Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Working on handpainted textures!

my93eI2.png6Uow4bx.jpgI have never really done hand painted textures until this past year at school, and even that was for just one project. I am really hoping to get critiques going forward on how to improve and I will try to be doing a prop a day, or a tiling texture, depending on how much time I have. I am just starting out, so any advice/paint overs would be GREATLY appreciated.

Here is day 1, big red jungle flower I don't know the name of XD

Replies

• salmika
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lj9kehn.jpgWk7znJj.pngI have also done day 2 as I am a day late in posting, I took some advice from friends on making the poly count higher on the flower, and I know those little spikes looked very ugly with the transparency but I assure you I fixed up those gross floaty bits!

Day 2 is a leafy tall plant.
    I really wasn't sure what to do with the stem, and my leaves really aren't polished at all but bare with me!
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Looks really good so far, you need some edge padding though, especially on your leaves since they're masked.

Also I'd suggest uploading your images to imgur or dropbox then linking them, you'll get more replies than using attachments since people can't view attachments unless they're logged in
  • Stranger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stranger polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah, edge padding. but i love the warm feeling from it.
  • salmika
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars- Thanks for the tip, I'm new to posting on poly count! For edge padding, would I need to use an alpha and a targa versus a png? I didn't make an alpha as I used a png and the background color would show since it automatically does transparency when there is no back ground. Is one better than the other?

Stranger- Is edge padding just adding a color background in case of the transparency issues I was having with extra paint strokes? I know in Xnormals you can change the edge padding/ whatever is around the objects UVS but I've never used it with plants before
  • Stranger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stranger polycounter lvl 5
    salmika wrote: »
    AtticusMars- Thanks for the tip, I'm new to posting on poly count! For edge padding, would I need to use an alpha and a targa versus a png? I didn't make an alpha as I used a png and the background color would show since it automatically does transparency when there is no back ground. Is one better than the other?

Stranger- Is edge padding just adding a color background in case of the transparency issues I was having with extra paint strokes? I know in Xnormals you can change the edge padding/ whatever is around the objects UVS but I've never used it with plants before
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Edge_padding this should give you a good idea.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth

I think you'll probably have to use targa, but I am not entirely sure how PNG generates its mask. It'll be easier to work with on TGA though because your transparency mask will be separated into the alpha channel.

There's a lot of ways to fix it, you could just paint into the empty space of your texture. I would just use xnormals Photoshop filter personally.

Here's a good demo of the issue in blender and how to fix it:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c_BZZbIBPs[/ame]

Also there are other solutions at the bottom of that wiki page stranger link.

Edit: missed something you said
  • salmika
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately I didn't have much time to work today but here is the texture I started for leaf clumps for a tree. Soon I'll need to delve into actually making my first tileable texture. 7fNFblj.png
  • salmika
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanted to make up a scene to actually put the assets I'm making into, so I drew up a rough sketch of what I wanted to do and started to mess with the colors and lighting. I also started doing a greybox for the scene, let me know what you think!
    1cWlXAZ.jpg
  • happybell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is day 1, big red jungle flower I don't know the name of XD

i solved the mystery for you :poly124: p.s. they stink
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafflesia

on the other hand, some nice looking textures you are having here. they seem to be very luminous or strongly lit. make sure your scene is able to gel with the assets!
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    atomander polycounter lvl 7
    Beautiful style, salmika! Just saw one of those Rafflesia at a flower conservatory the other week, you nailed it! Really love the color and lighting you've painted into these, and looking forward to seeing more.
  • salmika
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I drew up another sketch for how I want the scene to look and I like this a lot better than my previous drawing. I'm going for a swampy area with a cottage designed around a blacksmith's house. Let me know what you think! Adding my greybox so far:
    GawF1zU.jpg
    wZiVsrw.jpg
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    There's some design issue with you scene, Rafflesia grow in rainforest of the southeastern Asia, Not in swamp, they need really stable ground in order to grow since they are so big and heavy. Also since they are carnivorous plant, they don't need much water, just humidity is enough, you'll definitively never find a rafflesia in a swamp, it would die right away.

Rafflesia stinks, a lot and when they are that big, they don't grow that near each other because they would starve to death. (They used their stinky odor to attract the food.

Also the choice of a blacksmith house make no sense. Why on hell would a blacksmith live somewhere that would kill his business. A blacksmith cannot live by itself, it need to be either near it's buyer or near it's source of metal, so either a town or a mountain. Also it would be extremely hard to forge in such an environment, the forge is already super hot, a swamp is humid and hard to breath in, making any effort really hard. Also fire is a bitch to get on in thos kind of place and a blacksmith need constant wood or coal to aliment it's fire. There's neither of that in a swamp, the wood is humid and damp and there's no coal.

It would make more sense if you did a voodoo or a witch house. Even an herborist one ! I think you need to do more research for you design phase, it may seems not important but it is really important to know what you're doing. We live in 2015 it's really easy to find reference to help you design, just open pinterest and type in swamp, you'll find a lot of plant that really do grow in swamp. You'll see there's really few flower as there's no bee to pollinate them, only butterfly.
  • Cube Republic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cube Republic polycounter lvl 11
    Solidify photoshop filter (free) from flaming pear is great for making padding on alpha transparencies or any UV islands for that matter.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    I only hand paint, it's a pain, but you learn to love it, atleast I did :)
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    To one up on Odow's critique... at this phase with crit like that... you can either stick to your original theme or just change it to fit the assets you already have since it's still early on in your production stage... just comes down to what you'd rather do tbh... if your mind's set on swamp then you'll probably have to eliminate a few of your current completed assets... but if you for example changed your theme to a forest... then it would already fix a lot of the problems that Odow's already pointed out which are in fact pretty solid points.

Design and functionality are what sell the believable features of an art piece... so things that don't make sense tend to come off as poor research... If none of us here say it, interviewers and industry artists would be thinking it if they're familiar with your theme.

Either way, the textures seem to be coming along nicely, my critique would be to maybe use a wider variation of tonal value on your highlights to give off difference in height detail on things like your leaves etc... as right now it looks like every bump that comes out of the leaf is popping out at the same distance.

Good luck :) Ciao!
  • salmika
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow- Thanks for the write up! I will definitely need to rethink my designs and come up with something logical, and probably just scrap the raffelsia altogether as it just causes many design errors for me no matter what scene I am doing. Coming up with the concept is certainly not one of my strong points, so I will be working harder on that- and doing more research!

Kid.in.the.Dark- Luckily I am not particularly attached to anything at this stage and I am willing to change anything that doesn't make sense or seems out of place. I'm posting on polycount exactly for people to point out when I am doing bad so I can correct myself early on :)

CreativeSheep- I'm trying to learn to love it D: but I am very rough at it still, I'll be posting my rough tiling wood texture soon to prove how rough I really am XD

Cube Republic- I didn't know about that, thanks!
  • JoystickMonkey
    I really like your handpainted artstyle. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this in the future!