Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Weekly Anatomy Challenge - Week 2

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Jakub interpolator
I welcome you to the Weekly Anatomy Challenge!

There is a lot of people on the forum struggling with the complexity of the human body anatomy, including myself. Although, there is a huge amount of references that can be found over the internet, I think that nothing helps more than a help & criticism from fellow artists. If we spice it up with a little bit of a challenge, that might push us to work and study harder!

How it will work ?

Every week I will create a thread with a new challenge, picking up a certain part of the body in three different poses. Don't worry, we won't run out! There is a great deal of ideas that we might use, to make it more demanding with each week.

Who can participate ?

Everyone! I don't want to limit the challenge only to sculptors, so, together with the pose, I'll try to post references on which, people can also draw an ecorche - Scott Eaton style.

It is not a requirement to use Zbrush/Mudbox, you can always create mesh in Maya or any other program, as long as it's about anatomy and people can critique your work.

Guidelines

• Always post the reference that you're using, it will make it easier for everyone else to critique your work
  • Please, try to post a critique on someone else work
  • Post the WIP of your study, you may spend a lot of time doing the final image and in the end you will learn that your basic shape is wrong
  • Have fun and learn! :)

Week 2 Theme

ARM(no hand required)- Two Poses - Relaxed and flexing biceps

Replies

•  Chris Bruin
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris Bruin polycounter lvl 10
    This is a great idea, thanks for starting this off!
  • bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Sweet, I'm excited to be working on these anatomy studies with you peeps
  • pangaea
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    I think its better to have it all in one thread and just edit it.

It would just be good to go through the thread and look at other people work and to do past challenges. However, if its a new thread every week you could end up with 20-50 threads and that will be a pain to search.
  • pigart
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    pangaea wrote: »
    I think its better to have it all in one thread and just edit it.

It would just be good to go through the thread and look at other people work and to do past challenges. However, if its a new thread every week you could end up with 20-50 threads and that will be a pain to search.

I think seperate threads are fine and actually simpler to search. You just need to add the theme of the challenge in the title. For example it could be "Weekly Anatomy Challenge - Week 2 [Male arm].
  • Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    I'd prefer to keep every week in separate post. This way people might come back to finish the challenge that they started and post in the topic 2-3 weeks later. In single topic it would all be confusing and turn the thread into one big anatomy dump without order :)

@pigart, that is good idea, from next week I'll include the challenge theme in the topic.

Some references that you might find useful in this challenge

maxresdefault.jpg
    tumblr_mjcw02U8Ml1s1qlqio2_1280.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQz595eaCmbnGlO7AP1lAudGy7Hf6EVaWu20NoTJuiila_aA6E
    11-1_static.jpg

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPyfa1KPmyY[/ame]
  • Finalhart
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    My vote is to have one post updated, just like hard surface challenge, eventually people will bump other weeks because it's hard to find in the forums specific week challenges.

Since i didn't have time last week i will post my arm study here along with it's torso, still don't know if it's ok to post in the Torso thread. Hope i can get some critiques :)

lj9rvFI.jpg

PTrSyJP.jpg

gMfqBus.jpg
  • Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    It is up to people what we do. If participants will decide that they prefer single topic, we will just make it, so far its divided :)

Of course you can post it like that. Personally, I found making the base shape for arm a lot harder without torso. Proportions were killing me.

I think that you torso is a bit too long. Arm is okay, but I'd look at references, because the shape is off, especially around Elbow.

That is my base shape so far:

PbOb6Au.jpg
    zZycrac.jpg
    xWhjT0x.jpg
  • bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Here is my study on the arm! Wow, I've never really studied arms before... this one was tough for me.

Let me know your thoughts. Cheers

71zoadQ.jpg

Edit: I also prefer seperate weekly threads as well

*Ooh I've also gotta do flexed, I'll make sure to do one
  • Malatoar
    Offline / Send Message
    Malatoar polycounter lvl 7
    I had a pretty hard time with the arm. It got a bit better when I put in a torso as well, but I'm still not too happy with it. After seeing your posts, I feel like I should maybe redo the lower arm, but I'm curious what you guys think.
    8TBcXpA.png

I'd like to keep the threads seperate as well.

As for feedback:
    @Jakub & bkost: Looks good to me!
    @Finalhart: Like Jakub said, the torso seems a bit too long and the elbow doesn't look right. I also think the back of the lower arm looks a little off.
  • Softz
    Offline / Send Message
    Softz polycounter lvl 2
    Hi guyz,
    here is my contribution,
    I only did the relax arm(i was sick this week)
    I worked 2 or 3 hour on it with ref searching(i use pinterest mostly for body reference).
    517820Armrepos.jpg

Imo there's the little correction i would have done
    301269Arm.jpg

I'm a newbie in anatomy so dont take thoses advices too seriously.

@Malatoar I feel like ur shoulder is too big i think. And u separate muscle too much imo.

Cya for the flexed arm if i got the time ;D
  • bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Thanks for the feedback peeps!

@Finalhear The one thing that looks funky to me is the opposite side of the bicep muscle

@Jakub I'd suggest defining the muscles a little bit more

@Malatoar Yea your shoulder area where the muscles are separated are too defined

@Softz The one thing that bugs me is your first view (very left pic) the wrist area is extremely thin, maybe a little too long.

Cheers guys
  • Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Everyone is making a great job over here :) I'm going to sleep now, so I'll try to post some critiques tmr.

My relaxed arm, I'll go for flexed right now :)

RTsQ4mR.jpg
    hh2d40D.jpg
    P8Wmze5.jpg
    iOhmvcv.jpg
  • bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Here's my flexed arm o.o

Qyx6re9.jpg
  • Kapoff
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    Oh yeas! I'll be joining you guys soon! This is great!
  • Rav3
    Offline / Send Message
    Rav3 interpolator
    Exactly what I'm looking for since I want to kill 2 rabbits like zbrush+anatomy, great topic! =)
  • markvalor
    Offline / Send Message
    markvalor polycounter lvl 6
    I am so happy to have found a thread like this! Thank you so much for posting this!

I've been learning zbrush and anatomy and I was hoping to make a posed sculpture. Please have a look at it!

arm%20study.jpg
  • Rav3
    Offline / Send Message
    Rav3 interpolator
    Here's some references from me. Rafael Grassetti sculpt, 3d scan and some things I found in internet. Cheers!

cAYAKEL.jpg
    vY66Km2.jpg
    OYzD7MN.jpg
    MAIMN8I.jpg
    GRDHn6T.jpg
    aGQldsF.jpg
    8fjLczY.jpg
  • Malatoar
    Offline / Send Message
    Malatoar polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

aiXRkI9.png
    mRTsA3A.png

I made a few changes to the relaxed pose trying to follow your feedback, and made the flexed pose as well.

Thanks a lot for the references Rav3, especially the last image was really helpful for me!
  •  Chris Bruin
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris Bruin polycounter lvl 10
    Here's my progress for my arm, it's part of a larger body sculpt I'm doing so I just ripped it off for this.

4sgqS82.png

I'm pulling reference from physical books, namely:
    Anatomy for the Artist by Jeno Barcsay
    Anatomy for the Artist by Sarah Simblet
    Anatomy for the Artist by David K. Rubins
    Anatomy for Sculptors by Uldis Zarins & Sandis Kondrats
  • Rav3
    Offline / Send Message
    Rav3 interpolator
    @Malatoar Glad that my references help someone! :)
    Flexing hand incoming!
    sZCydkm.jpg
  • Rav3
    Offline / Send Message
    Rav3 interpolator
  • Rav3
    Offline / Send Message
    Rav3 interpolator
    Shinigami wrote: »
    What brushes you guys use? And any tips to control the intensitY and size? I always have to go back and forth for the size and sometimes brush is too intensive. And how do you guys get you sculpt so smooth and uniform. Mines always has those bulges.

This's all brushes that you need =) If brush too intensive just lower your Z intensity

HkUc65D.jpg
  • Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Great to see so many participants! Rav3 I love your work, it looks awesome! I did not post a lot of critique this week due to lack of time and knowledge.

Guys, if you have any request regarding next theme, just post it here. I'll create next challenge tomorrow in the evening. No requests will result in going limb by limb, so hand would be our next challenge.

My two entries :)

8yDH8An.jpg
    AejzS1h.jpg
  • Rav3
    Offline / Send Message
    Rav3 interpolator
    @Jakub Thanks! =) I'm doing female arm right now for practice :)
  • pangaea
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    Is there going to be a skype group for this?

I'm trying to build up my zbrush skills by doing 30 to 2 hours sculpts.