Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE4 - Futuristic cathedral

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Zemskiss polycounter lvl 5
Final update:

Video render:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJggkZlhass&feature=iv&src_vid=-LJ1LR6p7_s&annotation_id=annotation_4152564285[/ame]

UE4 screenshots:

d7eaee_7b923be7c4794fa5930ee2b3d6fc9b4c.png_srb_p_1660_934_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srb

d7eaee_d362ff2bcebe44adbbbf20b892da9b23.png_srb_p_1660_934_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srb

d7eaee_9aedbbc4f5564b81955d6dbd4958d8bb.png_srb_p_1660_934_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srb

d7eaee_05550b9b0ad64461afaf757b7bf21204.png_srb_p_1660_934_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srb

d7eaee_14f8d8c3c57f4a489c8abd6a83583ccd.png_srb_p_1660_934_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srb

d7eaee_9718f0ede91143b78c7a53cd88c34f74.png_srb_p_1660_934_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srb

d7eaee_a8d132aaceae4ff8a27984b4d589decf.png_srb_p_1660_934_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srb

d7eaee_a94741406ec34e13a6d5976bdc109a34.png_srb_p_1660_934_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srb

Interior

d7eaee_a6cf0844123140f9b11be73352931f49.png_srb_p_1660_934_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srb

d7eaee_7b148aeff2614c6c8e4bb7e6c356f237.png_srb_p_1660_934_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srb

d7eaee_48d75cad277a4151ae150aeeb1d7dbb0.png_srb_p_1660_934_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srb

d7eaee_8571b98c2a6e4ec8af098f2146facaa0.png_srb_p_1660_934_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srb

d7eaee_bfcf46c50ca34ebab0ebcfb94c2bdef8.png_srb_p_1660_934_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srb

For current project I am essentially trying recreate a 12-15th century cathedral in a sci-fi setting. Geometry wise, the building should have an identical silhouette that is seen on structures such as Reims cathedral, yet the materials and props should look fairly modern. While building should look modern, it doesn't mean that it shouldn't utilise materials such as stone or concrete,however. There always should be a solid balance between organic,stone structures and "sci-fi/tech" related props.

2075m60.png

When it comes to intricate architectural details, I really want to try and cover an entire cathedral with golden floral and square shaped props to make it look a bit more rich.

2e0ljzk.png

Last but not least, for my game industry references I am primarily focusing on games like: Gears of war, Deus ex, Castlevania:LoS series. Also, last week I got extreeeemely inspired by latest trailers for Final Fantasy XV.

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At the moment, the palette feels a bit muddled; light gray & sky blue don't really go with black & gold.

If you're going for bright, gilded surfaces, then look at Eastern churches - especially Russian - rather than western ones. Western cathedrals tended to have rather drab surfaces with ornate stone work; the only color was typically on the windows.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    I can feel the pawah of this piece
  • Zemskiss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker - This is probably the biggest issue I've had nearly for a week. You see, the golden flower and "square" patterns with black,glossy material was something that I've put down as "must" in terms of architectural style in order to make details pop. In regards of stone texture, I mostly took references from a couple of buildings from New York. The reason for that is, well...both tower structures should actually look more like "engraved" skyscrapers rather than what we see on cathedral references I had above. Material wise, it should be more modern,skyscraper'y, rather than obvious stone work with paint on top of it that we see in churches sometimes.

Also, after taking a look at Russian churches, I can now definitely see what you mean. I can't unfortunately envision how the pillars and walls will look like with solid or drabbed paint, so this is something I'll have to test out in engine. My only worry is that if I go with a solid paint like this, won't I lose too much detail on flat surfaces of walls/pillars to the point where black and gold pieces become the focal point of an asset, putting everything else to shame?

Before trying out painted texture instead of stone/concrete one, I decided to mess around with colour grading of what I have at the moment first. While 20% still seems to be acceptable, everything else look "meh".

2zybyiw.png

r6w9ci.png

I will also try and redo the stone texture with something like that's seen here:

245brdd.png

Thanks for feedback! :thumbup:

Finalhart - Will do my best! :)
  • fab-camp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fab-camp polycounter lvl 6
    I think you should go back to your conceptphase.
    I get the impression you know very little about were to go with your church at this point. start looking for a design in 3d and engine doesnt seem to be the best way.
    you might create more concept in 2d first, getting overall and detailed forms clear. as well as colorpalette.

or lets put it that way: you dont design a cathedral from the first floor upwards :)
  • Zemskiss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fab-Camp - I did actually create a couple of concepts before I started modelling things for UE4 :)

After I gathered all references I made a couple of simple 3d sketches inside 3ds max:

2qce89h.png

2irlo38.png

And eventually everything ended up me doing bsp blockout inside of UE4 to have a modular base to work on. All assets that were created so far do not match presented concepts at all, specifically because I had new ideas flowing at that point when I was doing modelling itself.

While I do have a strong vision of how the building should like on geometrical level at the moment, I do have to agree, color palette definitely needs to be sorted to progress anywhere at this point. I will try to get even more reference now, considering that yours and DWalker's feedback is leaning towards the same direction where the core of all problems is my selected material definition. Most likely will end up making some refined concept pieces to represent the final version of the "cathedral" as well. :thumbup:
  • Yuke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuke polycounter lvl 5
    I think you've made a good start here with the reference you've gathered and with your block out but I do agree with Fab-Camp.

As you've shown you did a model in Max at the start to thrown down some ideas, which is good for structure and silhouette but I would recommend taking that a step further and doing a few paint-overs or photo-bashing with it to work out the direction you want to take this piece in.

This should really help with your colour palette too, as DWalker posted, I'm not sure what yoy have colour-wise works. Whites and Blacks compliment gold well (for the exterior).

I'd be tempted to set this piece at night as well with some up-lights to really push through the materials and make the golds glimmer, but that's more of a personal choice than anything else.

Keep at it, it's an interesting piece (Y)
  • Zemskiss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, didn't update this thread for a quite while, so decided to share some progress.

After going through all feedback, I decided to take a step back an reassess the situation and sort out the concept. Eventually, I ended up with a simplified version of a cathedral combined with industrial and sci-fi'ish elements. Some stuff looks a bit disconnected here and there, but it's all WIP ;)

82xGFMe.jpg

ieVWT2h.jpg

V6PDUyV.jpg

IwG9Tis.jpg
  • Lt_Commander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    woha, that's quite an update! Very impressive work. I'm getting Talos Principle kind of vibes from it, but just barely. You've done a good job finding a style that really is cut from its own cloth.

Can't wait to see what you do with the inside.
  • wccrawford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wccrawford polycounter lvl 4
    Nice job so far! I was having trouble visualizing what you were aiming at, but I can definitely see it now.
  • Zemskiss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky update.
    Apart from slightly redesigning the sides of the building and calibrating certain materials, I was primarily focusing on creating statues. From this point on I really want to focus on the front entrance as it lacks any sort of detail.

XaH1tXg.jpg

ICP5XIM.jpg

uZ9TktD.jpg
  • Zemskiss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! It's been a while!

So I'm finally starting to wrap things up with this piece. Currently it needs a bit of tweaking here and there, as well as adding blueprints to the level so that player could navigate around the whole environment...or 70% of it at very least. The whole thing, depending on different locations, runs around 55-28 fps on GTX 680.

Any feedback is appreciated! :)

*Moved progress to the top of the page*
  • Zemskiss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Moved progress to the top of the page*
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    great work and its nice to see a exterior and interior piece, i find it hard to do.
  • Zemskiss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tweaked the lighting for the exterior part of the project for the last time, alongside global post processing effects. Moving on to redoing proper video render.

JnVG0MX.jpg
    4EIEr3x.jpg
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    wow this is amazing. I think the white exterior works really well with the trees
  • Zemskiss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you :) IF it wasn't for the feedback from previous posts, the building could've been dark grey right now. Kinda glad I didn't go that way.
  • Zemskiss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made final renders and moved some content to the top post.
    This should finally wrap things up with this project!
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    This looks fantastic!
    One thing I'd revisit is the long exterior shots in your vid where you do more than one camera move.

Excellent work :)
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Wow this is awesome! :D