Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crits for a Character

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
TomGT polycounter
Hey guys! I would like some feedback for a character I recently did. To sum him up he is a mix of the Incredibles, Megaman and Tokusatsu. I envisioned him as a kid-like character, sort of like Dash, Astro Boy (the anime one, not the movie) and Hiro (Big Hero 6).

He is intended for in-game use with Diffuse and Specular maps.

Beauty:
BgdoUQf.png
Construction:
uQYgFR1.png
High Poly:
DuI4XkC.png

Cheers!

Replies

• JRancourt
    Offline / Send Message
    JRancourt polycounter lvl 5
    Looks cute! You should consider mirroring you UVs since it looks like a character that is meant to be quite optimal and low poly.
  • TomGT
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    JRancourt wrote: »
    Looks cute! You should consider mirroring you UVs since it looks like a character that is meant to be quite optimal and low poly.

Thank you!

I should have probably shown the UV spreads better. But essentially everything save the body, buckle and chest pieces are mirrored. Though looking back I agree I could have probably mirrored more parts without it being noticeable. Like the hands for example.

I'm gonna add this extra image.
    RI039lP.png
  • karytsukino
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Hey TomGT! Cute character here! I like the style, he looks pretty cool! I only think that the texture looks a bit flat... You could use areas with more contrast and highlight the edges of the mechanic parts... Well, just my opinion. But Nice job at all! Keep going =D
  • TomGT
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Hey TomGT! Cute character here! I like the style, he looks pretty cool! I only think that the texture looks a bit flat... You could use areas with more contrast and highlight the edges of the mechanic parts... Well, just my opinion. But Nice job at all! Keep going =D

Thanks karytsukino! I tweaked the textures and readjusted the lighting to get some highlights in. Its already looking better now I think.

JBcCL9V.png
  • jhoythottle
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Cool character, it's a fun design. The helmet reminds me of Master Chief. I'd like to see some more material differences. Right now it looks like the armor and fabric have very similar spec/gloss properties.
  • TomGT
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Cool character, it's a fun design. The helmet reminds me of Master Chief. I'd like to see some more material differences. Right now it looks like the armor and fabric have very similar spec/gloss properties.

Thank you! Haha yeah I can see the similarities. I have only played Halo for a good few minutes here and there, something about the Chief's design must have influenced me in a way.

I'll try and tweak the speculars and see if it can help distinguish the two better.
  • Culrich234
    Offline / Send Message
    Culrich234 polycounter lvl 5
    This guy looks awesome! I really like the style and it fits the character very well. It'd be sweet to see some more poses.

My only suggestion is to maybe try to add a little bit of asymmetry. It's a bit of a personal preference, but I it when things aren't perfectly the same on both sides, adds a little bit more interest. I know adding something at this point is a real pain though, so maybe it's not worth it.

Keep up the great work though!
  • Sopcen
    Offline / Send Message
    Sopcen polycounter lvl 8
    Very nice character design; memorable and cute. Would love to see some more poses and maybe an animation
  • Torch
    Online / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey this is pretty sweet! I agree with some overall highlights to make it pop here and there could be added, you could even take a look at Kelvin Tan's Gumroad - your character kinda reminded me of his stuff :)

https://gumroad.com/turpedo
  • Harrad
    Offline / Send Message
    Harrad polycounter lvl 6
    Cool little guy, Although I my first thought was you'd redesigned master chief as well. Maybe a slightly different colour scheme would help with this.

I like the yellow being used in the helmet and chest plate, maybe bring a splash of it onto the arms or feet to really tie it altogether.

Also the background is almost the same colour as the cloth parts, he kinda blends into the background. Might be worth swapping it for something that shows the silhouette of the character more.

2nd Culrich234, on the asymmetry. Maybe an aerial sticking out his backpack, or a pouch/weapon on his belt.
  • karytsukino
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Hey TomGT! Nice job with this one! He looks very cool! I'd love to see it animated to!
  • TomGT
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Great feedback! I will probably not be able to tweak him too much since I've moved on to another character. However the critiques here are indeed very valuable for my own reference.

@culrich234: You are right that at this point its gonna be a pain to add more objects. But that said I do have unmirrored textures on certain parts. I could try and exaggerate the difference.

@Sopcen: Thanks! I will most likely add more poses for sure. Its really fun looking exaggerated superhero pose refs, especially when its a live action one.

@Torch: I was actually looking at that, will most likely watch it especially since I have not used 3Dcoat in my pipeline yet.

@Harrad:
    Haha its sort of hilarious seeing this as a kid master chief. I suspect the tone value I used for the helmet is close to what the Chief had, I'll try playing around with it. As for the asymmetry that is a great suggestion! I could easily model a pouch of sorts onto his belt.

@karytsukino: Glad you liked it!