Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge May 2015 (30)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Poinball polycounter lvl 6
30w4euc.png
Hello everyone and archlcome to the Monthly Noob Challenge for the month of May.

Welcome to the third installment of the challenge for the year of 2015!

Join our Skype group if you want! Add me on Skype and I will add you to the group.
Me: noble.wulf

You don't have to join the Skype if you don't want to though, and you don't need to ask to participate in the challenge, just start working and post your progress in this thread!

KF4R9g8.png
288qrmx.jpg
Artist - Howard
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/80486-Stargate-Worlds-environment-concept

5Twoeut.png
The_Last_of_Us_Concept_Art_Flamethrower_NG-01.jpg
Artist - GINDRAUX
http://conceptartworld.com/?p=24769

5SGB61o.png
Feel free to approach either of the concepts however you like but I'd recommend making it as modular as possible to save time and keep things optimized. It's really up to you, and as long as you are learning, it doesn't matter right?

Also if you want to change up either concept a bit, as some people wanted, then feel free. Interpret these concepts to your liking.

There are some things that I would like to point out to for newcomers.
If you only want to do a few props as best you can, then feel free to go ahead and do it. This way you can gradually work on building up to a full scene before diving head-first into the whole ordeal.

B3Uy2w0.png
Please read all the rules before starting.

When you are just starting out making a scene, it can seem complicated or imposing, so take the time to break it down.

Think about how you can re-use assets, re-use textures, break it down as simple as possible and plan it out. A lot of people will break it down in their own way when they start out their challenge. Gather some reference images as well for different parts of the scene, maybe gather some refs and make it your own.

Take your time planning and blocking out, it will set you up for success later on.

Here are some specifics.
Try to post one critique for every post that you make. This will make for a better learning environment and help us all grow as artists.

You must make your own textures, no stealing. We can't keep you from doing it, but the goal is to learn. You can use other textures and images to create your final texture, but please, no blatant copying of another artist's work.
You must use a game engine to present your work. Unreal Engine and CryEngine are very common engines that can be used, but feel free to use any alternatives that you want.

You must try your best and finish as much as you can in the time frame provided.

Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique. We don't need to have 1000 disjointed threads littering the forums.

I would strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel, but it must stay very close to the concept, if not super close.

Please stay away from using Ddo. It's great if you know what you're doing, and for a production pipeline supplement, but other than that, please don't use it. Ndo2 is allowed. This was talked about in the other thread, so please don't complain.

Well that's about it. If you think that any rules should be changed, or there should be new additions to the rules, please let us know.
All that matters is that you learn, while being able to effectively critique others, as well as accept critiques on your own work. Remember to have fun. Cheers!

Replies