Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Weekly Anatomy Challenge - Week 1

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Jakub interpolator
I welcome you to the first Weekly Anatomy Challenge!

There is a lot of people on the forum struggling with the complexity of the human body anatomy, including myself. Although, there is a huge amount of references that can be found over the internet, I think that nothing helps more than a help & criticism from fellow artists. If we spice it up with a little bit of a challenge, that might push us to work and study harder!

How it will work ?

Every week I will create a thread with a new challenge, picking up a certain part of the body in three different poses. Don't worry, we won't run out! There is a great deal of ideas that we might use, to make it more demanding with each week.

Who can participate ?

Everyone! I don't want to limit the challenge only to sculptors, so, together with the pose, I'll try to post references on which, people can also draw an ecorche - Scott Eaton style.

It is not a requirement to use Zbrush/Mudbox, you can always create mesh in Maya or any other program, as long as it's about anatomy and people can critique your work.

Guidelines

• Always post the reference that you're using, it will make it easier for everyone else to critique your work
  • Please, try to post a critique on someone else work
  • Post the WIP of your study, you may spend a lot of time doing the final image and in the end you will learn that your basic shape is wrong
  • Have fun and learn! :)

Week 1 Theme

Muscular Torso - Two Poses - Relaxed and "Y" shape

Replies

• Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Unluckly, I do not have a lot of free time this week to compete in the challenge. But I've done torso studies recently, so I'll show you these and maybe inspire someone :)

3Lbkgyt.jpg
    wklCQzV.jpg
    zggRJ8D.jpg

7lpisj8.jpg
    fcaG2sd.jpg
    PdHbqJd.jpg
  • Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    Bolovorix ngon master
    I think that this is an awesome idea!
  • pangaea
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    @Jakub
    This is interesting to me. However, is it possible to just focus on building the base mesh in maya. Does the finish piece have to be a sculpt?

As I'm not really ready for Zbrush when I feel I could improve topology work outside of Zbrush if I'm totally honest with myself.
  • Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    You can go ahead and create base mesh in Maya, that is not a problem :)
  • jfitch
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Looking awesome Jakub! I wish I had time to do the challenge this week, lots of due dates stacking up! I'm excited to start next week.
  • pangaea
    Offline / Send Message
    I suppose this is a challenge thread so you could ask questions even if they are stupid.

But, is there any topology you should aim for in the mid section.

For example, this is what I have now.
    Ni3DpXi.png?1

This is what it looks like smoothed.

xBY269G.png?1

However, I've seen vastly different topology to the one I have now. In particular some topology of the stomach section don't have polygons circling the belly button. The topology of the best is largely done the same in most of base mesh I've seen.

This is the reference material I'm using.
    http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/paige-vanzant-poses-for-a-portrait-during-a-ufc-photo-news-photo/459273572

P.S. Also, I really need to learn how to normal map, but I'm going to try and save that for weekly hard surface challenge and stick to using smooth preview.
  • CharacterCarl
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Will hopefully be able to join next week. Inspiring stuff Jakub! :)
  • Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    I'm glad that you like it guys, it is also great to see so many people interested in joining the challenge :)
  • Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    8501700_orig.jpg
    Your torsos are looking good Jakub, I have nothing to crit to be honest :D

Really glad that there is this challenge, I just realized once more while sculpting that I have to learn way more about anatomy. Not happy with the back especially, also maybe should have added the beginning of the arms...
    No specific reference used, a bunch of different images and mainly an anatomy issue of imaginefx.

(Also crosspost from my Sculpting-Learningdiary)
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Great initiative, Jakub! I'd like to enter myself, but I probably won't have time for a while, specifically because I'm going through Scott Eaton's courses right now.

@ Shyralon: It would definitely be better to include at least the top part of the arms for this exercise, because many of the chest and back muscles insert onto the humerus. In order to put them in correctly, you want to be able to trace muscles from origin to insertion.
  • Malatoar
    Offline / Send Message
    Malatoar polycounter lvl 7
    RelaxedPose.png

@ Shyralon: I think DemonPrincess' advise is a very good starting point. I think this ecorche by Rafael Grassetti might also help you with the back.
  • bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Yesss! Thank you, I was planning on starting anatomy sculpts. This is perfect that I ran into this post, wooh!
  • Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Sorry, for not being to responsive during that week - Easter consumed a lot of my time :/

@Shyralon - like DemonPrincess said. Always try to make at least the top part of the arts, it will make everything easier for you.

The main mistake that I see, is the external oblique muscle. You will not really see that kind of a cut, as this muscle is just one solid piece, but top of it lies on the thorax, like that.

4850053983_b1b3e0aab9_b.jpg

Besides that, you're missing the clavicle :) That is one of the first shapes that you should on the body, it will help you to build pecs correctly. When you do it right, it will be easier for you to get the rest done.

5926334_orig.png

On the back, you're missing the latissimus dorsi, or at least I can't see them. On well built body they are very likely to be visible from the front. Below you can see them just behind the pecs and serratus anterior.

Skeletal-muscles-of-the-torso-and-arm.jpg

Same goes for teres muscles and infraspinatus - to get these done right, you need well placed scapula and at least the beginning of the arm. Scapula and group of 3 that I mentioned (teres major, minor, infraspinatus) are the most important part of the back of the torso. When these are sculpted in a wrong way, they'll mess up the whole back.

Overall you have the idea about muscles placement and proportions, I'd only make the torso a little bit wider, mostly on the part where you have rib cage.

@Malatoar

First thing I'd do is to bring the armpit a little bit higher, on the back it is really and it gives the impression of having really small lads.

Back-muscles.jpg

When you lift your hands like that, your clavicle will also change the postion, it will be facing more towards the bottom.

That video is really nice to check the movment of scapula and clavicle

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF7oST34r4s[/ame]

What you're looking for with your sculpt is around 4:03min.

Tomorrow I'll be posting new topic with challenge for another week! If you have any request what would you like to do, post these and we can always do it :)
  • Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    Jakub, you are awesome :D
    That's very good reference, all saved for further studying.
    So glad you started this challenge :)
  • bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Here's my torso sculpt! Again, thanks for coming up with this idea. I'm glad I found it :D

Also I'm wondering how to fix the seam for the model that go downs the center, I did make a simple low poly mesh as my starting point using a mirror modifier. I'm sure thats the cause, but how do i fix it?

Cheers!

yzCOBs3.jpg
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    When using a mirror modifier, you have to make sure your low poly mesh is really clean, that all the verts along the mirror line are perfectly in the center. Otherwise, it will create extra thin polygons along the middle line.

To fix this now, you have to clean up your base mesh and reproject the detail. That, or use GoZ to fix up the lowest division in Max/Maya.
  • Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    @Shyralon, good to see you find them useful :)

@bkost, really nice sculpt. I think that you could make these pecs a little bit larger and more rounded. Also, widen chest a little bit, in place where you have ribcage.

I'll start new challenge in few hours :) If you have ideas just post them here
  • bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Thanks @DemonPrincess for the info!

@Jakub,Thank you for the critique!

I'd suggest that we go through all of the anatomy one by one. We can start with Male, doing Torso. Legs. Feet. Arms. Hands. Eyes. Ears. Nose. Etc. Then the last one would make a full body sculpt incorporating all that we learned...

Then we see how that all goes and then we can do the Female Body!
  • Malatoar
    Offline / Send Message
    Malatoar polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the feedback!
    I updated my A pose a bit
    j0c2tEY.png

and I started on a Y pose, but didn't get to spend as much time on this one as I would have liked. I think the armpit should have been facing forward more. Figured I'd post it anyways!
    4BX0IIU.png

Curious what we'll be doing for week 2!
  • Softz
    Offline / Send Message
    Softz polycounter lvl 2
    Arf, i missed the first week, i'll catch you this week.
    Thanks for the challenge Jacob, that's a great idea to improve our knowledge.
  • pangaea
    Offline / Send Message
    If you introduce gender it could become some what offensive. For example, a female nose, female eyes, female arms. What is even a female nose, I guess it not a big nose, hence the term manly nose.

Edit: The same could be said if you introduce race.
  • bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    pangaea wrote: »
    If you introduce gender it could become some what offensive. For example, a female nose, female eyes, female arms. What is even a female nose, I guess it not a big nose, hence the term manly nose.

Edit: The same could be said if you introduce race.

d0e62304b81f6182931224c9b2dbf698a59c610b2c5d01093b58d2571d4d049c.jpg