Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - Mandate From Heaven - LunaZ

Replies

• LunaZ
    Offline / Send Message
    LunaZ polycounter lvl 3
    will do. For now, there was only one (very cheap) skylight and one diretional light.

next in plan is more hanging lights in the foreground, and new ground texture, something reflective. So many exciting setting to test out. I'm totally running out of time. :D
    But also pumped with adrenaline, because the scene starting to take shape!
  • LunaZ
    Offline / Send Message
    LunaZ polycounter lvl 3
    Continued to tweak on the lighting a little bit. It's going in the direction I want.

Here are some WIP screenshots:
    95meeAg.jpg

FSBg1D1.jpg

pqp1WTe.jpg

Here are some details:

8hpVcPn.jpg

E2tHIyT.jpg

now, finally the close look of my throne:
    24i5T2J.jpg

everything still need tweaking, so it will be a sleepless weekend. Wish me luck and tell whatever you think :D
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
  • kimmokaunela
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    Starts to look great! May the polygon gods be with you!
  • LunaZ
    Offline / Send Message
    LunaZ polycounter lvl 3
    I shall not disappoint the polygon gods!
  • LunaZ
    Offline / Send Message
    LunaZ polycounter lvl 3
    So, the weekend is over and I didn't manage to do some huge progress, but I managed to do something:

NDPcotm.jpg

txA9QPc.jpg

srHEEor.jpg

and here shot into the other direction:

NeOH00J.jpg
  • LunaZ
    Offline / Send Message
    LunaZ polycounter lvl 3
    Does anyone know a good tutorial to make a skybox for UE4?
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    so much detial, love it dude, \m/
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    (°◡°♡).:。
  • LunaZ
    Offline / Send Message
    LunaZ polycounter lvl 3
    @ Syros + Spoon: Thanks a lot.
    I'm still good in time, so I'll do some tweaking I think. Actually I'm really happy it will be over soon. I miss my free time... But it was a great experience!
  • LunaZ
    Offline / Send Message
    LunaZ polycounter lvl 3
    So, another day of tweaking. I noticed, the progress bar is loading far too slow. Well, I guess for now, it's just whining on a very high level.

So, this is the result what I managed to get today. Mostly tweaked:
    - general lighting
    - sky added
    - background added
    - color grading added

ge8LHes.jpg

8xluxYo.jpg

vW1IIgK.jpg

rnzpwDC.jpg

for some reason the screenshot tool in unreal is super buggy and did something with the screenshots that shouldn't be there:
    - god rays toooooooooo strong (I found out, the value for the light shafts are doubled on the screenshot so I have to use half the number to archive the result. That kind of made the whole screenshot thing irrelevant)
    - sky is barely visible on the screenshots. (also it was much darker in the running game)
    - the whole scene appears too pink on the screenshots.

but we will get there tomorrow. Final step coming towards me. To do:

- rebake lighting (I was stupid! After baked at production quality, I moved around stuff >.<)
    - find a way to make accurate screenshots
    - put together all the stuff I need for posting
    - export all substance as bitmap before the license expire and I can't use it anymore

and yet again, any critic is welcome.
  • LunaZ
    Offline / Send Message
    LunaZ polycounter lvl 3
    So, I'm done.

Althought the throne room is very far away from my first idea and not exactly the way I wanted, but I'm still satisfied with it. So not much words needed, here you go:

vj1Nwna.jpg

giMuqNf.jpg

Z0mDqBW.jpg

These are the beauty shots I'll sumbit. But for the WIP thread, I decided to add tow more. Just because I really like them:

TnBMTxm.jpg

PzT87C1.jpg

For those who followed this thread, they know I had went through a lot of design changes and tears to find something that willl work. From very traditional to a stone formation, then to this final Lotus seat. I don't remember where I had this idea, but I think it worked out pretty well. So here is my Lotus Throne:

mHWDrGx.jpg

Bonus round:

I knew from the beginning, I wanted this room to be huge. I wanted to create the feeling that a normal person had to walk across half the world to be at his emperor's feet and while he's doing that, I want the whole court to watch him closely. So I had to create a huge and open room.
    The tile set I planned actually survived the many design changes. And here again, I mixed some traditional pattern with the Lotus them that came with the finalized throne.

ubKnjm6.jpg

It was really simple straight forward. Since I had the columns to frame the corners and the seems, it was actually really easy to make them. All together it took me about 40 hours to be finished with the tileset Lowpoly and normal maps baked from highpoly.
    If I had more time, I would have polished something more, like make every seam fit perfectly or every vertex perfectly aligned.

So, last but not least, I was reviewing all the screenshots, rendering and other images I did during the past 10 weeks and I could never have imagined how the result would look like. So here a short recap of my adventurous design progression. :D

6ShFOVv.png

So that's basically it. I want to thank all the awesome people with me on this great journey. I learned so much from others and through the countless supporters both from PC and RL. I can't imagine doing this without some of you guys pep talk me up again.

Keep rockin'

Lily Zhu
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Great work, Lily! Really turned out well :)