Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Creation

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
JabacOrdof polycounter lvl 3
Hey everyone. This is the final project for the class I am auditing this semester. Taking what I have learned from the Zbrush project we just finished I am going to be making a full character from scratch based around any concept I choose. It will be difficult but also a lot of fun, and I would love it if you could give me criticism and feedback if you've got the time. It is always extremely helpful! Thank you everyone and enjoy.

-Eric Kilkenny

This is the concept I am thinking of doing, from SWTOR online. I really like the layers and the design. I may change it for something more grounded in reality rather than sci-fi if I find anything that really makes me interested.

[IMG][/img]aHsqYLL.jpg

Here is my blockout of the body and proportions. I took a lot of lessons I learned from my last assignment which was an anatomical study. I will be focusing on the head next after I decide on a likeness to draw from, which I shall post with my next update.

[IMG][/img]sw6vBV9.jpg

Replies

• JabacOrdof
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone! I haven't posted in a while. I have been very busy, but that's a rather tired excuse. I will be starting to post more often on my projects. Anyways, I have updates! I have finished the head, and have started on blocking out the clothing. I am modeling the clothes in Maya, and some of it needs to be redone due to the fact that this was my first attempt at clothing. Any tips or critiques are most welcome. Thanks Guys!

-Eric Kilkenny

[IMG][/img]CB8ADw5.jpg

[IMG][/img]JS30VmO.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Grab his head in photoshop, and see how many heads high your charatcer is right now.

Proportionally, it's not the heroic proportions that we see in the concept. That being said, if you want average/stocky proportions you have right now, by all means do it! If we're sticking to the concept, though, gotta lengthen his vertical height a lot more.
  • skodone
  • JabacOrdof
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, nice catch there! Yeah I see what you mean, hes sitting more around 7, so probably a bit too stocky for what I'm going for. Ill go in and fiddle with the size of the head to try and get between a 7.5 and 8. Thank you for the reference skodone!
  • Nekhro
    Offline / Send Message
    Nekhro polycounter lvl 5
    Be sure you check all the anatomy before jumping into making clothes and armor. ATM his arms are dislocated.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Ooh I love the concept, looks like shades of Moebius in there. I would stretch the legs out a bit on your base.
  • JabacOrdof
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for giving me these fresh eyes to see where the inaccuracies are! I haven't gone too deep into clothing so adjusting the base forms and re-sizing the clothing shouldn't pose an issue. Glad you like the concept kanga.
  • JabacOrdof
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, the clothes are coming along. I am still modeling the coat, so that will be in the next update. I am thinking of taking the legs and making them a bit longer, just to balance the character a bit more. After all the big articles of clothing are done I can focus on the smaller detailed bits.

[IMG][/img]6iZBTYo.jpg
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    can you post him without any clothes so we can see the anatomy and proportions clearly?
  • JabacOrdof
    Offline / Send Message
    Absolutely, skodone. Here it is.

[IMG][/img]Rr5doVa.jpg
  • JabacOrdof
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Coat is on and now I am working on seams and other little details in the outfit, which I will probably model in Maya first and bring in.

[IMG][/img]J2UPBJR.jpg
  • DireWolf
    His pose is looking quite awkward.

Your shoulder joint is at the wrong place. The joint is located below the end of clavicle. The Deltoid and the rest of the arm wouldn't break like that.
    6H1lLgc.png
    Here's a quick move to show what I mean.
    NvkIwan.png

He also looks way out of proportion. While the concept art does look slightly stylized, it still looks proportionate. Here's a random swimmer for comparison.
    nlaWL3s.png
  • JabacOrdof
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for taking the time to do the paint overs DireWolf! I have adjusted the anatomy a bit and now I have finished with the detail work on the coat and back. I think I am almost done with the small bits and pieces on the outfit.

[IMG][/img]bVLx1Nw.jpg
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Nice work!
    The costume looks pretty good but the underlying figure needs to be stronger in an expressive way. The feet are too big atm making the figure shorter, as are the length of the legs. The lower leg structure is a bit vague making the boots melty and it takes away from their power I think. Also a hero build needs to have the head a little smaller.

Your base figure is falling over backwards so that means you are loosing visual weight. I like the chest piece, its great.

Cheerio
  • JabacOrdof
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks kanga! I completely agree. I am going to be lengthening the legs and fooling around with the feet, because they definitely don't read as well.
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    i like the heaviness of the costume!
  • JabacOrdof
    Offline / Send Message
    I am glad that the heaviness read well, skodone. Thank you! I have adjusted the shoulder pads by lowering them a bit, they seemed to ride a bit high, and I have cleaned up the gloves a bit. Things that I need to revisit are the clothing folds, especially around the crotch of the pants, and I need to bump the subdivisions down because I am getting those brush lines along the folds. Also, I need to revisit the boots, the forms are not correct and they look awkward. I have rendered the character and tried a presentation design, and I would love to hear any critiques or tips you have about presenting renders effectively. Thank you everyone who has given critiques so far, it has been a huge help and I have learned a lot!

[IMG][/img]eBMYn9U.jpg