Home Technical Talk

Cannot fill hole on a simple polygonpipe (Maya)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Aasmund1986 polycounter lvl 5
Im having trouble with filling a hole on a simple polygonpipe, using MayaLT 2016 version. Capture.jpg
I only get a "// Result PolyCloseBorder1" message. I also tried to select the inner egdes, but getting the same message.

Whats cause this? Dosent "mesh>fill hole" work on pipes?

Replies

• jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Are you trying to fill the inner hole? Why do you want to do that? Wouldn't it make sense just to make a cylinder instead?

If I'm not reading this correctly, you can use the append to polygon tool in the mesh tools menu. If I am, you can't fill in that hole because it creates internal geometry and Maya is being a bro and trying to help you out. Technically, there isn't a hole because all of the faces are connected properly. Deleting the inside ring of faces should allow you to close the hole if you so choose.
  • Aasmund1986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I create a cylinder I have to thicken the mesh with the extrude tool, to avoid" see-throught" when I importing the mesh in UnrealEngine. But maybe thats the only solution.
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    You can extrude the ring of inner edges in on XY and with all of them still selected merge edges to center

Also, you can set materials in unreal to be two sides, so you won't have that issue.
  • Aasmund1986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use the thicken tool on the cylinder as the solution :)
    Thanks for the help!