Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio criticisms

Hello,

my name is Vladimir Obuchoff and i am currently a student at SAE Institute in Koeln, Germany.

I created my portfolio and would like to know what you think about it.

Any critics, suggestions are welcome :)

You can find my portfolio here: http://www.vladimirobuchoff.byethost31.com/index.html

Kind regards
Vladimir Obuchoff

Replies

• xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 10
    My first thought seeing the first page was that none of you models were textured. You should turn off the grey/hover off, I also suggest adding some more grunge/dirtiness to your textures, a lot of it looks really clean
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    rpg_01.jpg

The texturing could be improved on this. You should be studying PBR http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/PBR

Also, maybe I'm totally wrong here. But, should you really include a tutorial piece in your portfolio.

The rendering on everything you do seems weird. For example,
    church_LowPoly_test_01.jpg
    No offense, but why include this. You have mostly props but you include this. It looks weirdly textured.

Also, the choice of stuff is a bit weird. Its like you add random stuff you did, then decided to add a bunch of boring crap at the bottom to pad out your portfolio.

Nobody is going to be impressed with a roadworks I.e. a sign, electric box, wood barrel and a metallic barrel so why add these.
    barrel_wood_01.jpg
    There is no reason to have the above in your portfolio.
    - The crates and barrels & bare blacksmith's tables have been done a million times before, and worse, gives employers an opportunity to compare you directly to other applicants who also have those.
    And their stuff could look like this:
    http://orbart.free.fr/Gallery/Images/crate.jpg
    So it's better to do something original.
    This is the advice from BagelHero from another thread you should take it.
  • Nopik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you! it helps me a lot.

about to turn on/off gray/hover of preview pictures was an intentionally idea. I just thought i let people to interact with it and urge them to click on the picture for more details.

about the choise of stuff. It is all what i have done till now. Actually i did not want to add any tutorial stuff but to my point of view the RPG Launcher looks good in UE4. So i decided to show it of course except high-poly modelling that i have done by following the tutorial.
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    @nopik Your work seems a bit schizophrenic. You say you want to do environmental art, but there is only one which is the second weakest piece.

Do you want to do environments, do them? do you want to do vehicles? do you want to do prop art?

It looks like you just want to do random stuff.

Also, take the tutorial piece out. Any idiot can follow a tutorial. Why can't you do a more complex weapon using what you learnt from the tutorial, but I guess copying is easier. Also, it makes me think is the car from a tutorial, what about that tractor.
  • AngryMindtricks
    Definitely take the criticism on board from the last two posts. Keep your head up and tackle each project at a time with a little more intricacy. We've all been there or would have been there under lack of guidance but the main thing is you've gotten some good feedback now and keep pushing it :) The tutorial stuff, rather learn the techniques used than learning how to build the asset so exact measurements as learning the techniques are what make you flexible to anything as learning how to draw super mario 100 times a day in one pose will only amount to another super mario piece in the same pose again... Always make sure you have a strong concept to work on before you work on it as well because if you model/texture and render something that's incredibly generic it's only going to look incredibly generic no matter how many passes you do on it. Keep going, best of luck!
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    This is more of a critique for your website and not your work itself, the other's have covered that nicely.

I agree with the grey images on the index page, threw me off a little.
    Also try make all your images uniform, you have a few different image sizes on the same page.
    Also look into making your website responsive, some images where clipping on 1280 x 800
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not liking your font. I found them distracting and annoying. Consider using cleaner font, san serif, keep them small and out of the way. Or remove them entirely.

Example
    https://grassetti.wordpress.com/
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    for artwork. best thing to do is go on linkedin, find the artist/company you want to work for and see what they made for there portfolio and how the website is setup. take notes and follow there lead.
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    for refuge student game project, change the main image you click on to look at it. it doesn't do justice to the amount of work you put into it on the actual page. I almost didn't click on it because all I saw was a cartoon of a blond kid with what looks like a pokemon. The level design is really good to show.

take out the church, grenade, electrical box, and ground texture. what you should show as an environmental or prop artist are environments big or small. don't show an electrical box, show an environment with an electrical box. don't show a grenade, show an armoury with a grenade in it. when I see a portfolio, if I just see an individual items for anyone but character artists, I don't even click on it.
  • Nopik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you a lot.

as i see from your comments i have to do a lot of changes to my portfolio and workflow generally. :)

omw to do my best...