Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Nicolasw's Substance Materials

Replies

• ArtbyV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtbyV polycounter lvl 8
    NicolasW wrote: »
    Toolbag is supposed to be able to load sbsar files, but I'm not sure it maps the substance outputs correctly..
    So I prefer using bitmaps for now.
    The setup is pretty simple:
    - I used a custom env map (corsica beach from SD)
    - I put a large bluish area light on the left side to get the highlight
    - Then just make sure you invert the normal Y channel (if you use a directX normal in SD/SP)
    - Invert the roughness to get a glossiness, set it to linear
    - Use metallic instead of specular, set it to linear
    - use GGX instead of blinn/phong

That's it, the visual result is very similar to SD/SP.

Thanks for sharing! I'll give that a shot tonight.
  • ArtbyV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtbyV polycounter lvl 8
    That worked like a charm. Here's my output with Substance on the left and Toolbag on the right.

MarmosetSubstanceComparison.jpg

Pay no need to my actual texture. This is my first substance and I'm still figuring out how all this works. My focus now is getting the normals in the grout and the brick edges to pop. Thanks for the assist. Much appreciated!
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    Damn I need to learn substance! Haha!
  • Thousand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thousand polycounter lvl 9
    NicolasW wrote: »
    Toolbag is supposed to be able to load sbsar files, but I'm not sure it maps the substance outputs correctly..

As long as you are only using the basic outputs, sbsars work in Marmoset. But if you want to map let´s say fuzz or so, you have to use maps.
    In the Marmoset thread @polycount, I have already suggested to make all map slots in marmoset accessable through Substance outputs, and I really hope, that this will be done rather sooner than later.

The power of Substances is the ability to be tweaked inside 3rd party applications - so it´s really a pity, if you have som half-integrated solution like in Marmoset.