Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

High Poly of Sci-Fi Shotgun

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
4bidn polycounter lvl 5
I have had the green light to post this for a while now. I am just finally getting around to doing so. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

The renders were done in zbrush. The ones in 3ds Max weren't much better and were taking way too long.

oGJTC1f.jpg
BSEzrtu.jpg
LUJCpQ4.jpg
rOxcj8h.jpg
uXsd6mf.jpg
M8XGMUb.jpg
OiVBiJV.jpg
XLVOloN.jpg

Replies

• Rawbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rawbert polycounter lvl 5
    The gun itself looks really cool
    But it does'nt look comfort to hold
  • snoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snoop polycounter lvl 7
    Rawbert has a point. The gun does look cool and the modeling looks pretty spot-on, but I couldn't imagine holding that thing anywhere other than at the hip, and it would probably still be difficult and unwieldy at that.
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    The aesthetics and execution of the model are spot on.

But I do question the feasibility of having five tube magazines on a revolving dolly that looks easily broken when a large detachable drum magazine could have the same capacity and function much better. Also what mechanism revolves the tubes?
  • OFPismySOP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OFPismySOP polycounter lvl 6
    Kaine123 wrote: »
    The aesthetics and execution of the model are spot on.

But I do question the feasibility of having five tube magazines on a revolving dolly that looks easily broken when a large detachable drum magazine could have the same capacity and function much better. Also what mechanism revolves the tubes?

It rotates automatically, which is pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=i-koXI1iEK8#t=52

I do agree with you on the "looks easily broken" part though. The weapon appears to have way too much material taken out of it for its own good.
  • 4bidn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4bidn polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you for the comments!

I believe changing the handguard (the part over the magazine) and how it attaches in the rear would be a big improvement. You guys made some good points. I made so many cutouts in the handguard so you could see the magazine more, as I thought it was more interesting to look at. But in doing so the tube looks lace like and fragile as well as looking uncomfortable to hold, not good. The joint at the rear of the handguard rail is weak looking, so i will make that more solid looking.

@ Kaine123 As OFPismySOP posted (nice vid) I based the gun off the XRail. The magazine is spring loaded and even when empty under tension. So the first round loaded would be the last round fired. It only rotates about a 180 degrees or back to where it started. When firing, it is the magazine followers in each tube that trigger the release when they are empty.

I thought having big detachable drums would be too awkward, of course so is having it attached. I am OK with that, as fits the nature of this gun.

Fixing these areas and softening a lot of the edges. And I am going to do the low poly. I already left the team some time ago, but I just offered to do the in game model. I felt it would be good for both parties. :)

CyVniyg.jpg
  • 4bidn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4bidn polycounter lvl 5
    Better Gooder?
    frDJDtT.jpg
    jpOYKq2.jpg