

But 'cheating yourself' is a bit of a different question I suppose. If you're asking questions while working you'll pick a few things up just by looking at scanned content. And then if you make stuff from scratch you'll learn other things. So don't limit yourself to one or another unnecessarily.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Basically, make sure you don't have a crutch. If you can make similar textures yourself, there's no shame in using resources and tools to help you speed up the process.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends on what your using them for.

Its cheating if you slap megascans stuff on your portfolio work, and then say "look at these sweet materials I made"

It would be a good idea to make sure that when posting folio work, you mention what you worked on and what you didn't. That way there is no confusion. "For this scene I did all of the modeling/composition, and used megascan materials." or something.

That being said, don't let it be a crutch to stop you from making your own materials as well. There are very few positions out there where you will not have to texture to some degree.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    I've been using megascans for a while now being a beta tester. It's not a push button, receive awesome assets solution per se. Megascans gives you a great base to work from. Kinda like a more advanced use of photo sources but you still have to make assets and environments yourself for the most part. Ther's still much that you can do with megascans on your own freedom. Make cool blending or masked materials for it, tweak them, incorporate them in other workflows etc.

Exception might be the scanned 3d Megascan assets but even they can be tweaked to your liking and for instance the scanned rocks come with hipoly meshes and alpha masks so you can "remix" the content in zbrush and ddo.

Megascans will be a big help for small teams and not so talented folks to get out some decent looking environments but as always the more talented artists will be able to push it even further.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    I actually find the tool complicated but very useful. There are still a lot of concept you need to learn / study like masks that can help your understanding. I know it did mine
  • pixaeiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixaeiro polycounter lvl 8
    MagicSugar, Thanks for the link.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    +1 for 'learn how to do it yourself, but once you learn how, feel free to use Megascans fairly often'.

It's not the 'cheating' you should worry about, it's the 'not learning something important' you should worry about.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a short segment on creating texture content for the PBR tutorial I wrote on Marmoset's site: http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice

This is an old tutorial, and looking back, much of the texture values do not make sense, but the basic concepts of material setup and observation are still valid: http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/materials
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    The thing with all those cool software that does everything for you is that you have 90% chance of working in a company that WON'T let you used it. then what will you do.

Yes it's nice to have an amazing portfolio boost by software making it easy, but will you be able to achieve the same thing by yourself without software ? If you are then no, it's not cheating, if you can't well your employer will know very soon and you'll probably lose your job. When they employ someone they want to be sure you can achieve the level of your folio on ANY software.
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
    Unless you specifically get hired as a texture artist, most companies will transition you into a spot with the art and tools that you're good at. Not to say that a curve-ball won't be thrown here and there, but for the most part, if you've never done high-poly before they're not just gonna say model a high-poly tank in z-brush. I'm not gonna get hired as a level-artist, and then all of the sudden be expected to be an expert in Substance Designer, that's not the way it works. As for the software, if you're unfamiliar with a new program, they'll usually get someone to train you for it and give you a bit of breathing room before throwing you to the wolves. Nobody can do everything, and anybody that can isn't usually going to be brilliant at anything. Sometimes learning a single program can take years. Employers know this and (for the most part) act accordingly. 

I think one of the biggest things that stops people from starting a new scene, is the relentless amount of work that everything will be. Sculpting everything, using designer, painter, high-polys, rendering maps, creating materials, lighting, etc, etc. The list never ends. Having Megascans to quickly just grab stuff and go makes complete sense. This is literally the way that a game studio works most of the time anyways :)
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    As long as you don't need to rely on Quixel or Substance to create materials, even if you primarily use them, you're fine. If you've only ever used Quixel or Substance, you should do some practice understanding how to do similar work in Photoshop/Gimp/whatever. It's always good to know the basics of the older ways of working in case you end up in a situation where you are forced to rely on older tools.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    all is fair in love in war and in production...
    if you do something in your sparetime do whatever feel best...
    but in production do whatever needs do be done to get a great asset...
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    start auto-locking threads that have no posts for 3 months