Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge May 2015 (30)

Replies

• supersnakelx
    Offline / Send Message
    supersnakelx polycounter lvl 7
    @Jaston3D -Wow, great job!

@Doxturtle -Added a light blue to yellow spec on the muzzle can.

3JC7oPP.png

@Auldbenkenobi -It's looking great but I'm seeing some problems with proportions...and the cloth

sVKWRrT.jpg
  • Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    nice work jaston and super. very cool stuff happening in here.

ok time to add some more stuff from me. this is the mess that my substance nodes is starting to make. messy, but very cool.
    Trainmap.jpg?dl=0
  • radioactivebritt
    Offline / Send Message
    radioactivebritt polycounter lvl 2
    I didn't get to as much as I had hoped for this update, but here is some texture progress wheeee

dPoQfys.jpg?1

Messed with the lighting a bit too. I like it more, but I lost that pretty soft bloom on the edge of the squares on the floor :( I'll keep messing with it to get it back.

Anyone know how to do water properly? Mine is terrible, but I looked at UE4s website and it said to do that..
  • mariomanzanares
    Offline / Send Message
    mariomanzanares polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys, I wanted to use a transparency map to have the holes of the can in a low poly version. This is not just to save topology but I think it would also look better than some low poly holes.

YZE9JvV.jpg

But I have never baked transparency before. What's the best method? Can you bake transparency maps in Zbrush like you bake a normal map? I just can't find how.

I know you can bake transparency in Maya, though. It's just I would like to have all my bakes from Zbrush and not use a different software for each part of the flamethrower, hehe.

Advices? I'm all ears.
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    since these holes are not semitransparent but just material on/off its a simple black + white map
    you can just take your normal map and mask out the holes in ps or wheresoever and then --> holes black, rest white, plug into transparency slot, done.
  • Dvids
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvids polycounter lvl 4
    Nice flamethrower, Supersnakelx! I liked your materials a lot since the first round, but now they are just better!

Here's my High Poly. I'm so proud of it because this is a 100% out of my confort zone (weapons, hard surface...) and everything was done using Zmodeler. I'm loving this Zbrush tool.

I1fRM1Q.jpg

(Rendered in Keyshot)

Now I'm struggling trying to figure out how to make a nice lowpoly out of this... Maybe reusing some of the high poly meshes? Any nice tutorial for hard surface retopos? Thanks!!

This looks really good!!

Also, good job on the presentation. Gotta take a look at Keyshot myself :)
  • xenop
    Offline / Send Message
    xenop polycounter lvl 10
    Here is my Low Poly wip. I am going to knock some verts and triangles off but I making this Flame Thrower for first person view. Going to add the tape en wrapers next.

sMfx9HK.jpg
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Happy with it! Would change some thing (like what supersnake suggested) but I have an art test to do now for Oysterworld Games!

[SKETCHFAB]1afd2e7f5e52480399bd0eedd55dc6e6[/SKETCHFAB]

I do want to place it in UE4 with some nice flame effects though, anyone got a tutorial for that kind of thing?
  • Bentic
    Offline / Send Message
    Bentic polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys, nice flamethrowers!

mariomanzanares, good job with Zmodeler! I need to get into that :)

So I was wondering, what's the plan for next month ? Has anyone gotten news from Wulf ?
    If I'm looking at the right Skype profile, it would appear he's 17, so he may be busy with school and exams. That might be why we didn't hear from him for this month, I don't know...

Is anyone taking over the duties for June (or permanently) ? Preparing a concept voting thread ?

I'm posting in the other May thread too so we can coordinate this time ;)
  • Jaston3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
    Callin this one done! I need to move on to another piece for my portfolio! This concept was so fun to do! First ever Environment i've ever done and first time ever using an engine! I learned a ton in just a month. Plan on coming back every other month to do these unless there's one I really like, and work on portfolio pieces in the months between. Any criticism is absolutely welcome! k5bchGV.jpg
  • ReneFisher
    Offline / Send Message
    ReneFisher polycounter lvl 6
    Finally finished! Total time this took was around 10 days, though it probably would have been quicker if I hadn't played so much Destiny...

Didn't really get around to making a cool statue so I just made a throne and took the focus away from that area. The vases were pretty lazily textured and I could have used some crack decals for the floor and to break up some of the textures. Overall though I'm happy with how this turned out though, and it was a really fun project to work on!

Had to wrap it up early though cause I'm headed to Savannah for my graduation from SCAD! :)

fx0DMtg.png

Made a flythrough of it too!
    https://vimeo.com/129128723
  • Jaston3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
    Anyone have any updates? This thread died):
  • Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    I will be posting more next week. Just had a lot to do. :)
  • SageOfTime
    Offline / Send Message
    SageOfTime polycounter lvl 3
    So my hdd caught fire..... I lost a bunch of files. So I don't think I'm going to finish on time, obviously. I'll keep working on this in my free time for a portfolio piece. Either way, a screenshot of a background asset for my environment, as well as my poor charred hdd :(
    COEH5bX.png
    htmIoH6.jpg
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    @Sageoftime oh no! How on earth did it catch fire!

@ReneFisher looks great, I really like it. One thing I would say is perhaps the textures are a little noisy all together? How did you get those godrays, i'm trying to create them in my own but struggling (UE4 noob).

@Jaston3D, I'm still working on mine, but I've just had some work in so it's been keeping me busy!
  • Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    ReneFisher wrote: »
    Finally finished! Total time this took was around 10 days, though it probably would have been quicker if I hadn't played so much Destiny...

Didn't really get around to making a cool statue so I just made a throne and took the focus away from that area. The vases were pretty lazily textured and I could have used some crack decals for the floor and to break up some of the textures. Overall though I'm happy with how this turned out though, and it was a really fun project to work on!

Had to wrap it up early though cause I'm headed to Savannah for my graduation from SCAD! :)

fx0DMtg.png

Made a flythrough of it too!
    https://vimeo.com/129128723

I think the red/dark orange colour works really well with this scene
  • electricsauce
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    Probably about as far as I'm going to take this one:

PC_Noob_May15.jpg

PC_Noob_May15_2.jpg

PC_Noob_May15_3.jpg
  • radioactivebritt
    Offline / Send Message
    radioactivebritt polycounter lvl 2
    Welp, this is as finished as it's going to get for today's deadline.

1xF6bz0.jpg?1
  • mariomanzanares
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey y'all! Not finished, but I wanted to update this thread with my last w.i.p. before the month ends:

Low poly. First time doing hard surface, a pain in the ass, but I'm super happy with the end result. 14k tris.

ROO9vbF.jpg

Texturing in Substance Painter. I love this software man, but my computer is too old for it and it goes sloooooow.... Gotta buy a new one because texturing is so much fun :)

F0EL4Pw.jpg

I will upload the final model as soon as the texture is done (June, yes, but... whatever).
    Hope you like it!!
  • SageOfTime
    Offline / Send Message
    SageOfTime polycounter lvl 3
    @Sageoftime oh no! How on earth did it catch fire!

No idea. Installed it brand new, 30 minutes later, sparks/smoke followed by flames and I knew it was an electrical fire. So I pulled all of the plugs/killed the power. Needless to say that was a setback.

I'll be working on it some more though soon, probably this coming week. I've had some side commissions to work on lately that ate up more of my time than I was anticipating. Those will be done in a couple days and I'll be back on top of this challenge, even if its past the deadline. I need to revamp my portfolio!
  • Tripl3M
    Offline / Send Message
    Tripl3M polycounter lvl 2
    Wow guys ... you`re totally out of my league ... at least i tried xD

screenshot004.jpg

3_1.jpg

I know thats some shitty texturing :( im still learning
  • Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    @sageoftime
    had soimething similar happen to me. metal dust from a construction site got lodged in my cooling fan and the arm of my HDD. bad things happened.
    i was just lucky it was only the HDD and not the mobo or gfx card that fried. also, im totally ignoring the deadline. im going to get this done eventually but definately not today :p
  • ross185
    Offline / Send Message
    ross185 polycounter lvl 6
    Well I don't think i'll be finishing it this month! To be fair I started 2 and a 1/2 weeks late and only get to work on it during my lunch breaks :P I have recently taken it into zbrush to add some dents, cloth work, duck tape details and scratches to it :) still lots to do!

Here is where I am so far in Maya:

uFfQAiu.jpg

uVkK6tg.jpg
  • Mr.Moose
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    Tripl3M wrote: »
    Wow guys ... you`re totally out of my league ... at least i tried xD

screenshot004.jpg

3_1.jpg

I know thats some shitty texturing :( im still learning

Don't put yourself down :D And don't stop there! You've got a base texture down, add some colors and try to match the colors. It'll help you see where you need to go from there!
  • Ryandec
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryandec polycounter lvl 8
    Some really nice work here :) I didn't have a chance to join on this one, any idea when Junes concept will be revealed and started?
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Ryandec wrote: »
    Some really nice work here :) I didn't have a chance to join on this one, any idea when Junes concept will be revealed and started?

I'm hoping soon, I had a lot of fun with May's :D
  • Wulf
    Offline / Send Message
    Wulf polycounter lvl 7
    Give me a little bit guys, the MNC for June will be up.
  • mariomanzanares
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally finished! It will make a nice portfolio piece, so feedback is always appreciated! :)

6DUUmcc.jpg

vUAd9hL.jpg

T7RN5js.gif

[SKETCHFAB]ca24e9a5123b4dd68f976774656ebb54[/SKETCHFAB]

Also in Artstation.
  • Poinball
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball polycounter lvl 6
    Finally finished! It will make a nice portfolio piece, so feedback is always appreciated! :)

6DUUmcc.jpg

vUAd9hL.jpg

T7RN5js.gif

[SKETCHFAB]ca24e9a5123b4dd68f976774656ebb54[/SKETCHFAB]

Also in Artstation.

Yeah !! Really nice dude Good work
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Yay Wulf is back! :)
  • ross185
    Offline / Send Message
    @Poinball I am just curious, How did you do the Duct tape texture? did you just get a real life image and then got a normal map from it? or did you sculpt it?

I was also wondering how you got the center tubing which attaches to the bike handle without a crease at the part where the two tubes join together?

On another note it looks really good! A few little touches like strands of hay coming off the clump at the end with alpha maps. But hey that is just me :) it looks great none the less.
  • mariomanzanares
    Offline / Send Message
    ross185Poinball didn't upload the images but quoted them, I guess you meant to ask me? :)

Duct tape was sculpted, and after that I created an custom alpha with some additional "grid" texture to push it further. For the tubes joining together I used ZModeler and I simply avoided using extra edge loops or creasing the zone. Oh, and thanks for the tips! :)
  • ross185
    Offline / Send Message
    ross185Poinball didn't upload the images but quoted them, I guess you meant to ask me? :)

Duct tape was sculpted, and after that I created an custom alpha with some additional "grid" texture to push it further. For the tubes joining together I used ZModeler and I simply avoided using extra edge loops or creasing the zone. Oh, and thanks for the tips! :)

ah my bad! sorry :P Oh ok awesome, I sculpted the creases but struggling with the grid like undertone of the tape :\ I might have another go at the tubes I've done as I am not hugely happy with them.

Thanks for the info though dude! :)