Home General Discussion

Lost my programmer and don't know what to do now :(

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
CrashMagnum polycounter lvl 7
Sorry if I'm venting a little bit here. Even though I'm mainly a lurker I love this community and can't really talk to my other friends about my specific issue here since they don't understand much about the industry.

I've been working on various projects with this one dude for over 3 years now. He would code and I would art and it was great. I haven't met a better, harder working programmer than him. For the last year we've been working on-and-off between our regular jobs on a game that I really think would be fun and possibly be a launching point for something bigger. We both vowed to stick with it until we get the damned thing done or we get a job that would prohibit us from working on it. Today I heard that my friend got a job at a game company that I know for a fact has a strict noncompete agreement.

Obviously, I'm super-excited for him but it really took the wind out of my sails. I'm working at a company that says it can do simulations but it really is just me and one programmer who doesn't know what they're doing. My job felt like a way to help pay for development of this thing but now it feels like stereotypical, soulless, gray-cubicle-land. I won't knock having a job itself, but really what was getting me through the weeks was the thought that I'm working on something creative and fun outside work.

As I'm sure you guys know it's hard to find team members for personal projects who won't flake out at a the first sign of difficulty or that cause drama. I have no idea where to start looking or if it's even possible to get someone of that caliber willing to work on this thing. I've been to a couple Baltimore/ DC dev meetups but everyone seems to have their own thing going on or, no offence to them, not very competent.

Sorry for venting, but I feel like I had to say this somewhere where people would understand the industry and why I can't 'just find another programmer'.

If anyone has any suggestions for what to do or where I could find someone I would be super-grateful.

Replies

• nervouschimp
    Offline / Send Message
    nervouschimp polycounter lvl 4
    This happened to me too. It was devastating. But the reality is that you can only count on yourself. It might be a better idea to focus on assets for the Unity and UE4 marketplaces, as your success won't depend on someone else. You might be able to scratch out a living that way, while still being in full control. Sorry, man. This sh*t happens. It is really hard to hold indie teams together. They fall apart all the time.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I get the feeling there are loads of artists and very few good programmers. I think the reason for this is because art is more fun, resulting in programmers being more sought after and providing them with excellent job opportunities, if you like programming that is. I don't like coding but I can do it to get what I want. I think it is unfair to expect anyone else to be enthusiastic to the same degree as yourself about anything. We are all different and your distress is convenient for yourself.

I have to chime in with the previous poster and also agree that you can only rely on yourself when it comes to heavy commitment. Code the stuff yourself until you find others to help you.

I know this post doesnt seem helpful but it is intended to be.
    Good luck.
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Art is more fun? wtf?!?

no I think the point is it's a lot easier to post some art as to post some code at online boards.

coding is a lot of fun and there are a lot of coders outside. But if you're a coder you have to work longer on one "thing" before it's ready to be shown/used

anyhow.. I would say.. give yourself a pseudonym and continue working.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    kanga wrote: »
    I get the feeling there are loads of artists and very few good programmers. I think the reason for this is because art is more fun, resulting in programmers being more sought after and providing them with excellent job opportunities, if you like programming that is. I don't like coding but I can do it to get what I want. I think it is unfair to expect anyone else to be enthusiastic to the same degree as yourself about anything. We are all different and your distress is convenient for yourself.

I have to chime in with the previous poster and also agree that you can only rely on yourself when it comes to heavy commitment. Code the stuff yourself until you find others to help you.

I know this post doesnt seem helpful but it is intended to be.
    Good luck.
    I'd argue that programmers are less common than artists due to how awful the games industry is with programming jobs in comparison to many other areas of the tech industry. You have to write complicated code, work with tight deadlines, your salary will likely be bad in comparison to other programming jobs in your area, and programmers usually have to work in-studio meaning potentially being forced to live in an expensive area. It seems like most people would rather just get an easier job that will pay the same if not better.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    The first place to look for a new programmer is probably going to be the public forums for the engine you're using. If you have material you can demonstrate, your chances of picking someone up are much better than had you not. Unfortunately, as you know, you're probably going to have to go through a few flakey people to find what you need, but with persistence you can get there in the end.

The other alternative of course, is to learn how to do that stuff yourself and stop being reliant on another person.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    As the programmers always say: "There are so many programmers, barely any artists, where are they?"
  • Gmanx
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    This kind of thing happens in the established industry too - people get poached or leave for a host of reasons and they're initially difficult to replace especially in a small team.

I suppose all I'm saying is that it's fairly common and something that will help you develop as a professional, dealing with that situation. As a small indie (especially a one-man band) you're the whole business, from top management all the way down to receptionist.

Going through the process of finding a suitable programmer will help you learn about the hiring process - a very valuable skill to have.

I feel your pain after going through several stalled projects myself. Chin-up fella, onward and upward!
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    if you dont mind me asking what language were you using to code your game?

You might want to try getting a programmer who is happy to work for you or with you.

I personally go to "http://www.dreamincode.net/" for programmer's guide.

the other sites like: "http://www.gamedev.net/" will also help you out in this matter.

I wish you good luck with your projects and future endeavours.
  • WarrenM
    Code is as fun to a programmer, as art is to an artist.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Code is as fun to a programmer, as art is to an artist.

THIS!!!

After hanging around in some more programming based circles the last few months, one realisation i've come to is that the grass isn't greener on the other side.

As artists, we tend to surround ourselves with other artists, and therefor we get the false impression that there are loads of artists and no programmers. But some programmers i've talked to have complained of the exact opposite, that they have no trouble finding other programmers but artists are a rare commodity.

So, start looking for programming forums, irc channels etc. and make friends with them.
  • Zephiris
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris polygon
    I feel for you, it`s terrible to lose a programmer who is good AND works well with you as a team.
    I`ve been in a similar situation and ended up learning to program on my own, because i didn`t want to replace him with anyone else.

Playing both/all roles at the same time is very taxing and time consuming, but also incredibly rewarding, and coding skills are just an amazing thing to have. Coding and Art skills at once - It`s like, LOOK AT ME IMA MAGIC KNIGHT.

I don`t know how complex your project is, but if it`s something rather small and simple, you could give it a try if you feel any affinity/interest in it - Both Unity and UE have a ton of learning ressources available, and there`s blueprint/playmaker to help try out bits of logic quicker and in a visual way.
    Though it will still take some months to get into it properly.

Or, if your project has some substance to it already and your programmer wants this too, you could try showing it to the gaming company that hired him - maybe you could complete it under their wing at some point?

Either way, give it some thought - it`d be much better than having to let go of all you`ve worked on so far.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Just be careful with your contract and NDA with any potential replacement. I know someone who after paying for a license for the engine for the new programmer, said programmer took the engine and the code for the game at that stage and walked off to do their own thing.
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    your programming partner could also try to talk to the people he´s working for.
    just because its in his contract, does not mean they absolutely have to enforce this for everything.

get a written permit and all is good
  • CrashMagnum
    Offline / Send Message
    CrashMagnum polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you everyone for the kind words. I feel strongly enough about this project that I refuse to let this project go. I've been given the blessing by my friend to continue it if he can't work on it for whatever reason. He's going to see how things work there before he lets me know one way or another first, so there is a chance it's not dead with him yet.

Does anyone have experience with working on a project with someone long-distance? I'm worried about a similar situation to what @oXYnary is mentioning. I would ideally like to have someone local (Baltimore/ DC region) but I know that beggars can't be choosers.

@Nitewalkr The project is in UE and we're using C++.

My friend and I were working on this out of our own pockets because of the love for the project. Any suggestions on finding someone with similar views? As artists, we all know how much of a jerk move it is to ask someone to 'work for experience'. I'm kind of worried about promising rev-sharing because of some horror stories I've heard.

Does anyone have suggestions of sites to find potential programmers who would be willing to work on a project? (besides Nitewalkr's suggestions, that is)
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    THIS!!!

After hanging around in some more programming based circles the last few months, one realisation i've come to is that the grass isn't greener on the other side.

As artists, we tend to surround ourselves with other artists, and therefor we get the false impression that there are loads of artists and no programmers. But some programmers i've talked to have complained of the exact opposite, that they have no trouble finding other programmers but artists are a rare commodity.

So, start looking for programming forums, irc channels etc. and make friends with them.

I was a CS major before getting into art. Having seen both sides it seems to me that competent programmers tend to be quite busy with work while similarly skilled 3D game artists often are not. Keep in mind, my experiences are only with entry level skill-sets. I assume this dynamic changes with more mid-senior level experience.

I think the difficulty comes in finding a programmer who loves to code and one who has free-time. They are usually gainfully employed.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Thank you everyone for the kind words. I feel strongly enough about this project that I refuse to let this project go. I've been given the blessing by my friend to continue it if he can't work on it for whatever reason. He's going to see how things work there before he lets me know one way or another first, so there is a chance it's not dead with him yet.

Does anyone have experience with working on a project with someone long-distance? I'm worried about a similar situation to what @oXYnary is mentioning. I would ideally like to have someone local (Baltimore/ DC region) but I know that beggars can't be choosers.

@Nitewalkr The project is in UE and we're using C++.

My friend and I were working on this out of our own pockets because of the love for the project. Any suggestions on finding someone with similar views? As artists, we all know how much of a jerk move it is to ask someone to 'work for experience'. I'm kind of worried about promising rev-sharing because of some horror stories I've heard.

Does anyone have suggestions of sites to find potential programmers who would be willing to work on a project? (besides Nitewalkr's suggestions, that is)

Your last line in the stated quote leaves me blank. I dont know why but whenever I read "we are working on our own project," automatically makes me think that one is building his own tools from ground up rather then using UE, and I have been wrong many times in this matter and even got yelled at. UE and C++ makes it a bit easier, I was also going to ask if you have made a post in UE community? I'll wait for this thread to flow and see where it takes you. It is also an experience for me. I also had an impression that many independent game developer teams know pretty much everything like one day they could be working on some art and the next day they could be coding and so on.

I am again, apologize if I my posts were misleading and I am truly sorry for your loss.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I have the exact opposite problem, heh... Got the worlds best coder working with me, but I'll be buggered if anybody will ever help me do art... Been pumping out assets at a snails pace by myself for ages now, last count was about 20,000 files I had made alone... It breaks your heart :(
  • WarrenM
    odium - You're working with Quake 2 level right? That might be why it's hard to attract artists. It would take a special somebody who doesn't want to PBR it up these days..

EDIT : And your info link is broken (http://www.moddb.com/games/overdoseoverdose).
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Just make a detailed post on the unreal engine forums, it should be easy to find a good programmer if you have proper compensation to give them. It will be harder to find somebody willing to stick around if you do something like offer them a revenue share or experience unless they are as passionate about the project as you are. It is comparable to hiring a freelancer to work on your team so the same rules will apply, if you want somebody who is good and can get work done in a reasonable amount of time, it will be expensive. If you want cheap work, it won't be good or it won't be fast, or both.

I'm not sure how far along you are with your project, but depending on what needs to be done, you could be better off just hiring somebody to work on very specific systems or features within the game, rather than trying to find somebody that can do it all.

Alternatively, as suggested earlier, you could just spend the time to learn how to write code yourself. I don't know the details or complexity about your project, but if you actively work hard at learning you could gain a good amount of knowledge in just 2-3 months which would be more than enough time to allow you to learn how to write at least some of the code for your game.

If you do happen to find somebody, then you should make a very strong attempt to keep good communication at all times. You should clearly define exactly what needs to be done and frequently communicate with them daily or weekly depending on what needs to be done. Working remotely can often lead to miscommunications, so it is important to check with the person often to make sure they know what they should be doing.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    WarrenM wrote: »
    odium - You're working with Quake 2 level right? That might be why it's hard to attract artists. It would take a special somebody who doesn't want to PBR it up these days..

EDIT : And your info link is broken (http://www.moddb.com/games/overdoseoverdose).

Q2 engine, that's been re-written to be on par with UE3-4... So no, not really, as its a lot more advanced than even Doom 3 lol.
  • RyanB
    odium wrote: »
    Q2 engine, that's been re-written to be on par with UE3-4... So no, not really, as its a lot more advanced than even Doom 3 lol.

Why...why...why????

Seriously, why?
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    RyanB wrote: »
    Why...why...why????

Seriously, why?

Q2 engine licence is cheap as chips. Plus we started out by making Quake II Evolved, so it was just a natural progression. Now, we have a more advanced map format than Doom 3 by a long shot, more features, better netcode than any of them etc etc... We are adding SSR atm. Plus its all scriptable, every last thing. Gameplay, weapons, particles and FX, the lot. Meaning you can download OverDose and make mods with no coding knowledge at all. I like my Duckie Gun Launcher, fires Duckies that explode. We also created our own tools, including level editor.

20141028_151212.1.jpg

od_news_sep13_3_large.jpg

gib_full.jpg

And if that wasn't enough, each player also supports custom heads that players can create and import into the game. So shit like this is now possible without treading on legal issues:

krytie.jpg
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Really part of the problem could be that most good artists or programmers are employed and got agreements that say they cant work on other commercial work. Also a other large possibility is they are just too busy with local projects.

My city has a pretty small game dev community but every month we have a beer night where we all set a theme and work on month long game jams. With limited time i much rather work with people locally than online. Especially since these events are great for networking and are why got me my job.