Home General Discussion

Mechanical rigg in Unity

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Psyminator polycounter lvl 8
Hi
I'm having som problem making this rigg to work in Unity. In Maya I just use IKs to make the hydraulic looking cylinders move into each other when the arm elbow rotates from its joint. But it won't work in Unity. I downloaded Dozer's Inverse Kinematic but I just can't make it work. It says something like; can't add script component. Make sure there are no compiling errors... Also I don't know very much scripting at all.

I've been experimenting with som joints and rigidbody components. But it all went banans!

I really want this to work because it's for my internship for a very important job :(

The problem can be discribed with this picture:
http://cargocollective.com/albertakesson/ISSUE

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    You should try posting problems in the tech area. Did you export your model as an fbx with animation? When you do make sure to tick the checkbox that says something like transform bones to dummies. You dont need scripts to import a model with an animation just to control animations in the game engine. if you are getting a script warning it probably means you are trying to import a rigging system.
  • Psyminator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyminator polycounter lvl 8
    I'm new here. don't really know where to go with this problem. It seem harder than I thought.

I exported it in .fbx as usually. Though IK-solvers don't tend to cling with it. It never does because inverse kinematics are handled differnt in several applications. I assumed there would be some kind of solution within Unity. Yet is has not come to me...
  • jfeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    There's a couple of things you could do. I wouldn't run an IK constraint on something that simple in realtime. I would use anim poses and blend between. Rig it in maya(however you like) and export 2-3 single frame anims, an extreme up, a neutral and an extreme down. In unity you can create a new blend tree with mecanim and use these 3 poses in it. Expose the blend parameters and control it in a script. Hopefully that makes sense/points you in the right direction
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    jfeez wrote: »
    There's a couple of things you could do. I wouldn't run an IK constraint on something that simple in realtime. I would use anim poses and blend between. Rig it in maya(however you like) and export 2-3 single frame anims, an extreme up, a neutral and an extreme down. In unity you can create a new blend tree with mecanim and use these 3 poses in it. Expose the blend parameters and control it in a script. Hopefully that makes sense/points you in the right direction
    This sounds like the way to go.

Technical talk is here:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43