Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modern Elf Girl Sculpt

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ToughSquirrel polycounter lvl 8
Hello~Second thread here, this time my female character. Same rules, start with concept design and then I proceed to modeling!

Her name is Vashti, she lives in a future not too far from ours where the third world war started. I wanted to imagine a universe where elf continued to exist among humans while technology continues to flourish but magic has dissapeared. The elf are minority now, they are trying to adapt into the human society and culture by wearing their makeup, clothing using their weapon and etc. However, they sort of stand out.

Ps. If you are interested you can check out my almost done Victorian Doctor sculpt here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2252390

Current Progress:
I end up picking the hairstyle from top left.
day%2038-39.jpg

Silhouettes, picked the one from the middle right~
day%2026.jpg

Some Color study:
day%2036.jpg

Replies

• TheodorUrhed
    Offline / Send Message
    TheodorUrhed polycounter lvl 4
    Very cool! Looking forward to seeing more.
  • ToughSquirrel
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool! Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks man!

I am back with some head sculpt and clothing base mesh stuff ;)
    Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
  • TheodorUrhed
    Offline / Send Message
    TheodorUrhed polycounter lvl 4
    I think you need to recheck the proportions of your face with what you had in the concept. For example the eyes are too close together, her mouth is too big, the chin is also too broad and too rounded. Otherwise the sculpt looks clean and nice!
  • TomGT
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Interesting concept. I look forward to how this turns out!
  • ToughSquirrel
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you need to recheck the proportions of your face with what you had in the concept. For example the eyes are too close together, her mouth is too big, the chin is also too broad and too rounded. Otherwise the sculpt looks clean and nice!

Hi Theodor, you have sharp eyes! Yes you are absolutely right about the proportions. The thing is I don't really mind the sculpt being sort of different than my concept because my sculpts are usually more anatomically correct than my drawing haha T-T However I do appreciate your critics please do keep them coming if u want.
    TomGT wrote: »
    Interesting concept. I look forward to how this turns out!
    Thanks man, please continue to look forward :D

UPDATE~:
    Gathering all the shiznits together.
    Untitled-2_1.jpg
    Rounded the face up a little bit more since it was too thin from the front.
    Untitled-1_1.jpg
    Started the clothing sculpt
    Untitled-3.jpg
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    This is looking cool so far. Love the modernization of it. I like the bottom left hairstyle, without that circlet thing around the forehead. That hair stands out to me as still having enough of an elven touch.
  • ToughSquirrel
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking cool so far. Love the modernization of it. I like the bottom left hairstyle, without that circlet thing around the forehead. That hair stands out to me as still having enough of an elven touch.
    Thank you man! :3

I'm being ultra slow btu here's some progress! Her shoes
    Untitled-2_2.jpg
  • karytsukino
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Hey! Nice job here1 Love your concept she looks pretty cute. Love your job on her boots, nice details. I'm looking foward to see more!
  • NovaaH
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
    Really impressive work on the fold. How do you do your clothes ? Pre-mesh on maya then you work on it in zbrush ?
  • ToughSquirrel
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Nice job here1 Love your concept she looks pretty cute. Love your job on her boots, nice details. I'm looking foward to see more!
    Thank you, please do keep an eye on this thread :)
    NovaaH wrote: »
    Really impressive work on the fold. How do you do your clothes ? Pre-mesh on maya then you work on it in zbrush ?

Thank you. Yes, i made a base mesh on maya and then i sculpt it in mudbox/zbrush.
    But i take a bunch of reference photos as well, it helps alot!
  • ToughSquirrel
    Offline / Send Message
    Update time~~~~ god i need to speed up! O_O its due in a month and a half and GODAMMM am slow. MUST STAY CALM O_O_O_O_O_O_O_O_O_O_O_O! T-T yep
    Untitled-1_2.jpg
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Looks great so far!
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Really good progress so far.
  • Isunoj
    Offline / Send Message
    Isunoj polycounter lvl 10
    Nice work. Very clean model.
  • Filcomet
    Offline / Send Message
    Filcomet polycounter lvl 11
    The jacket looks pretty cool!
  • ToughSquirrel
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot guys !
    I know i haven't updated in a while but i am still working days and night on this. Had problems with normal map and i went to learn a bit of marmoset toolbag.
    Anyway, here's some result of my test.

Don't giveup on me yet q.q
    screenshot004.png
    screenshot005.png
  • bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Wow, nice progress! That face texture looks excellent, how did you get that result? It looks phenomenal.

One thing I hope you plan to do is render out hairs for the brows and lashes
  • kimmokaunela
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    Looking really good! Keep it up!
  • Chantel-sky
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    Really cool, I love the boots and jacket oh and the skin tone :)
  • ToughSquirrel
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys xD. The face texture is just a photo projection.
    I am back with more picture after fiddling around in marmoset abit more.
    Here's two lighting that i came up with.
    Personally i liked the flat one better but quite a few friends says they like the dramatic lighting more. I am not sure which one to pick, what do you guys think is better?
    screenshot023.png
    screenshot028.png
  • TomGT
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Gorgeous.

I think the first picture has better composition, and is probably why I'm drawn to it. Though I do like the contrast on the second picture. Maybe do a comparison where the composition is the same?

Personally I'd go with a dramatic light setup like the second picture, though for your character I would tone down the red rim light, since that combined with the blue adds strong colors to your pallette. Maybe a subtle yellow/orange street lamp-like light, on a blue night lighting would work instead? I imagined this character strolling in the streets at night when I saw her concept.

Keep up the great work!
  • ToughSquirrel
    Offline / Send Message
    Gorgeous.

I think the first picture has better composition, and is probably why I'm drawn to it. Though I do like the contrast on the second picture. Maybe do a comparison where the composition is the same?

Personally I'd go with a dramatic light setup like the second picture, though for your character I would tone down the red rim light, since that combined with the blue adds strong colors to your pallette. Maybe a subtle yellow/orange street lamp-like light, on a blue night lighting would work instead? I imagined this character strolling in the streets at night when I saw her concept.

Keep up the great work!
    Hey Tom, thanks for the advice, i will give it a try tomorrow!
    Meanwhile here's some highpoly render im trying to make xP
    ZBrush%20Document.jpg
  • Anthricus
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthricus polycounter lvl 5
    What was your workflow on the clothing? ( any specific brushes for the folds?) The final sculpted pieces look excellent!

The only critique I would have is that the expression on the face looks a little too blank for the final pose.

Do you have any plans to change up the facial pose?
  • Kaine123
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    Wait is she going to be wearing leggings with the rips in them like the concept?
  • TomGT
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    High poly looks great! Did you use Rosamund Pike as a reference for her face? I only just realized after watching a movie she was in. Its not a complete likeness but she is definitely there in your lighting renders. Her current expression is very much like the actresses' usual demeanor too. No wonder I was so intrigued by it.

Look her up if you haven't (I'd be really surprised). You might also want to check out images of her in Wrath of the Titans, since I think she used a bow there. Might just inspire you in terms of facial expressions, especially if you haven't used her in your references.

I'm quite excited to see the final outcome.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    This is lovely!
  • ToughSquirrel
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthricus wrote: »
    What was your workflow on the clothing? ( any specific brushes for the folds?) The final sculpted pieces look excellent!

The only critique I would have is that the expression on the face looks a little too blank for the final pose.

Do you have any plans to change up the facial pose?

Hey Anthricus, The clothing is just the mudbox default sculpt brush+the 8th threshold. I make low poly and sculpt on top of it. I tried to move the face a lil bit inside photoshop hopefully its less blank xD
    Kaine123 wrote: »
    Wait is she going to be wearing leggings with the rips in them like the concept?
    She definitly need those leggings, but presently i don't have time to make it because it need to show to public on wedsday Q-Q.
    High poly looks great! Did you use Rosamund Pike as a reference for her face? I only just realized after watching a movie she was in. Its not a complete likeness but she is definitely there in your lighting renders. Her current expression is very much like the actresses' usual demeanor too. No wonder I was so intrigued by it.

Look her up if you haven't (I'd be really surprised). You might also want to check out images of her in Wrath of the Titans, since I think she used a bow there. Might just inspire you in terms of facial expressions, especially if you haven't used her in your references.

I'm quite excited to see the final outcome.
    Hi Tom. I checked the actress out and theres really resemblance! But the person i used was liv tyler. And I tried out the street lighting u talked about earlier in the reply. Check it out :D
    Muzz wrote: »
    This is lovely!
    Thank you!!

Where here is update on the background. I need to choose 1 between these 2 ToT What do u guys prefer?
    elf.jpg
    final.png
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Great work!
    She looks cross eyed though.
  • TomGT
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Ah! Liv Tyler. Should have figured, with the elf ears and all.

Nice rim light, really liking these renders. I'd go with the first one because it has less big shapes in the background, and the subtle yellow light is just right. I can go with either one though. Great work.

Good luck with the presentation on Wednesday.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    The texturing and hair is looking real good. I agree that she is either a tad cross eyed or her eyes are a bit too close together.
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Offline / Send Message
    kay-vonlanthen polycounter lvl 7
    whats the status on her? : )  (art station link maybe)