Home Technical Talk

Maya - multiple option box windows

There any way to have the planar mapping option box and unfold option box open at the same time in maya?

I planar map one shell and then always move it away from the other shells and unfold it before planar mapping the next, so I always end up having to go into the file menu's again and again and again and again (left out a fair few and again's haha) because when I open up the unfold option box the planar mapping one closes.

Have to use option boxe for planar mapping so I can change between x y and z mapping and have to use option box for unfold to change whether UV's are pinned or what direction to unfold.

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    As far as I know you can only have one options box open at a time. I think your best option would be to set up a few shelf buttons: One each for X, Y, and Z planar mapping, and unfold. Take a look at the script editor to retrieve some of the commands as you use them.
  • peteed1985
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon wrote: »
    As far as I know you can only have one options box open at a time. I think your best option would be to set up a few shelf buttons: One each for X, Y, and Z planar mapping, and unfold. Take a look at the script editor to retrieve some of the commands as you use them.

Not really sure how to setup a shelf button to have the settings I need like I am meant to have "keep image width/height ratio" turned on when its off by default. Making it X, Y and Z I can do but other settings no idea.

polyProjection -ch 1 -type Planar -ibd on -kir -md z pCube1.f[0];

Thats what I get from a Z planar mapping in the script editor but it having pcube 1 in there seems wrong but not sure what of it i'd be making into a button.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    A lot of MEL commands will automatically identify your selection as the target for the procedure so you can take out the specific reference to your object (pCube1.f[0]).

Here are a couple shelf buttons I already had on hand for your convenience:
    ConvertSelectionToFaces; 
    polyProjection -ch 0 -type Planar -ibd on -kir  -md x;

ConvertSelectionToFaces;
    polyProjection -ch 0 -type Planar -ibd on -kir  -md y;

ConvertSelectionToFaces;
    polyProjection -ch 0 -type Planar -ibd on -kir  -md z;

• tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    if you copy this mel to a shelf button then you can do the planar mapping and unfolding in a single action, and use the G key to repeat last. you still need to move it manually and the move tool will lose focus when you run this script but if you just quickly tap rotate then move it regains it without losing the selection.

polyProjection -ch 1 -type Planar -ibd on -md x;
    textureWindowSelectConvert 4;
    unfold -i 5000 -ss 0.001 -gb 0 -gmb 0.5 -pub 0 -ps 0 -oa 0 -us off;

give it a go, might massively speed up your workflow.