Home Technical Talk

Struggling with "hollow" mesh

HashBrownHamish
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
HashBrownHamish polycounter lvl 5
So i want to make a nice looking ceramic mesh for a Gas lamp i'm modelling and this is the last bit that needs UV'ing etc..

Looks like this:

Glowing_gas_mantle.jpg

Problem is i can't figure out for the life of me how to handle this. I tried to do micromesh and bake down the detail onto a low_poly but the results are really bad.

Any ideas?

Replies

• GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    Is this for high res. or game ?
  • HashBrownHamish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Game, i managed to make a High Res mesh using micromesh but i couldn't manage to bake it down to low
  • gruntpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gruntpunch polycounter lvl 5
    Hey HashBrownHamish,

I think the best way to get this type of detail would be to bake out a Color ID Map from your Hi-Res to your Low-Res along with a Normal Map, AO, etc. Fill the Micromesh in ZBrush with a color (not white) and in your map baking package of choice bake out a Color ID Map and use that as an Alpha to get the transparency. If you're using XNormal make sure to turn off ignore vertex color on your High Poly imported mesh.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like a mantle for a gas lantern?
    How close are you really going to get to this and how important is this detail in the grand scheme of things?
    What engine are you using?
    Is it behind glass? Are you going to fog the glass?
    Is it on? Would it be glowing? If so it would probably obscure any micro detail.
    2822527_Coleman-Premium-Powerhouse-Dual-Fuel-Lantern.jpg
  • HashBrownHamish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like a mantle for a gas lantern?
    How close are you really going to get to this and how important is this detail in the grand scheme of things?
    What engine are you using?
    Is it behind glass? Are you going to fog the glass?
    Is it on? Would it be glowing? If so it would probably obscure any micro detail.
    2822527_Coleman-Premium-Powerhouse-Dual-Fuel-Lantern.jpg

Hey i just started back on this after a few months of work so sorry for the late reply.

.I want to use unity 5 just because it seems more friendly than other engines and i feel like it's a good starting point
    .Very important detail, this is supposed to be a first person equipable item thing so it is in the players view always.
    .Behind glass yes, don't know what you mean by fog (haven't done much modelling with glass)
    .I want it to be on yes but it can also be off.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Use an image/texture as displacement with Alpha as transparency and bake the maps out.

It's going to cost you with map size (a 2k displacement map will struggle to look good) but that's the drawback :poly121: