Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pinup Girl

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
octokitty polycounter lvl 14
Edit: Last update - pretty much finished! Just need to turn it into an album cover now:
EES7pgW.jpg

It's been way too long since my last thread here! I am working on a pinup girl that will be used for a friend's album cover. I don't have a concrete idea of the final product yet, but something along the lines of:
549138-27614-23.jpg
There will be beer in this image somehow, like a vintage beer ad... Anyway, I'll be making a full model just in case. Here's where I am so far:
uhVRnoz.jpg8AeefDb.jpg
th8KVQG.jpg
Hair is placeholder. I'm still trying to figure out how stylized I want this. I guess this is more experimental for me, so I'll figure it out as I go. Any feedback is appreciated :)

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good!

Right now the lip forms are way too sharp, is probably the only worthwhile crit i have right now.

The internal forms of the hips look a bit weird, but you seem to be on the right track. Keep going!
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    I guess you could add some cheeks, reduce the cheeckbones, and do the tip of the nose smaller and more pointy, cuter.

I also suggest that you either use a skin shader ( Hazardous did a good one there : http://hazardousarts.deviantart.com/art/Zbrush-Skin-Material-332639261 ), or you can color the skin and use a white shader, like... well... skinshade4 from zbrush ^^. You'll have a better idea of the result, gray skin might look weird. Just my opinion.
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice guys. I worked on the face more and downloaded those awesome zbrush materials! Small update here:
    IyouinH.jpg
    Will move onto refining the body and figuring out the hairstyle next!
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update:
    4pc9pWL.jpg
    9i0cCyL.jpg
    Been moving a little slow on this so far and there has been a slight change to my original idea. Instead of an old fashion pinup girl, I will be doing a more modern, edgy pinupy girl, kind of like this:
    36144-pinspo1.jpg?w=660
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe her chin is a bit too big and low. Small chins are cuter.

Also hit the BPR button next time you want to take a screen, it will do a render with shadows, anti aliasing and make the shader look better. You can also apply a shader to specific parts to avoid them being all pink. Try to put a white shader on the eyes for example ( like skinshade4 or plastic if you want specular ).
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had no idea you could assign different materials to different subtools! Thank you for that tip Texelion, that is awesome.

So I may be going with an undercut now, which I'm pretty excited about. I roughed in the hair and made changes to the chin:

E31dzJp.jpg
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally finished the shirt and made some very minor changes to the face. Looking for feedback mainly on the shirt right now, I can't tell if it looks weird... Thanks!

QCxWXax.jpg
    YleJ5no.jpg
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One more quick update for tonight, I finished the shorts so now the clothing is done! I'll be giving her flip flops, but that will come later. Next step is finishing the body sculpt since I've only done her face so far. Let me know if there are any issues!

dL8ONU8.jpg
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Nice progress so far!
    I really like the shirt, although it could have a few more crisp creases,
    right now it gives the impression it is made from wool.
    Other than that I think her ears popping out a bit could provide some more flow to her face.
    Keep it up!!
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for that advice Firith, I tried crisping up the shirt a bit and think it should be better now!

I've finally baked the normals and started on the hair. There are minor issues on the leg that I will fix later. First time playing with GMH2, and it seems pretty awesome. This is just a Maya Viewport 2.0 render, still need to figure out how I will light and render the final product. I also still need to figure out her piercings, so I will be rebaking some normals for that, and I will be adding flip flops, buttons and other small details later.

qZI5Ly9.jpg
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure this kind of hair would be good, most of the time all those "hair and fur" systems make the hair look really fake, and alpha hair is generally the weak spot in games, which can make nice characters very ugly ( look at Skyrim, Dragon Age Inquisition, etc ).

If you'r going for a stylized character you could perfectly sculpt the hair and keep it in polygons. What you did with the pink hair was a good start. If you're going for rendered hair in Maya or something you'll have to spend a lot of time getting it right, and even in the best renders I've seen it generally looks kinda fake.

Now about the overall style of the girl, if you're going for a modern pinup with piercing and a strange haircut, I'd say go crazy and look at the Suicide Girls. Add some nice tatoos and stuff ^^. I don't like girls with tatoos and piercings everytwhere but some of those girls are really beautiful.

You can find a lot of refs on Tumblr ( nsfw ) :

http://suicidegirlsalbum.tumblr.com/

Last thing, I fell like the palm of the hand are too short compared to the fingers. Might just be the view.

Oh and you could add the glasses from your ref, it's sexy.
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Texelion, thanks for the input! You might be right about sculpted hair vs GMH... I was originally gonna go with sculpted but was excited about trying this new process. I think what I'll do is try both and see what looks best later. That way I can get some extra practice with both types of hair.

btw, I'm definitely gonna be using Suicide Girls as reference! Thanks again :)
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working on the hair a lot today, I'm actually really excited about how it's looking... I may not end up doing sculpted hair at all depending on how it looks with texture and everything. Still needs work, but I feel it's almost there. I'm not sure how I will light this so I just put a physical sun/sky for now. I've also added piercings and am ready to finally start texturing! Here's my progress from earlier today to now:

bXeEzWC.jpg
    6LduzVY.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Somehow I feel like her eyes are a tad too big, as in, too long. Liking everything else though !!
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm looking into the eyes, thanks for that feedback Pyrzen!

So I have a question. I'm trying to figure out how to render in Mental Ray so I get the hair, but I also want to get PBR textures, since I'm using Substance Painter. I have been researching for the past 4 days and cannot figure out how to do it in Maya! What would be the best way to do this? I thought maybe Maya's Mila shader would work, but I am so confused about those, maybe I'm missing something. I tried downloading a CGFX pbr shader for maya but it only works with hardware 2.0 renderer. I'm SO confused and frustrated, please help!
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still trying to figure out how I will render this in the end with the GMH hair, but I have plenty of time to work on it. Here's the final texture with some placeholder hair, and a shot with sunglasses. Not sure if I'll use them in the end or not. I may change her shirt color, I'm thinking about a plaid texture but it may be too much. The tattoo on her arm is mirrored, but it shouldn't show up in the pose I'm thinking of putting her in - definitely something I completely overlooked though. I still need to model a beer mug/glass, that will be interesting!

kKdj9XL.jpg
    8PMbHmI.jpg
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isn't PBR mostly used in games and realtime rendering ? Maybe you can just use normal shaders with mental ray, with SSS and stuff.
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    this is progressing really well
    looking forward to this
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Texelion, you are right, PBR is mostly used in games - not rendering... I hadn't really thought about that simple fact, so I will start looking more into mental ray shaders. I was making some progress with Mila shaders the other day, so I'll continue along that route!
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a while since I posted anything, but I have been working on this a lot! Here's a test render I did last weekend:

k6qT26b.png
    Lighting is temp and clothing shader isn't refined yet, skin probably needs more work too (I'm using Mila shaders). Hair is close, but it still needs some tweaks in the shading department... Recently I have added eyelashes and teeth and almost finished rigging her. Just about ready for posing!
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress! I have just about finalized the pose for the album cover, and started working on the lighting, materials and render quality again. I'm planning on trying render passes, which I've never done before. I still haven't really touched the clothing. I'm definitely gonna need to do some paintover work here and there, the face especially, I couldn't get her expression quite right (I should've just modeled her with a smile!). Still need to actually finish the beer bottle too...

cWgoTdb.jpg
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another update, just about finished! This will probably be my last update on this:
    EES7pgW.jpg