Home Technical Talk

Abnormalities in normal/AO map

solidshark91493
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
solidshark91493 polycounter lvl 6
I've been slowly and quite painfully learning how to UV and bake the weapon I made with the help of this site. And I think Ive finally almost nailed it.
After the last failed attempt I deleted my low poly, remade one from the high poly. After I lowered the count I did the smoothing groups, essentially anything over about a 75 degree angle got its own group. Then I Uv mapped it based on the smoothing groups, then packed it.

And here we are. I did this in Xnormal. First result wasnt too spectacular. Then I read about it and saw someone suggest triangulating it first. So I did that to my low poly mesh, re exported it. And this is the result. Im looking for what I did incorrectly. As you can see Most of it looks fine (to me) but there's a few really splotchy results.

test_normals.png

test_occlusion.png

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    You have problem areas in your cage, just make sure you've covered your entire mesh with a cage before baking.
  • solidshark91493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have problem areas in your cage, just make sure you've covered your entire mesh with a cage before baking.

Is that it? I just used xnormals ray distance calculator. Should I use the cage from max? I can never get it to come out very well..
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that it? I just used xnormals ray distance calculator. Should I use the cage from max? I can never get it to come out very well..
    Use a cage if you have at least somewhat complex object. In your example, it's the best way to do it.
  • solidshark91493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use a cage if you have at least somewhat complex object. In your example, it's the best way to do it.

Alright Ill give it a shot. Two more questions.
    1. Do I need the ray distance calculator if I use a setup cage?
    2. Any tips on setting up the cage on my exploded weapon easier?
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright Ill give it a shot. Two more questions.
    1. Do I need the ray distance calculator if I use a setup cage?
    2. Any tips on setting up the cage on my exploded weapon easier?

1. No
    2. Apply cages, explode, do quick test bakes in 3ds max or whatever to see mistakes. When satisfied- export everything exploded in Xnormal for baking.
  • solidshark91493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. No
    2. Apply cages, explode, do quick test bakes in 3ds max or whatever to see mistakes. When satisfied- export everything exploded in Xnormal for baking.

I currently have it exploded. And its a single mesh so its exploded by element.. Just gonna go through and manually adjust the cage I suppose then Ill re export and try again.
    Thanks for the speedy help! Ill post the result when I have it.
  • solidshark91493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So earthquake thanks for the help. I remade the cage, each and every piece I made sure the cage was just barely covering without anything showing through. Its SO close but I dont know what to do now.. Heres my latest test in xnormal:
    Testing_normals.png

Testing_occlusion.png

Dont suppose anyone would check out my meshes/cage to see if Im still doing something incorrect? Been trying to do this thing for nearly a year now off and on and Id like to be done with it.. >.>
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's obvious that you either have spots in your cages that don't cover the hp geometry or there's overlapping of cages somewhere because of tricky geo or you forgot to explode some parts.

Post your files, I'll take a look at them if you want.
  • solidshark91493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright whats the best way to go about that? I appreciate it. I think its really close >.>
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright whats the best way to go about that? I appreciate it. I think its really close >.>

Dropbox, google drive, onedrive... there are plenty of options to host your files, and free.
  • solidshark91493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright heres the max file. If you need it in another format or something I could probly provide that.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7z8xaz87xy446ux/Tgun.max?dl=0
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Told you the cage mistakes are obvious. Before doing any serious bakes you should do quick 3ds max bakes for projection errors. Also hit Export in your projection modifier to see how your cages look.

8Ur4efO.png

See? Cage here clearly doesn't cover the highpoly properly.

HO2LwL7.jpg

Test bake in 3ds Max. All your mistakes are clearly visible here.
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    I'm a MODO user but this might be useful for you. When creating and placing cages for bakes, I give my HP a distinct red material and for the LP a white material, this way it's really easy to create and place the cage since you can see the gaps between the two meshes.
  • solidshark91493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Told you the cage mistakes are obvious. Before doing any serious bakes you should do quick 3ds max bakes for projection errors. Also hit Export in your projection modifier to see how your cages look.

8Ur4efO.png

See? Cage here clearly doesn't cover the highpoly properly.

HO2LwL7.jpg

Test bake in 3ds Max. All your mistakes are clearly visible here.

I tried that as well, and it didnt look quite that bad, dunno why. But Im pretty sure all that red isnt poking through the cage? or is it.. I can go through it again.. I couldnt tell you where a lot of the pieces on that uv map are on the gun so I'll have to investigate.

I think the one thing I havent tried/not sure if I need to do (besides making the cage tidy and correct) Is making the low poly match up to the high poly a bit better. I want sure quite how that needed to be, HP inside or should it be just outside the LP mesh? Or should they be as close to exactly the same as possible.. Just stuff I dont know yet.

Besides the cage it generally looks ok though?
  • solidshark91493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H wrote: »
    I'm a MODO user but this might be useful for you. When creating and placing cages for bakes, I give my HP a distinct red material and for the LP a white material, this way it's really easy to create and place the cage since you can see the gaps between the two meshes.

That does sound like it would help actually. Ill try that
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But Im pretty sure all that red isnt poking through the cage? or is it.. I can go through it again.. I couldnt tell you where a lot of the pieces on that uv map are on the gun so I'll have to investigate.

I think the one thing I havent tried/not sure if I need to do (besides making the cage tidy and correct) Is making the low poly match up to the high poly a bit better. I want sure quite how that needed to be, HP inside or should it be just outside the LP mesh? Or should they be as close to exactly the same as possible.. Just stuff I dont know yet.

Besides the cage it generally looks ok though?

Lowpoly should conform as close to HP as possible. The cage should cover the HP fully and it doesn't really matter how big the cage is, so don't worry about that.

All the red spots are projection errors, it means that a cage couldn't pick up details somewhere for whatever reason.
  • solidshark91493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lowpoly should conform as close to HP as possible. The cage should cover the HP fully and it doesn't really matter how big the cage is, so don't worry about that.

All the red spots are projection errors, it means that a cage couldn't pick up details somewhere for whatever reason.

Ok awesome, so as far as conforming goes, like with that part you pictured, the hp sticking out slighty isnt too bad right?

And Ill go over the cage again and see why its not picking those up if I can.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok awesome, so as far as conforming goes, like with that part you pictured, the hp sticking out slighty isnt too bad right?

of course it's bad, the cage should cover everything or you're gonna get projection errors
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    HP sticking through the LP is fine (actually it's normal, the HP and LP should match as close as possible so they should be sticking through each other everywhere), HP sticking through the cage is bad. The program will only bake whats in the cage, there will always be errors anywhere the HP sticks through, the whole point of the cage is to completely contain the HP.
  • solidshark91493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    HP sticking through the LP is fine (actually it's normal, the HP and LP should match as close as possible so they should be sticking through each other everywhere), HP sticking through the cage is bad. The program will only bake whats in the cage, there will always be errors anywhere the HP sticks through, the whole point of the cage is to completely contain the HP.
    yeah thats what I meant. I didnt mean sticking through the cage. Alright. So Ill go over the whole thing again and see if I can correct where its sticking through based off all that red.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Apply a completely saturated, 100% value color to your high poly. Apply a dark grey to your low poly. Adjust cage based on that, it makes it easier.
  • solidshark91493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! wrote: »
    Apply a completely saturated, 100% value color to your high poly. Apply a dark grey to your low poly. Adjust cage based on that, it makes it easier.

Thanks for the tip! :D
    Ill do that too.