Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Geralt of Rivia sculpt (Michał Żebrowski) WIP

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Mr Flopsie polycounter lvl 5
Hi everyone!
For our final assignment of the character creation course I decided to make a sculpt of Geralt. But with all the hype for The Witcher 3 I decided to change it a bit. So I decided I would make him like Michał Żebrowski from the tv show.
Currently I'm still in the blockout phase and feedback is appreciated as I'm a bit stuck with Michał's likeness..

UDBhi3s.jpg
UhPB0Ar.jpgvbghTee.jpgLV2VEdf.jpg

I'll try to update the thread regularly.
Thanks! :)

Replies

• Mr Flopsie
    Offline / Send Message
    Done for today.

WrnVOgJ.jpg
  • Mr Flopsie
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost done with the blockout.

jSEkwiZ.jpg
  • Mirhale
    Offline / Send Message
    Mirhale vertex
  • Mr Flopsie
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update.
    Finals are coming up. I have 2 weeks left.

cDPj2ZV.png
  • Mr. Darko
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr. Darko polycounter lvl 4
    Very nice. In this latest iteration (it didn't seem to be a problem in your earlier WIP pics), it seems to me like his legs could be a little thicker; right now when I imagine his proportions without the armor he kinda has chicken-legs. It's not inhuman proportions by any means, but it doesn't imply strength. It could just be my imagination, though.

Also, this is the first I've heard of there having been a TV show. I imagine the people behind the games took a lot of visual inspiration from it. Interesting.
  • Mr Flopsie
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply! Yeah, someone else also mentioned to adjust some of the proportions like shoulders, arm and legs. But I had some problems with transpose master. Will try again tomorrow or so.

As far as I know the show and the game don't have much in common except that it's both based on the novels. I'm giving him the armor of the game, it's just the head that's based from the show :P
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Definitely needs a beard ^^. It can help with the likeness by covering the face too. And some eyebrows. people underestimate the effect of facial hair ( and make-up on women ).
  • Mr Flopsie
    Offline / Send Message
    Will do! Not sure if I should go with fibermesh or just sculpt in the facial hair
  • Mr Flopsie
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadline is next monday, almost done. The swords need some more work, the other objects are ready for poly painting. After that the only thing that's left is posing him..

I hope the surface detail on the leather armor and clothes is not too subtle?
    6brR30f.jpg
    QwNC9Ci.jpg
  • Stavaas
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    He looks great! But for some reason it feels like his torso is too short compared to his feet. I'm no expert on anatomy, but to me it feels wrong.
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Decent start but I think you went to detailing too early rather than getting the mass and proportions down. Legs are too straight, there arent any silhouette changes to most of the body, and the overall mass and proportion of the figure looks a bit unpolished. Look at the torso and then look at the legs and how it compares. Arms are also a bit too short. Keep working on it tho.
  • Mr Flopsie
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Stavaas and garriola. I've made some subtle tweaks, probably still not 100%. But I'm not gonna do any drastic changes at this point. My exam is in a few hours so I'll post the final renders here afterwards!
    Probably also gonna keep tweaking it this summer, and maybe do a game model of it.
  • Mr Flopsie
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok this is what I handed in yesterday. The render was really rushed and the pose has some errors in it.
    I got a lot of great feedback from my teacher, so I'll definitly keep tweaking this the following weeks.

FqPqKlX.jpg

0pJ8gPd.jpg
  • Mr Flopsie
    Offline / Send Message
    Reworked the polypaint and some details like the chainmail. Might still do a clay render.

Artstation

flore-vanackere-fullweb.jpg?1437593224
    flore-vanackere-web.jpg
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    suince youre doing a highpoly render, why not work with fibermesh and well defined materials?
    right now the render very much has a zBrush-standard-material feeling
    and the hair doesnt blend that well with the skin... the facial hair is also kinda blurry as is the scar i think you can push this further

i really like the sculpt, its all nice and smooth, the chainmail looks awesome and crispness and detail of the armour are well done!
    bear in mind that the face is one of the most important parts of your character
    and at the moment a weak point of your presentation

may be interesting for you http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.co.at/2008/05/color-zones-of-face.html

this will add more believability and depth to the face
  • Mr Flopsie
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Skodone, thanks for the feedback!
    This was my first full character, so I've never used fibermesh before. I tried experimenting with it but it didn't work out. I needed more practice with it. And sculpting hair is also something I need work with. The beard was tricky to do because I didn't want the same material as the skin and as far as I know you can't directly blend materials in keyshot, so that was done in photoshop.
    I think I was too careful adding pores and wrinkles as you can barely see them, and indeed the polypaint is a bit flat.. I think the full body render works better than the portrait.

About the materials, also first time using keyshot, tried to make a leather material and that was used on most armor parts. The skin was the standard Human skin material.

Thanks for the link and feedback! Good information!