Home General Discussion

Marketing yourself as a freelancer

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
Does anyone know any strategy's that have worked for marketing yourself as a first time freelancer other than shotgunning your portfolio to any companies that your work might be relevant too?

Thanks!

Replies

• Rockley Bonner
    Offline / Send Message
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Do good work and post it in visible places. As boring or cliche or whatever, awards or top row honors like the weekly recap, art station picks, 3dtotal awards, cgtalk/cgfeedback/zbrushcentral top row, weekly recap etc --- they really help, a definite noticeable uptick in portfolio views and inquiries about freelance availability etc.

Going for these things sounds like an exercise in vanity, I realize. Mostly my point is that if you post good work in visible places like these sites, you're going to catch someone's eye and they will contact you.

The other huge way to find work is to know and support other freelancers. Facebook is a fantastic place to create a network and make friends. If you can be genuine, supportive, and helpful, you'll expand your network. When I am offered work I can't take and have to decline, I always do so with a few recommendations of artists who I know would be a good fit for the position and who are looking, most of them I met on Facebook or the hangouts or in PM, or random other places.
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    My personal opinion: Work your way up in the games industry, make friends/contacts, build an internet presence, leave job at "9-5" games job, work from home through contacts and build a reputation and lasting friendships with companies that enjoy working with outsource/freelance. Could even apply for studios that allow remote contract work, technically the same thing as freelance. Key point, SOLID portfolio.

Not saying you are not doing any of that already, but just kinda my notes on what I have gathered from friends and time on polycount. The struggle is real, in both freelance and landing a AAA position.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I don't think being a freelancer differs much from being an in-house artist.

A great portfolio is a must, some shipped titles help, combined with a solid network and a good reputation.

Only difference is, being an artist in-house means you don't have to update your portfolio as often.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    @Bonner; I watched few videos that give a bit of an information regarding how to break in as a freelancer I hope you find this useful.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfOd1-nEMu4[/ame]
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Only difference is, being an artist in-house means you don't have to update your portfolio as often.

Yeah, I got spoiled on that, it got to the point where I didn't even have a portfolio anymore. I quit my 9 to 5 game job around the end of January, I've been getting a few small freelance jobs through connections but I really need to get my butt in gear and make a portfolio.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    A smart move would be to have a portfolio link in your signature, or at least an artstation portfolio.

at the moment the first link I entered from your signature was your sketchbook and the work in there seems quite old.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    I've actually gotten quite a few work offers from people that liked my sketchfab models. I'd highly recommend that site and having a compelling display for your model.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

@Jonas, It links to the first page. its around 12 pages over a span of around 8 years.