Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Last of Infamous

Sullum97
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Sullum97 polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys! So I was working on a piece for GDC that just so happened to be a piece I am also working on for my university in San Francisco! I just have diffuse textures and completely random lighting but you guys have always given me wonderful critiques and neat tips and tricks to take my work to the next level so I hope to receive some more! Cheers and thanks in advance!
txrO7kt.jpg
f6ATF3b.jpg
OU5Vpfi.jpg
3Q1PMEE.jpg
45oTFQX.jpg
GcAF87S.jpg
Q3sAGmI.jpg

Replies

• TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    I'll speak about lighting since that's what stood out to me the most. Also is this rendered? The XYZ anchors looks like it was a screenshot taken in Maya.

Lighting feels flat in these shots though 2nd picture seems to be heading in the right direction though it needs work. Moreover the materials seem like they're lacking highlights. Though materials aside, I recommend thinking about your shots at their current camera angle instead of lighting the whole scene universally. Think about points of interests in the scene and how the lighting should reflect that. Flat lighting makes the audience confused at what to look at first.

Picture 2 for example, has an interesting contrast between major light and dark areas. It guides the eye towards the area that is most lit. You might even wanna consider adding extra lights for that specific shot just to further establish this. It might sound like cheating but even movie takes do this!

Unless you want it to be an in-game scene, in which case you should use a game engine to help light things up easier.

I get this feeling that you're using the Maya Sun and Sky, and if you are, you definitely need to tweak the lighting much more to achieve good results.

Hope this can help you improve!
  • Sullum97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey TomGT thanks so much for the critique. You nailed it spot on they're two different renders one being maya with physical sun and sky and the other being unreal with production lighting. I uploaded the Maya screenshots because I felt the lighting did a bit more justice for the piece overall so those critiquing it could get a better feel for what I was trying to accomplish. The lighting in unreal hasn't really been done except for a singular directional light from the opposing side as a fill light so I will absolutely work on tweaking this. The textures as well are just base albedo so there's no ao, normals, roughness etc but hopefully once I plug all these in they'll be to everyones liking! Thanks again for your critiques ill work on what you pointed out to make it a more cohesive piece overall! Cheers!
  • Sullum97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still need to do all my other maps besides base albedo and add some trash and others. Hopefully all in time for GDC but thought I would post an update see if I could get some more feedback! Cheers everyone!

8AmITb3.jpg
    70oFjgX.jpg
    Ht8yn93.jpg
    9RnjDNC.jpg
    UJsRNtC.jpg
    LQIeg2R.jpg
    OaRzY9E.jpg
    J3rZOsM.jpg
    oifT6Sb.jpg
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    Maybe I read it wrong but did you say you only made albedos and you're going to go back and make the normals, roughness, etc etc later? When you start a texture, see it through to completion. Make 1 and make everything that goes with it before moving on to another one. You want to be able to see how it looks when everything is plugged into the material. Maybe the albedo you made is not going to look the way you were hoping now that it has normal and specular information and are going to have to go back and keep working on it. You're just creating more work for yourself.
  • Sullum97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Swarm22 Alrighty I'll be sure to do that! You read it right i have a weird workflow but I will make sure I try yours and make sure it's much more streamlined. I appreciate the suggestion!
  • windeancs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's absolutely cool!
  • Sullum97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @windeancs Thanks buddy greatly appreciate it, still working on it to hopefully make it special!
  • Sullum97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • mhofever
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mhofever polycounter lvl 9
    Your scene lacks contrast. The first time off you were going for a sunset feel, I think that you need a strong directional light with a tint of orange and have the ambient lighting of the dark areas set to a subtle blue-ish colour to avoid blackening of shadowed areas. Have a look at references of lighting, even from your favourite films, to get an understand of how it affects the scene. If you're rendering in Maya, look into Global Illumination, it will add bounce lighting and colour bleeding into your render, which will make it look lovely.

Also, what Swarm22 said, get your normals, roughness onto your textures, right now the models don't feel like they have any material to it. Once you add these plus with the tweaked lighting, your scene will stand out more.

From what I can see from your AO images, your scene is set up nicely but lighting and materials are weak, work on those areas.
  • Sullum97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, so I have been staring at this for entirely far too long the past few weeks so your guys' critiques have been wonderful so far but I am looking for some harsh truths kind of critiques. Please tear it apart because I want to make this piece something great and I would appreciate finer eyes on this since mine are far too weary. Cheers!
    7jgsksT.jpg8NodprB.jpgqupAQrm.jpgnooi2GQ.jpgdelKUD2.jpgnOcEDZZ.jpgQOR0pMI.jpgwK3LYFZ.jpg5vpH4IW.jpgYtKkdCy.jpg
  • AngryMindtricks
    This is actually pretty well populated at the moment (one of the things i struggle with a lot tbh) however in terms of functionality and logic I'm curious about those massive cracks in the floor... my first thought was how would those cracks actually occur? There's no heavy machinery or anything of similar mass to produce those massive cracks in the road... if they were explosives or such that might have caused it perhaps it would have been a better choice to have the crack turn into a hole that goes into a bit of a underground ditch? It could even be considered as an after result of an earth quake which caused the road to unravel like that but even if that were the case the buildings around it would look too perfectly untouched compared to how the ground's been warped.

Considering The Last of Us have roads similar to this, they always have a lot of roughed up cars and tanks etc just laying around which could leave the audience to imagine how those cracks had happened.

Either way it's definitely progressing so keep going :)
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    If you are looking for hard critiques then here you go:

Conceptually its a fine idea, but it is under explored. Infamous has the DUP and concrete structures that get added onto the buildings on Seattle, which create new and interesting architecture. Last of Us has awesome decayed buildings that are slowly being taken over, broken down, and reclaimed by nature. I would give up on the Infamous stuff to be honest since it will require even more assets to pull off, and go more towards the Last of Us style which you already have a good base here for.

In terms of execution the scene looks rushed, and every asset looks rushed. You also have a problem with lack of consistency in the scale of the assets, which makes some things look distorted. Get a really simple human ref model in your scene and move him around to check scale everywhere. Slow down with what you are making, and maybe focus on getting a couple good foliage assets, and some good moss/grunge blends on your bricks.

Texturing and materials need some love. The ivy, moss, and plant life is not convincing and not integrating well with the buildings. You need to have more plant life on the street that blends smoothly into the architecture. The street, sidewalk, and concrete blocks also do not make much sense with how they are laid out and broken. Find some reference of sink holes, earthquakes, and construction in urban areas to see how a street and sidewalk would fall apart.

Out of all the shots you have this one has the best composition, and the most potential.
    CtyyQdu.jpg
    I think focusing on this one shot would benefit you a lot. Making that one shot look good is enough work as it is, the whole street block could take months of full time work. Its better to have a smaller focused scene with super high quality assets in it, than a large scale environment with clearly rushes assets. Scoping this project down would be my number one recommendation above all the others.

Hope that is some of the feedback you were looking for.
  • Sullum97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both for the excellent feedback. I agree wholeheartedly with everything stated. To touch on a few of the excellent points made the scene was rushed and sadly with no good reason. To be perfectly honest it's a semester long project that I just was so excited to get to that I just went ahead and crunched it out and to seemingly unfortunate results. One of the things I definitely need to do better is work smarter. Most of the time I grab concepts and just power them out with no thought to why they are there and it obviously shows in my work with a lack of cohesion. Also thank you for the honest opinion as well it means alot to me because it's what I needed to hear to improve. Since this project is for school and I already have a set concept I unfortunately can not change the infamous but I will definitely try to better integrate the last of us elements into the scene more, which will require long nights of studying.

In regards to the cracks in the road, it was just an idea the teacher came up with, and yet again I blindly followed with no reason as to why the road was cracked. I will try to integrate more elements that help the scene read better overall as well. Thanks again guys I really appreciate both of your wonderful feedbacks. Cheers!