chair1.jpg

BLOCKOUTS
throne_Blockout_005.jpg

http://codywright.com/THRONE/throne_Blockout_004.jpg

http://codywright.com/THRONE/throne_Blockout_003.jpg

Reference
ref_Board.jpg

Breakdown
The apocalypse has happened...in the 1940's.
A ruthless gang lord dubbed "The Captain" has taken up residence in an old airport as headquarters for the "Maintenance Marauders", the most feared and ruthless group of bandits on the decimated landscape of the post-society North-East.

The Captain's throne is made from elements of the surrounding architecture, radio and electronics equipment, plane parts and more. It sits inside the forward fuselage of a DC-3 which had crashed into the airport during the chaos many years ago. His aviation know-how has made living for his Marauders fairly comfortable with electricity supplied from generators powered by the large stockpile of fuel that was left, and what they can steal and pilfer.

Engine - UE4
Software - Substance Suite, Max, Photoshop, Zbrush, xNormal - more as we need it.

Replies

• Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    New blockout now with more goodness. I think the new composition is much stronger.
    Also did a paintover of a possible lighting solution.
    Paintover001.jpg

throne_Blockout_008.jpg

throne_Blockout_006.jpg

throne_Blockout_007.jpg

First Prop blockout.
    Just a little radio from the era that will be lying around, will be dirty and a bit busted up.

Radio001_High01.jpg
  • Em.
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    We're making some progress, got some work done over the weekend on mocking up/getting some starting modeling done on the Captain's throne. I'm planning on the seat being upholstered in red velvet, not sure if the deco accents will be chrome, bronze or both, lots of room to play around with things. The instrument panels in the background will be powered and lit. We'll start to get into some of our modular architecture pieces and substances soon and Cody is planning on working on the crashed plane.
    ThroneWIP1.jpg
    ThroneWIP2.jpg
  • Benmx
    Nice, in some way remind me captain sky movie
  • Jesse Walsh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Walsh polycounter lvl 7
    Looks cool! I am also working with an art deco style. What sort of color palette are you planning on using?
  • Nheerph
    Wasn't too sure about this one when you first started but it seems to be shaping up pretty well! :)
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Jesse - Not sure yet. A lot of silver to start :)
    Nheerph - thanks, that first blockout was a bit rough, wasn't it?

ANYWAYS, starting on the engine high poly.
    Engine001.png
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Still going...slowly.

Max WIPs
    plane001.jpg

plane002.jpg

plane003.jpg

Unreal 4 test
    unreal002.jpg

Floor Rubble Piece High
    Rubble0031.jpg
  • Em.
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    So, we're still going, cranking away on assets, just been a bit derailed by stuff at work. Cody's kicking some ass on the plane and some rubble while I try to hit a bunch of modular stuff and textures.
    Here's some WIP things, columns, damaged tiles(made plain tiles as well but no SS's), ornate tileable railing piece(also have a plain and mid-level of detail version for variety's sake). Rail and tiles are in Substance. Everything needs more love, but hitting it all and then will go back and polish.
    columns1.jpg
    Tile_Damaged.jpg
    Railing_ornatewip001.jpg
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    UPDATE!

Engine Low poly with a quick metal substance I made. Added some grime to see how it looks. Work in progress on engine and substance.

Engine001_sp.jpg

metal001.jpg

High Poly work on the first wing fragment.

WingFragment.jpg
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    High Poly update on the wing fragment.

WingFragment004.jpg
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Update on the wing fragment. Low poly made and texturing begun in Substance Painter. Did the all the map baking in SD-mmmmm love it.

WingFragment006.jpg

WingFragment005.jpg
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Starting to flesh out the nose section of the plane.

PlaneNose001.jpg
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Finally got a layout I like in Unreal. Threw on a couple base materials on things, all placeholder. A lot of these are still blockout meshes. All the assets are on the grid, ready for easy updating. Here's what we got so far.

UE015.jpg

UE014.jpg

UE016.jpg

Spent too much time figuring out where to go with this scene haha. Here is a collage of some earlier iterations.

UEprog.jpg

thanks to Matt Weathers and Jon Racine for helping with critiques and encouragement.

Also, been messing with some textures on one of my rubble pieces - not going to keep the stock substance tile.
    rubble002.jpg
  • WarrenM
    Cool, I like that treatment for the rubble. Tiles stuck to a concrete base ... neat!
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    With the final direction nailed down, can start working on the hero shot. Close up of the throne itself. Em is doing the throne, panels wing logo and other bits you can see there. I am doing the surround plane part.

PlaneNose003.jpg
  • Em.
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Been a while since I posted, after much discarded blockouts and whatnot, we're finally on track. I'm getting done with a lot of the throne elements, all sculpted and unwrapped, just have to finish baking them all out. I should be mostly done with it by the end of the weekend. Here's a WIP on the back of the chair.
    PLN_ThroneChairBackLeather001.jpg
  • Em.
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Just a quick bump. It's 3 AM again, I feel like I could pull an all-nighter, but I don't think the boss would be too happy with me giving it 30% tomorrow, y'know, cause paycheck. WIP on the throne, will be adding a weapon made of shrapnel, the captians' hat sitting on the arm, and a still smoking cigar in the ashtray on the right. Panels also need detail and grunge. Cody is working on the final front of the plane so that's blockout as well. I'll be switching gears back to architecture tomorrow night. Going slowly, but we'll finish.
    Throne_wip3.jpg
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Aww yeah. and here we have my progress on the nose section of the plane.

PlaneNose005.jpg
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Progress on the plane nose where the throne will be sitting. Some things still to be mapped, gotta sharpen up the dirt.
    PLaneNose006.jpg

Archways in progress here.
    Archways002.jpg
    Archways001.jpg
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Working on a block texture for the walls

MarbleBlock.jpg
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Also, here is a broken/rubble concrete texture working on as well.

rubbleTexture.jpg
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Now update on the metal material. Pretty proud of this one.

Metal002.jpg
  • Em.
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    This is still happening, we're going to finish this thing. We have a list of assets we're finishing out currently but here's where we're at, trying to finish up all the big pieces by the middle of next week so we can focus down on polish, lighting and props. Lots of assets to make/finish and final lighting. But, hey, here's some progress for now.
    PlanepocalypseWIP001.jpg
    PlanepocalypseWIP003.jpg
    PlanepocalypseWIP004.jpg
    PlanepocalypseWIP005.jpg
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Small update for now. Trim Pieces

Trim.jpg
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Lots of changes here. Man that was quite a weekend. Detail shots and maps later. Sleep...

PLaneThrone001.jpg

PLaneThrone002.jpg

PLaneThrone003.jpg

PLaneThrone004.jpg
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Plane work today! Broke it up more to start. Then adjusted the metal material, added paneling, logos and stripes to the fuselage.

UE4_003.jpg
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Working on some roof wreckage tonight.

roofwreckage.jpg
  • kimmokaunela
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    Well this looks really original idea. Really stands out from the rest of the entries. I hope you have the time to finish this! Good luck!
  • Em.
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks! We're going to finish, we've come this far and we're actually doing ok on getting everything done, lots going on that hasn't been added to the scene yet, or is modeled but not textured, etc. To do list is lengthy, but some highlights are finishing out the floor(more decorative tile), more throne polish, light fixtures, seating, paper debris, posters, etc. We have a lot we want to do, we just have to pick and choose and see what we can actually accomplish. We're sleep deprived, we're short on time, and we're still having fun(I am looking forward to getting more than 3 hrs of sleep and being more awake on the weekends when I hang out with my kid though). HI-FIVE THRONE ROOM CONTESTANTS, WE'RE ALMOST THERE!

Latest throne wip, added the Captain's hat and sword with which he deals out justice(I like to think he 's maybe got a little Errol Flynn obsession going on. Going to add more panel detail to the front and some travel stickers and grunge and stuff.
    Throne_wip7.jpg

Here's some WIP tile/rubble pieces, I still need to go through and break up the edges of the hole in the floor(for which a script called Fractal on script spot has been super helpful).
    tilewip1.jpg
    tilewip2.jpg
    tilewip3.jpg
    tilewip4.jpg
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Nearing the end....

Throne_001.png

Throne_002.png

Throne_003.png

Throne_004.png
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Still going! almost there holy crap

thronewip003.png

thronewip001.png

thronewip002.png
  • Em.
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Another shot of throne improvements. My desk, littered with cans of starbucks double shots and an empty water bottle speaks a testament to the battle. The desk chair which has numbed my ass more 4 am nights in this challenge to count, is my throne. Now to pass out for a few hours before work. Go team venture.
    final_throne001.jpg
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    WHOA cutting it close! haha that was fun.

Throne_Planepocalypse001.png

Throne_Planepocalypse002.png

Throne_Planepocalypse003.png

Throne_Planepocalypse005.jpg

Throne_Planepocalypse006.jpg

Throne_Planepocalypse004.png
  • ARES720
    Wow! Very amazing idea for contest!
  • Em.
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    So that happened. Woooo, hi fives all around to the finishers.
    There's more I would have liked to have done, or polished etc. but hey, we finished it. There's a lot of quick and dirty work going on that I would have liked to spend more time on. But hey, full time job and a kid. We'll probably turn this into lunch time art jam material after we've recovered from all these 5 AM nights. This is my first competition since Unearthly 09, had a butt-load o' fun!