Home Technical Talk

Blender 2.74 can't find my GTX 970.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
Hi!

I have a gtx 970 with the latest driver installed (347.88) Before i updated to Blender 2.74 my graphics card worked without a problem. i have attached a screenshot. Am i missing something?

Replies

• RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Same thing here but with the 545.

However I believe non-compute device means not GPU leaving only your CPU as an option, if you select the CUDA button at least for me it has the graphics card there.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Okay great to hear that someone else has this problem, where is the CUDA button?
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Sorry I meant to post this with my original post but forgot. It is right next to the none button that you pressed to see the CPU.

9cVCtkS.png

Edit: I have never had this problem but I just knew that you cannot get the GPU in that section because none basically means not your CUDA device so anything that is not CUDA which can compute such as a CPU or a AMD GPU will be in this section and because we both have Nvidia GPU's which means CUDA our GPU will always be in the CUDA option. Sorry for bad wording hope this explains it.
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    User Preferences/System/Compute Devices
    User%20Preferences.System_Compute%20Device.jpg

LOL...
    beat me to it :p
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    If you don't see your CUDA device in that menu it means that something's gone wrong with detecting it. Sometimes installing the CUDA Toolkit can help (and it's actually required to get GPU compute working in Linux).

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit

Make sure to close everything else on your computer when you initalize the render the first time, because the kernel compilation can easily max out a system with 8 gigabytes of RAM. You might also have to change some system environment variables so that nvcc, a command-line tool, is in the PATH.

If you don't feel like doing that you can search the Blender install directory for "cubin". This will find any compiled Cycles CUDA binaries that exist in the Blender install, and if you don't have one with sm52 in the name that could be causing your problem.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks alot for the help. The thing is i almost never do any thing that is super demanding. I create lowpoly stuff and to hand painted texture painting and stuff. Will i even get any benefits from using Cuda?
  • Ashaman73
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashaman73 polycounter lvl 6
    jimpaw wrote: »
    I create lowpoly stuff and to hand painted texture painting and stuff. Will i even get any benefits from using Cuda?
    I do lowpoly (3k-5k for a character should be l low poly today?) and handpainting and I integrate a baked AO map into the painting. Creating the AO map with CUDA enabled increased the performance for a clean bake, although a presentation renderer with cycle is a lot faster with CUDA enabled.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Ashaman73 wrote: »
    I do lowpoly (3k-5k for a character should be l low poly today?) and handpainting and I integrate a baked AO map into the painting. Creating the AO map with CUDA enabled increased the performance for a clean bake, although a presentation renderer with cycle is a lot faster with CUDA enabled.

Intresting! Thanks great to know! Ao bake is something i will be doing quite a bit from now on so it seems it could be worth it.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Ashaman73 wrote: »

Intresting! Thanks great to know! Ao bake is something i will be doing quite a bit from now on so it seems it could be worth it.