Home General Discussion

How does job relocating affect your personal life?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
Hey polycounters. As like all noobs I am an aspiring 3d artist with dreams to work in the industry. The thing is, If I get in the industry I know I will have to relocate. Which means leaving family and friends behind. And I know we are in an era with things like Skype, where we can connect with each other from how ever far away, but nothing beats actually physically being with your loved ones. I mean,I'm young now but in the future I want a wife and child.

I know you can relocate your family, but that would mean that they would leave everything behind too. They would have to leave their job, kid would have to switch schools and start a new life, for what, just to relocate again when my contracts over or I get laid off?

I'm just curious as to how some of you artists out there handle relocating when it comes to personal life. Or am I just overthinking and it's not really that bad? its something on my mind and I'd appreciate anyone who shares an experience with me.

Thanks.

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @TeriyakeStyle: ><, though I'm slowly understanding the robot prostitutes idea.

On a more serious note, even with my paltry experience, I share your sentiments, Grungy. The thought of leaving friends, family, people I love and want to love behind is definitely an obstacle. Not insurmountable, but a present challenge.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Well, as you make more game art you'll find you become more and more interested in spending time on the PC. Family and friends will only hold you back, so... screw them!

Seriously though, I understand your predicament. I've recently been offered 2 jobs at places that don't even speak English and its pretty daunting - as well as work I would have to learn the language. However I have a spanish friend that moved to London 10 years back and he said it was the best decision he made, it gets you out of your comfort zone and above all its exciting, which is what life is all about (my post is getting a little bloggy now.)

How old are you? Where are you based? If you think you would have to relocate, could you look at game studios in any of the surrounding areas where it wouldn't be drastically far away from family and friends, so you could visit them often? You can check things like Gamedev Map for an idea of where the closest studios are to you, they recently updated it. I would encourage you to do this though. Doing stuff like this helps you grow as a person and like I said, gets you out your comfort zone.

One last thing I would say is the way your post was written is very 'all or nothing', the thought that you will be leaving behind your friends and family and hardly seeing them. To a certain extent that might be the case, but you could make it work and try to see them often. If you gave it a shot for a year or so, a year would fly by and you'd also have a better idea of what you want to do next. From experience I would say don't be held back by 'what if's', just go for it!
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    You are not over thinking the issue. If you are determined to have a long career in the game industry, the need to relocate multiple times could have a large impact on how your life plays out.

Of course, you could get lucky, and never need to relocate. However, that is not something you can assume will happen.
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Relocating was the best thing that ever happened to me.

I moved from Belgium to France (Bordeaux) back in june 2014 for my first job and things have just been great. Now, I'm a 25 years old single guy so it's pretty easy for me to move to another country and start a new life. Of course, you will leave familly and friends behind but you'll meet tons of new people, make new friends and if your family cares they'll visit you from time to time.

I guess things get more complicated once you have a wife/girlfriend but some people are willing to move to another place for their loved one.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    i relocated 1 year ago for a job and i still dont know if that was a good decision.
    i would say try it at least once.
    with kids and stuff, i would probably wait until you are good enough to do freelance only.
    my family moved a lot when i was a kid and i didn't mind at the time, but now i see that it was very detrimental to me. i don't have any lifelong friends and that sucks.
  • Praglik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Praglik polycounter lvl 9
    I guess I can answer this!

I'm a 23 years old Technical Level Artist from France, and a couple of years ago I got a job offer in Eastern Europe.

I had basically 5 days to get ready and tell my family and friends I'm gonna leave for a country they knew nothing about.
    At first, you might think you have to make a choice between your friends and your career.

It's not true.

Since I accepted this job, I met wonderful people, some of the most talented artists I've ever met became my closest friends, my family is proud of me and asks tons of questions about this country. They even visit me sometimes.
    If anything, it actually consolidated my family's bonds.

I lost touch with many friends I had before, sure. But not all of them, as I continue chatting almost every day with my closest ones through Skype, Steam or Facebook. We play together every week, we go in vacation together, they visit me and I visit them when we have time.

I mentioned I was French for a reason - I was stereotypically terrible in languages, especially in English... But I had to speak it everyday, so of course I got better, and I even learnt some basics of the local language!

Also, keep in mind, if someone wants to hire you in another country, they probably don't expect you to speak the language fluently in a month. Or maybe they don't even care at all, like where I work now. At first, everyone spoke English when I was around, but since I joined we got many more foreigners - from Brazil, Moldova, England, Greece... And even another French dude, who works on UI/UX... Everyone speaks English now.

On another topic, if you're single now, it's much easier to move out, for sure. But I also had a girlfriend when I left France, and because I was so enthusiast about moving out of the country she decided to move with me - and now she's also employed in a game studio here and started a career in localization.

I sounds like I'm trying to convince you, and I totally am.
    But really, especially if you're young you have nothing to lose :)
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    If you're young and single, it's not an issue.
    Move away from your family? So what, it'll give you people to go see during your time off. For friends, you'll make new ones, and any of the old ones you fall out of touch with were probably not really important friends, or it'll just mean you have that much more to chat about whenever you do meet up with them again later on.

Things get alot more complicated when you have a girl/boy friend and kid(s) of course, so all the more reason to gain experience and move around while that's not an issue.

Traveling is great, do it while you can!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I can echo the feedback of the other polycounters who relocated internationally. Best thing that happened to me. I met so many awesome people and it really helped to expand my horizon, especially since you get so much more out of it than just seeing the world as tourist. Do it before you have a family though ;)
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Yep like everyone says, while you are young and single relocating can be fantastic fun. I've done it quite a few times and it's never been a problem. You just have to learn to put effort into making new friends.

Once you have a spouse and kids (like me), things change. Ideally you've got some experience under your belt, so if your family is not up for moving a lot, find a job near one of the studio hubs. Near a large city, where if you lose your job, other options will become available.

Once you have a family you have to learn to compromise, and that could mean giving up working for your dream studio(s) or having to work for one you aren't as keen on. But being a professional CG artist is an awesome job no matter where you are :thumbup:
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Alright, I can give you a hand here.

I'm a 21 year old Jr Environment Artist living and working in Brighton, UK. However, when I was 18 I moved from Barcelona, Spain to a small town outside London to study Games Art. I then graduated to my job down here south.

I had lived in Barcelona for 12 years, and made a very good bunch of friends. A few of them moved to London, which was cool, but most of them stayed in Barcelona. It's been three and a half years since I moved away and everytime I go back I meetup with all my friends and it's almost as if time hasn't passed. Everyone get's on with their lives and goes different paths, but it's cool that those friendships remain (it's also a good way of realising who you want to be friends with and who isn't going to stay as a close friend). Speaking with people that stayed in Barcelona, it's not like they're alwaays together and having a good time. Most people find there study path etc so everyone's busy during the week and all that.

Anyway, when I moved to UK i made a whole bunch of good friends again, met my girlfriend and some good people along the way. Then I got my job an hey, it wasn't next door, but I went anywhere and guess what, the same pattern repeats. You stay in touch with those who you cherish as your friends, slowly loose touch with those who aren't and you make new friends. I'm still together with my girlfriend despite the long distance. It's only temporal anyway if you know what I mean :)

Oh, and family are always going to be there, regardless of wherever you go.

Conclusion for me: You are bringing stress upon yourself because of things that have not happened yet. Cross that bridge whenever you get to it :) I don't regret ANY decision i've made since I moved from the comfort of home.

Yep, hope that helps :)
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    American here, moved to Europe 10 years ago and never have looked back. Ive been fortunate to live in Denmark,Germany and Holland and its been the best years of my life. I love being able to travel to many countries and meet people from other countries. Some of the most open,friendly and interesting people on Earth are those who are willing to try living outside of their country. It does literally change you and broaden your view of this world. I understand the part about wanting to marry and have kids, I wanted that as well,I just didnt know I would find her living in Denmark.

If you can manage, do it, it will be the best years of your life.
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    Sugus wrote: »

Oh, and family are always going to be there, regardless of wherever you go.

Conclusion for me: You are bringing stress upon yourself because of things that have not happened yet. Cross that bridge whenever you get to it :) I don't regret ANY decision i've made since I moved from the comfort of home.

Yep, hope that helps :)

This right here is killer advice! Honestly, it's better to start worrying about all of that once you start getting interviews for companies out of state. Or you're just going to stress yourself out. Just work on your folio and making awesome art first, and then stress about the rest. ;D

I actually just relocated for a job to another state, I'm planned to get married in October and my fiance along with my friends and family are still back home.

It's difficult, but you can make it work for sure! Google Hangouts & Skype are great, and if you want to watch a movie or something together you can you rabb.it and stream stuff together.
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    Hmm I haven't lived at home for about 8 years now, which is crazy considering how much I was glued to my computer, never leaving my bedroom.

I'm from Scotland originally, did 4 years at University away from my hometown. 2 years in England, and now 2 years in Canada.

Travelling has changed me entirely, I love it. New cities, new people, new friends - it's all exciting to me. If you're stuck in the same place for a while then things can get a little stale. Moving always made everything more interesting for me.

I have friends with families who have moved as well and things have worked out for them too, even if their family has had to join them up to 6 months after.

If you ever get the opportunity to move, I would fully recommend it. If you are hesitant, perhaps you can go for a shorter amount of time. It can honestly be a great thing, particularly if you are young. I was 24 when I moved to Canada and it is without doubt the scariest thing I have ever done but I've also had the best times of my career.
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    It can definitely be hard, leaving friends and/or family behind. But, you have to realize that it is all worth it in the end, plus you might be in a cool place that people can come visit you at!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Some interesting experiences here, is there anyone else here who relocated to a place that didn't speak their native language? Would be interesting to hear how you got on and the difficulties you had, etc.

As previously mentioned I have an interview with one studio where English isn't considered the main language, although a lot of people at the studio have diverse ethnicities and I have been told it wouldn't be as difficult to communicate as it seems.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    I have ,everytime it was a place where English was not the native tongue. However every game studio I've worked at had English as the primary language. In all the studios they will speak their native tongues, but switch over to English when a non speaker is present. I it's Scandanavia forget about it, I've met Danes who speak better English then Americans. However for everyday things some countries can be harder but manageable. Like France and Germany,english speakers can be hit or miss. So for me it had never been an issue.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    My father was an officer in the Navy and due to that I had to move a lot, to a bunch of different countries, growing up. I constantly went to new schools, left friends behind etc. So, the leaving part isn't very difficult for me. Because I have learned that real friends will stay with you, no matter how far away you are and that your family won't disappear just because you live a plane ride (or two) away.

The only parts that worry me a bit are if I had a serious relationship and had to move, what would I do then? and not being able to communicate at all because the people there can't speak English (France is notorious for this, for example).
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    These days it's relatively easy to make new friends and stay in touch with old ones - especially if you're used to chatting online, playing video games, etc. Don't be fooled by the posts saying that family will always be there and able to visit you wherever you go though. Life is a big gamble and its impossible to know whats around the corner for you. I relocated only two and a half years ago and since that time both of my parents have passed away before they even made it to retirement. On one hand it would be developmentally crippling to live your life in fear of things like that and you have to do what you need to to make the career you want. On the other hand, there might come a time when you'd want to trade everything for one more visit. Do whats best for you.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    my last job I moved cross country to a city where I knew no one. Work ended up being most of my social life. I find it kind of tough to meet new people. I definitely got along with my coworkers. They were a lot of fun, and we went for beers after work pretty often, but a lot of them were married with kids. So not all of them I could hang out with all the time. Plus we were all working a lot of OT to finish the game. But outside of work, I started exercising more, getting outside more to go biking. But didnt meet too many people outside of work. I would go out to the local bar once or twice a week just to have a beer, watch the game. Met a few people that way. Worked too much to really join any clubs or anything.

Towards the end of my contract, the guys at work and I started to be more social after work, and I felt like i was really starting to hit my stride, get a personal life. But then the contract ended and i moved again.

With all that said, I`m a bit of an introvert, so I was actually pretty happy with everything.

I guess it depends on how social you are. How good you are at meeting new people and putting yourself out there. But I will say, if you`re new to town, or even if you aren't, people at your new job are going to be very friendly and try and help you settle in. You may have lonely moments, and you`ll miss your family and friends. But you`ll definitely eventually settle in, make new friends, get a new life. And you`ll definitely be able to stay in contact with friends and family back home. The internet is a marvelous thing.

Honestly, I wouldn't trade my experience for anything. It got me out of my bubble and comfort zone. If you`re unattached, why not move? do something a lot of people won't. A new life experience. As for if you have a family, wife, kids, that sort of thing.... I can't speak to that. Others may be able to. but if you`re single. Absolutely, don't let what if's hold you back! You`ll regret it. Just my 2 cents.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Torch wrote: »
    Some interesting experiences here, is there anyone else here who relocated to a place that didn't speak their native language? Would be interesting to hear how you got on and the difficulties you had, etc.

Most people in my studio just speak Chinese. I got a good number of English speakers in my own team though, because as technical artists we just have to understand client supplied specs, support forumns, manuals and what not. In the studio you mostly find foreigners in lead positions, because they bring in skills and production expertise that you can't easily find locally. Sometimes there are cultural and linguistic barriers, but it helps that the industry is a very casual and a very young one. I feel it's easier to deal with younger artists than with older business folks.