Home Technical Talk

3ds Max mesh issues (pinches and warbles)

ScottHoneycutt
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
rY8hxqq.jpg

What causes this phenomenon and how do you fix it? I model in 3ds Max and suddenly I have my mesh acting strangely after applying a turbosmooth. It looks fine in the low poly, but then upon smoothing there are changes in direction that I don't understand. Sometimes their are hard pinches on edges that don't want to relax no matter where I place the edge flows around them. Oftentimes I can take care of the issue by deleting certain polys and then redrawing them. Right here (as shown) I can't seem to get a fixed result.

Thanks.

Edit: as expected, I was able to fix the issues by continuing to delete and delete, and redraw and redraw. The NURMS toggle seems to indicate where the issue is more clearly with a hard edge. However, I'd still like to undertsand what this is and how to avoid it if at all possible.

Replies

• MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    Hm it might be due to manually drawing out slightly misplaced edges/ planes so that they individually do not line up ( some of those edges definitely do not seem to line up)
    What you can try is to do some '' make planar actions'' and see if that improves the shading issues. You can also use the scale button for this.

Also, try and flip the normals (twice) and see if that changes anything.
  • P.Rovaniemi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you made sure that all the vertices along those edges are welded, and/or if there are any double-edges/thin faces in there?
    To me it looks like those sharp waves are made by non welded vertices.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you made sure that all the vertices along those edges are welded...

yes
  • P.Rovaniemi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If things are planar and welded in that area and no vertices are doubles, well then you can also do a pure cleanup by deleting one of the rows of polygons in the trouble area and then just do a bridge to rebuild that row fast.
  • instg8r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    instg8r polycounter lvl 8
    If things are planar and welded in that area and no vertices are doubles, well then you can also do a pure cleanup by deleting one of the rows of polygons in the trouble area and then just do a bridge to rebuild that row fast.

Yup, this is what I've had to do on issues like that. Not sure what causes it, but something must get "weird" with Max. Rebuilding is your best bet.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    it's a bug, just break all vertices and merge again
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    "What causes this phenomenon and how do you fix it? I model in 3ds Max and suddenly I have my mesh acting strangely after applying a turbosmooth. It looks fine in the low poly"

Badmeshflow_1.jpg

You need to refine the vertices of your mesh. Right now it look like a sandwich. Select a row of vertices and use x, y, or z to straighten the whole thing.

Editable Poly > Vertex Mode > Edit Geometry ... use

[Make planar]
    [x], [y], [z]
    [View align]
    [Grid align]

Max_Edit_geometry.jpg
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for trying to help. Technical questions are often the most difficult to communicate. To be clear for the forum, this is definitely a "bug" and not a modeling issue. The mesh is a work in progress, and while a lesser mesh will result in a lesser result aesthetically, it shouldn't result in such a harsh error as the one I highlighted in red. The way in which I have been fixing it (as some of you have confirmed doing yourself) is to delete the offending edge. By switching from turbo smooth modifier (my usual workflow) to a NURMS toggle I could see the issue much more clearly. After deleting the bad edge and redrawing the two attached polys, the issue is gone. One of my main thoughts is concerning how this is being caused, but it appears that the answer to that question may be difficult to find. :)

I'm not on my main workstation right now, when I am later I will post another image showing what it looks like with NURMS on.