Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Herm

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
DingoSniper polycounter lvl 2
Hey Polycount, so this is my first actual thread post here but recently I just completed my first 3D Model for my uni course that i am taking at the moment and would really love some feed back on it! The model was made in 3DSmax and plan on importing it into Unreal Engine 4 for some extra prettiness. Also Apologies if the turn around is shit, dont have premier pro on me at the moment Q_Q. I've also gone 3 all nighters so for all i know i've missed something.

Model:
pPJTiHj.jpg

UV Maps:
fxnXGC8.jpg

All of it was done using a chalk brush and like... 50 something layers. That includes effects

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Were you going for a World of Warcraft handpainted look?
  • DingoSniper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Were you going for a World of Warcraft handpainted look?

Its funny because i was leaning towards more a league of legends but as it went on it got more like WoW so you could say i wasn't but i unintentionally did XD
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoL and WoW share very similar methods, but their end rendering is different. But the general approach is the same.

Right now, your maces don't reflect the depth and range of values, hues, and levels of details League or Warcraft weapons show. Where are your cavities? Ambient occlusion? Evidence of where wear and tear may be on the striking ends of the weapons? Bounced lighting from your emissive elemental runes o the rest of the weapon? A grippy grip so a warrior can keeo his or her hand on the weapon during heavy use? Part of this is understanding good design, and the other is the texturing challenge.

I recommend taking some extra time to focus on really bringing these textures into parity, as much as you can, with existing game assets.

wows8weapon_mace_2hd7uSqM10OS.jpg

A side by side between your weapons and theirs shows that there's a lot more ground to cover, which is great!

You need to treat this less as a texture, more like a straight up painting. You're doing what traditional illustrators do: painting through light and color. Just accounting for surface noise and edge highlights to say "light is coming from this direction" will not be enough.

Not sure why you needed 50+ layers for what looks to be at most 10 layers for each hammer. It sounds a inefficient for a workflow. I'd show your layers window so we can take a look at how you're organizing your texturing. Game art isn't usually done in isolation, so it's best to imagine all the work you're doing possible being passed onto another artist who needs to understand your method quickly to get to get started.
  • DingoSniper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoL and WoW share very similar methods, but their end rendering is different. But the general approach is the same.

Right now, your maces don't reflect the depth and range of values, hues, and levels of details League or Warcraft weapons show. Where are your cavities? Ambient occlusion? Evidence of where wear and tear may be on the striking ends of the weapons? Bounced lighting from your emissive elemental runes o the rest of the weapon? A grippy grip so a warrior can keeo his or her hand on the weapon during heavy use? Part of this is understanding good design, and the other is the texturing challenge.

I recommend taking some extra time to focus on really bringing these textures into parity, as much as you can, with existing game assets.

wows8weapon_mace_2hd7uSqM10OS.jpg

A side by side between your weapons and theirs shows that there's a lot more ground to cover, which is great!

You need to treat this less as a texture, more like a straight up painting. You're doing what traditional illustrators do: painting through light and color. Just accounting for surface noise and edge highlights to say "light is coming from this direction" will not be enough.

Not sure why you needed 50+ layers for what looks to be at most 10 layers for each hammer. It sounds a inefficient for a workflow. I'd show your layers window so we can take a look at how you're organizing your texturing. Game art isn't usually done in isolation, so it's best to imagine all the work you're doing possible being passed onto another artist who needs to understand your method quickly to get to get started.

Yeah, Looking back at it now (after taking a few hours break XD) I can definitely see the parts i've missed. I understand the part about AO and that, i'm still figuring a few things out about the process of painting and such since as an artist i have always struggled with the shading process so I think i really restricted my self on focusing on the light/darks instead of adding additional detail and that. The other issue was that half the UV's bugged out in the process of creating the UVMap where some defaulted and flipped back into their original state. i'm not sure what was causing that but ill get my teach to look over it when i see him tomorrow. But i get your point about treating it like a standard art piece then an actual texture, which i think is where my issue really lies. I spent waaay too much time focusing on it as something like that instead of another standing process of painting.

By the way, i'm not sure if the ref you linked is an old wow model or something cuz the textures on that look really blurry compared to some of their recent stuff but i can see the points you are making there. I actually just opened up the PSD again and my layer was actually minimal, i just had a few too many folders since im one of those people that is incredibly anal about keeping my shit in order and made a few too many folders, god bless OCD XD.

I plan on developing a few models over my trimester break to better myself at it, I'll probably go back to this once I have more knowledge and re-do the texturing. I greatly value the feed back since i am really brand new to this stuff so cheers for doing this!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a word of warning about college homework: It will not be enough. Make more than what's asked of you.
  • DingoSniper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a word of warning about college homework: It will not be enough. Make more than what's asked of you.

Yeah, our teacher told us to make it simple textures and crap but im definitely going to go back and add more to it!