Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Metro 2033 - Fan Art

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Shriken polycounter lvl 11
So I've been working on starting some fan art from the Metro series. I'm starting with a small tunnel section before expanding to anything bigger! My plan is to texture everything using Substance so I can get a good grip on how it works.

I'll be dumping progress as I go, feed me back! I've got some blockouts and substance material tests, the thread might get messy ;)

Blockout
PPKUsZn.jpg

Quick test of my workflow by making a tiny part of the piping
Pr9hh1Q.jpg

For learning and versatility I've been trying to make my materials as re-usable as possible by making them procedural in Substance Designer. I have a lot of learning to go, but the results are slowly coming together. The below shots are all from the one network :)

Oxa321F.jpg
cORTBmL.jpg
hN5Uj51.jpg
XsBBXv3.jpg

Replies

• AshuraDX
    Offline / Send Message
    AshuraDX triangle
    damn those are some nice bricks :O
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Having loved metro 2033 and its athmosphere i am looking forward this, you have some very good bricks and materials out there, keep it up :D
  • Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    I've not had much time to keep going at this, but chugging along. So far had chance to get a few bits with an initial substance designer pass, its far from pretty at this stage. I'm hoping to refine the substances and meshes as I go (testing iteration speeds through substance to).

X3PefJ8.jpg
  • Axcel
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    Hi, I love that photorealistic brick! Definately I will follow that thread.
    Is it real-time rendered? Quixel deliver own 3d engine adn these are shots from it?

Have you made HP models of these bricks? How they are procedural?
  • Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel wrote: »
    Hi, I love that photorealistic brick! Definately I will follow that thread.
    Is it real-time rendered? Quixel deliver own 3d engine adn these are shots from it?

Have you made HP models of these bricks? How they are procedural?

Cheers :), the block out shot is in ue4 and everything else is in marmoset 2 while I break things down. At some point they will all be in unreal (all hail 4.7 hot reloading).

The bricks are 100% generated from substance designer with no sculpts or bitmap inputs. (I did swap some noise generators out for bitmap versions for speed sake, but they could be replaced again easy enough).

Hope that helps!
  • Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    starting to work into the concrete a bit, managed to get some cracks and rough/smooth blending going on. Still a lot to fix on these atm, but sharing progress anyway :) tips are welcome!

gjl6Z9J.jpg
    0Mt13mR.jpg
    Yr5Txz3.jpg
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I love the metro series to pieces, and I really like how this is shaping up. Good work!
  • Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    I was debating whether or not to update for this, but why not :P. I started working into the wires a bit, really not happy with them so far so this is likely to get ripped out. But it was fun color masking by sub-object in substance as a test run. Really powerful way to get color IDs when none exist.

MKHZBve.jpg
  • Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick first pass on some canisters and overhead bits to litter the background. Nice to take a break from the larger pieces for some of the less important assets. Starting to build a small library up for my substance work, should hopefully speed things up over time!

ti4yqGW.jpg

wEyXgCn.jpg
  • Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm currently in the process of moving everything into unreal 4 so I can start building the scene up more gradually. I'm working on getting some grubby mud and soil coming in through the back and being packed into the crevices. So I have some very WIP shots of some dirty tileables that will be blended in.

I randomly added in the ability to draw puddles in using the SVG after seeing it posted in the master thread. I had no idea substance had this feature until now!

7xFNRvK.jpg

rPsjlil.jpg
  • Whalebones
    Offline / Send Message
    Whalebones polycounter lvl 11
    Shriken wrote: »
    I'm currently in the process of moving everything into unreal 4 so I can start building the scene up more gradually. I'm working on getting some grubby mud and soil coming in through the back and being packed into the crevices. So I have some very WIP shots of some dirty tileables that will be blended in.

I randomly added in the ability to draw puddles in using the SVG after seeing it posted in the master thread. I had no idea substance had this feature until now!

7xFNRvK.jpg

rPsjlil.jpg

Hey Shriken, awesome progress dude! How did you get the puddles to work? =]
  • _Kratos_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Really cool stuff here man!
  • Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys :D Hopefully have something in unreal to show soon.

@Whalebones: the puddles are just an SVG node used as a white mask with slope blur to mess up the edges nicely. Then I'm using the liquid noise to drive the normals and obviously a super low roughness. Super simples, nothing fancy (yet ;) ).

quick example:
    q8kZ8IJ.png
  • Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought I'd share a very WIP shot of my initial unreal scene import. Currently balancing anything I have so far to unreal then moving back onto asset creation etc. Quite a long way to go but I'm picking up steam now.

Next to come is brackets, lights and the track itself. Still need to do a second pass on texturing too!

C6Ohm1o.jpg
  • Thane-
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    Great job. I played through 2033 4 times, twice in 3D on a 46" 3DTV which was amazing. The only thing i think is missing, which of course is just one opinion, is that there seem to be much less wiring happening, which i was personally fascinated with. The walls seem way too clean and brightly colored to me. Some of the textures in 2033 seem extremely complex.
  • nickcomeau
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    Your textures are looking great! Can't wait to see more :D
  • Zieg_Reborn
    Offline / Send Message
    Zieg_Reborn triangle
    Looking awesome so far. Subbed.
  • nastobi123
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    looking nice man !
  • Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- wrote: »
    Great job. I played through 2033 4 times, twice in 3D on a 46" 3DTV which was amazing. The only thing i think is missing, which of course is just one opinion, is that there seem to be much less wiring happening, which i was personally fascinated with. The walls seem way too clean and brightly colored to me. Some of the textures in 2033 seem extremely complex.

I couldn't agree more, as soon as everything is created with a simple texture I hope to go over everything that needs a second pass for more detail (not to mention lighting!).

Thanks for the kind words everyone, hopefully I won't disappoint with future updates :)
  • Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to do something a little different as it a bank holiday and I wanted to step back from the metro for a bit so I can attack it with a fresh mind!

As such I decided some Crysis fan art would be fun instead! I tried to create a battle worn nanosuit material. Seemed fairly straight forward and the results came out alright I think. Just a few hours playing about.

eubY61c.jpg

FSgaHYV.jpg

close up with more light

PTZoKR7.jpg
  • AlanGreyjoy
    Wow... most of these... you would thought someone took a HD picture of it! Really amazing.
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Damn, some of this is looking mega sweet. Looking forward to checking out more!
  • Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers guys :), I should start back up on the metro stuff this week! (May do a few materials before though)
  • Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    when I said this thread would get messy (or should I say de-railed) I meant it!

I've been away on holiday so stopped pretty much all personal work, I did however get some time in for photography, which inevitably led me to taking lots of photos of rocks. Enough in fact that I could scan one in today when I got back. So here it is, a rock all the way from Sardinia, now in my computer.

david-nicholls-rockjpg.jpg?1436709747

david-nicholls-rock-angles.jpg?1436709745

and some marmoset viewer for good measure: (if anyone knows how to embed these, please let me know how)

https://www.artstation.com/embed/944444

I'll be going back to my Metro scene now, I promise ;)
  • amirabd2130
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    reallllly good job so far.
    love all the textures.
    looking forward to see more
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    This is looking really nice; subbed!
  • pikamau5
    Offline / Send Message
    pikamau5 polycounter lvl 6
    How did you scan the rock images ? or did you use a 3d scanner?
  • Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    @pikamau5 I took about 20 photographs of the rock from different angles with my camera, the technique I used is almost identical to the Ethan Carter guys. They covered it pretty extensively here: http://www.theastronauts.com/2014/03/visual-revolution-vanishing-ethan-carter/

I can share some of my source photos etc if you want to see more :).

but my process was roughly,

1) take photos
    2) process raw files to level out light information in Photoshop
    3) use agisoft to construct the scan mesh
    4) use zbrush to mask and clean up the geo slightly
    5) use maya to set up objs
    6) use substance to bake details down to a low poly version and use baked masks etc to re-work the scanned in texture and transfer it to the low poly.

Hope that explains it a bit!
  • Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    I've still not got round to continuing my Metro scene, however I did some more substance tests this evening!

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/pbr-procedural-hard-surface

david-nicholls-pbr-hardsurface.jpg

david-nicholls-pbr-hardsurface2.jpg

david-nicholls-pbr-hardsurface3.jpg