Home Technical Talk

Some questions about maya maps transfer ...

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
Hi ! o/

Quick questions :

- I read here and there ( ex : http://www.ewilkinart.com/ , Mudbox pic. ) that people use maya transfert maps tool to project zbrush high poly model. When I try that, my computer simply die. Something like 1M poly ( Which isn't that high on a Zbrush pov. ). My rig is pretty decent, and I'm on the shittiest renderer possible for the windows renderer. What am I doing wrong ?

( Please don't just tell me to use xNormal, or an other projection tool, I've already used it, I know it's nice, but I just want to know what I'm doing wrong with Maya. :p )

- Is there a way to make a transfer map on maya, with a low poly model, and a high poly that isn't really one. By that I mean, An object that is on smooth preview, but not yet converted to actual high poly.

That's all, thx for the answers, if there are any. :poly136:

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you using Transfer Maps with the low poly model selected?

What are your computer specs (CPU, RAM, OS, GPU) and what version of Maya?
  • JackDCaron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JackDCaron polycounter lvl 4
    1. Are you trying a test at the lowest possible settings? 256 res at preview sampling? Any more info on how many pieces and settings, etc, would help.

2. No, you'll need to Mesh>Smooth or Modify>Convert>ConvertSmoothPreviewtoPolygons to be able to bake (nearly 100% certain on this).
  • NovaaH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
    - Well yeah, I select the low poly, the high one, etc, etc. It's just that maya really doesn't seems to handle high poly well, so, I don't understand how people import really huge model in it.
    i5 3570K 4Ghz, 12Gb, Win7, GTX 770. Maya up to date. ( Service pack 6 atm, if I remember correctly. )

- 1. You're talking about the preview windows resolution ? If yes, I didn't knew you could change that. ^^'
    2. Crap.
  • JackDCaron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JackDCaron polycounter lvl 4
    Yeah, when you open up Transfer Maps, under Maya Common Output try lowering the map width and height and sampling quality for a test. Overall, it is unreasonably slow (even for basic geometry) IMO.

Have you tried transferring with Turtle inside Maya? It doesn't auto-gen an envelope like transfer maps, but way faster and you can stay in Maya.