Home General Discussion

Windows 10 and 3Dsmax/games

Hia guys,today a little windows sign popped up on my screen offering me to sign up for windows 10 download once its out.
Since google wasn't much of a help I wanted to ask around if any of you guys have intel on if 3Dsmax,Zbrush and all that is going to run fine as well as games and steam.
all the best,thanks in advance.
-Levi

Replies

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Windows 10 is still very similar to Vista, Win 7, and Win 8. There might be some minor hiccups, but most things should work. The main advantage of Window 10 is going to be DX12, I can't wait to try the UE4 build of it. I've only heard good things about Win 10 so far, it's also better optimized for SSDs.
  • DEElekgolo
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Got my ssd ready to reformat to for when it comes out!
    Gonna be my reason to reformat and get more organized this time around. Been hearing nothing but good things about DX12.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    One simple way to look at it : if you are concerned about a new OS potentially not being fully compatible with your work tools, which are pretty much the most important things ever, then simply don't upgrate at all until more reports come in.

There is no benefit in taking the risk - so don't even bother with it for now !
  • Count Vertsalot
    I would wait. Autodesk usually has something stupid that goes wrong when a new OS is released. You'll probably have to wait for next year's software version for everything to work right. You could always install Windows 10 and keep your current OS on a separate partition and have a dual boot setup to test things.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    DX12 is too tempting, I'm installing the release client once it's available.
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I have not the latest versions of my main work tools usually so perhaps it's the reason why Photoshop, 3d max , Wacom drivers and a lot of small useful plugins , all worked with glitches once I updated from win7 to win8.

Even Zbrush was crashy as hell on win8 till the few latest free updates.

Right now everything is seems working fine on 8.1. After I updated most of the software and bought high speed ssd. Still don't feel an eager desire to update Windows again , dx12 or not.
  • WarrenM
    DX12 is too tempting
    How so? What will DX12 bring to the table that it's worth risking the bugs and incompatibilities to your existing apps?
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Apparently it is free to upgrade for a year so I probably wait until it has reached the last month of that and then buy a new computer with an SSD then and see how compatibility is a year later.
  • Anthony
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    I'm a bit on the fence about W10, I'm not really all that bothered about DX12, since i doubt it'll make a whole lot of difference anyway, and my monitor doesn't support touch so, that's out.

IF I do upgrade, i'll have to build myself a whole new system (which i'm planning to do later this year hopefully), the drivers for my main board only go up to vista, and i'd need a bigger main drive, plus an extra for Win 7, as there's no way i'd ever try to put two OSs on one 400GB drive, which is what i'm currently using.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    All I needed to know about Win 10 is it comes with Candy Crush PRE-INSTALLED. Sounds like windows 10 is going to be a giant market of ads.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/14/8607591/candy-crush-saga-windows-10
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    And my copy of Windows 95 had Chip's Challenge pre-installed.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Mstankow wrote: »
    And my copy of Windows 95 had Chip's Challenge pre-installed.

last i checked that did not have paywalls or micro transactions
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Oh no, a game is included with the OS?! This is the first time a company has ever pulled this shit. It doesn't already happen with different PC companies, phones, smart TVs, etc.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    They should have minecraft pre-installed on it... at least thats what I would do if I were Microsoft... then rank in a ton of money from the secondary market of licensed goods.

10 is really looking good though. Seems like its a completely new company under this new CEO.
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    was trailing it for a bit and it was great with max and the other tools I have, shouldn't give you too much trouble man.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    pior wrote: »
    One simple way to look at it : if you are concerned about a new OS potentially not being fully compatible with your work tools, which are pretty much the most important things ever, then simply don't upgrate at all until more reports come in.

There is no benefit in taking the risk - so don't even bother with it for now !

pretty much this. Although the sign is annoying as fuck.