Home Featured Artwork

Josh Lynch Substance Designer Sketchbook

Replies

• josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    slosh - The environments and materials from The Order are incredible.

PogoP - I typically use the random mask from a tile generator. Been doing something different on this material that I will cover sometime soon.

NicolasW and myself are doing a friendly experiment with sloppy bricks in Substance Designer. You can check out his on his thread :).

Grunge, salt, gloss tweaked, displacement added, cracks tweaked.

Wall_Brick_Sloppy_01_Cube_Rev_05_Layout_Comp_Josh_Lynch.png

Wall_Brick_Sloppy_01_Cylinder_Rev_05_Layout_Comp_Josh_Lynch.png
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Lighting and slight material tweaks. Displacement pushed.

Wall_Brick_Sloppy_01_Cube_Rev_06_Layout_Comp_Josh_Lynch.png

Wall_Brick_Sloppy_01_Cylinder_Rev_06_Layout_Comp_Josh_Lynch.png

joshua-lynch-wall-brick-sloppy-01-flats-josh-lynch.jpg?1425542875
  • aelwine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aelwine polycounter lvl 6
    really nice, I love all the small details here and there, it feels very natural.
  • Special KBS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Special KBS polycounter lvl 3
    Fantastic work, you have a real knack for making substance textures look sculpted and non-procedural!
  • aelwine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BTW, I really like how the grout is sticking out
  • JuddRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JuddRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Looks Great Josh, Love the grout in there and the way it looks on the top and bottom of the cylinder looks awesome. Like the brighter lighting as well man.
  • N83ds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks so good with the displacement pumped up. Great job!
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    aelwine - Thank you! I am glad you like the grout, small details, and that it feels natural to you :-)

Special KBS - Thanks! Thats my goal every time is to make it not look procedural.

JuddRoy - Happy you like the grout and the improved lighting, thanks!

N83ds - Yeh it needed to get pumped up a bit more, glad you like it!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Damn that's lovely Josh.
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    teaandcigarettes - Thank you! I really like your foliage tutorial :poly121:

Started a new material inspired by some sidewalks I have seen.

Focusing on normal/height map right now.

Floor_Cobblestone_Herringbone_Cube_Rev_01_Layout_Comp_Josh_Lynch.png

Floor_Cobblestone_Herringbone_Cylinder_Rev_01_Layout_Comp_Josh_Lynch.png
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
  • aelwine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking great so far
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    Can you please show how you achieve hight definition in substance?
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Supernice stuff here man!
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Great work here man!
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Thanks for all the kind words! Glad you are digging it :)

IlyaIvanovArt - I plan on showing a few things soon!

Materials and color pass.

Floor_Cobblestone_Herringbone_Cube_Rev_03_Layout_Comp_Josh_Lynch.png

Floor_Cobblestone_Herringbone_Cylinder_Rev_03_Layout_Comp_Josh_Lynch.png
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Nice progress dude!

I like that you added twigs/needles in your texture! Connects it more with the world. I think that you should try to get more variety though, like adding cigarette butts, pebbles (all the way from dust to walnut size), different kinds of twigs, random very small litter(?). You get my point.. If possible it would be really cool to get them to lay in between the bricks in the same direction as the brick. Physics, that's where shit like that gather up... Weeds?

Looking forward to more! Really inspiring stuff!
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    sltrOlsson - Thanks for your comments and feedback! I am currently in the process of working in more detail into the recessed areas. That was one of my goals for this material was to try to push the area in between each brick to look more realistic and have a natural buildup to the details there. Variety of pebble size and color, cig butts, twigs, etc. I will be posting an update soon! Thanks! :)
  • Darkoxen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkoxen polycounter lvl 4
    WOW! you guys are pretty professional on use substance designer.

And is that all normal generated by designer?
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    superb work Josh, u know. I already gave my feedback through skype, but man, ur doing so well. Thanks for sharing your awesomeness.
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    Astounding work as always :) How much control do you have for the pattern of the brick?

Keep it up!
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Darkoxen - Yeh all of this is within Substance Designer :poly124:

bugo - Thanks means a lot coming from you!

luthyn - Right now the set up is controlled through 2 passes. The top and bottom I am able to control those bricks easily as well as the middle can be updated also and everything else follows suit.

I ripped out the old color scheme and went with something new. Updated cracks. Added debris, pebbles, twigs, grass, gum, dirt, dust, salt, etc.

Floor_Cobblestone_Herringbone_Cube_Rev_04_Layout_Comp_Josh_Lynch.png

Floor_Cobblestone_Herringbone_Cylinder_Rev_04_Layout_Comp_Josh_Lynch.png
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    That is a massive improvment over the first colour scheme. Love the details you added!
  • wpetrosky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wpetrosky polycounter lvl 6
    Excellent work Josh, always impressed.
  • JuddRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great Josh!! Wow, is that a cigarette but in the grout area?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yer killin it Lynch!
    I'd like to see something other than bricks or tiles now pls. Some kind of more complex texture that incorporates more material types with wear and environmental stuff (stains, water, etc) and such that integrate across the piece.
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    ScoobyDoofus - Thanks! I will def keep that in mind for my next material.

JuddRoy - Thx Judd yeh there are a few of them in there :).

wpetrosky - Thanks! :poly121:.

urgaffel - Appreciate that! Glad you like the changes and details :).

Final material pass. Reduced noise for more eye rest. Reduced contrast and slightly brightened bricks. Pushed gloss subtly for more variation.

Floor_Cobblestone_Herringbone_Ground_Rev_05_Layout_Comp_Josh_Lynch.png

Floor_Cobblestone_Herringbone_Cylinder_Rev_05_Layout_Comp_Josh_Lynch.png

Floor_Cobblestone_Herringbone_Cube_Rev_05_Layout_Comp_Josh_Lynch.png
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    NAILED IT! What you gonna do next? I'm very exсited)
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Those look amazing! I love the small stones on top of the bricks.
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    I see you have already finished, but maybe you will take a final suggestion anyway.

Yesterday I noticed we have a similiar pattern on our pavement where I live. Only a slight difference. The top and bottom of the pattern are marked off with bigger triangles. I made a quick clone stamp paintover to show you what I mean:

po.jpg
  • ArtbyV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtbyV polycounter lvl 8
    Just getting into Substance and your work is really inspiring. How are you getting the grout to stick out so much on the sloppy brick texture? It's a pure texture with no geo, right?
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    Lord have mercy on my eyes!
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    ArtbyV wrote: »
    Just getting into Substance and your work is really inspiring. How are you getting the grout to stick out so much on the sloppy brick texture? It's a pure texture with no geo, right?

Marmoset + Heightmap + Tesselation

Josh, these are inspiring as always. Thanks for sharing!
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    Amazing as always :)
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Wow thanks for all the kind words! Glad you like how it turned out :)

IlyaIvanovArt - I am not sure what to do next, still thinking on that, any suggestions/ideas? I am open to them.

SanderDL - Thats really interesting! If I make something similar in the future I will remember that.

ArtbyV - What Quack! said. I export my heightmap from SD and plug that in into Marmoset and turn on tesselation. Your making the heightmap in SD as your creating so may as well put it to use :-).
  • QuantumTheory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    QuantumTheory polycounter lvl 6
    Inspiring work!

Would you mind posting some of the albedos? I'd love to examine how color is being applied as you're constructing the nodes.

Also, I noticed the linear scrape pattern on the bricks. The visibility is varied per brick, but the interesting thing is that the pattern is aligned with the brick rotation. What method was used to achieve that?
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    QuantumTheory - Apologies for the delay. I sampled the rotated bricks and used that as a mask against the scrape marks.

Been a long time since I posted. Excited to be making something new. In an effort to focus on more organic materials I have started a new dirt & pebbles material.

Its still early on yet in a lot of ways. Just laying in the major areas of the texture trying to get the foundations established.

Look forward to any comments critiques you have!

Ground_Dirt_Pebbles_Cylinder_Rev_01_Layout_Comp_Josh_Lynch.png
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    are you using bakes from zbrush or anything to get those pebbles or is this pure substance designer noise generators etc?
  • Bruno Afonseca
    That's a great start! I'd personally make the pebbles less noisy and with rounder edges. Some of the small pebbles have really odd shapes, I'd keep them simpler and rounder.
  • fullchaos13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fullchaos13 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey man, loving the new texture, as someone who's just getting into substance your stuff is really inspiring. Can you quickly explain how you went about making the large rocks/pebbles in your new texture. Primarily how did you go about creating the shape of it.
  • JuddRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Def a good start and would be curious if you are using your own technique to get the rocks. Really awesome Josh, your substance stuff is great!
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Nice rock generator Josh, I really like the amount of detail on it, I'd still like to see some wavyness or more terrain to the dirt, like not being too flat. Keep it coming!
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Looks awesome Josh :) Agree with Bugo more waviness depth to the dirt will add a lot.

For procedural rocks look at this tutorial this explains how to do procedural rocks.

https://vimeo.com/110562020

This tut goes through on how to merge heights together non destructively and general basic tips. One amendment from this tutorial now Overlay is part of the blend properties so no need to use the old overlay node.

https://vimeo.com/109411766

Excuse the horrible texture I make at the end this tuts were not really to show something amazing more so a workflow tut of how to make this sort of textures or generators.
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Ged - Everything was created in Substance Designer. No ZBRush, Photosource, Photoshop, or nDo.

Bruno Afonseca - Thanks for the feedback! When I do my next pass I will keep that in mind.

fullchaos13 - I can put a tutorial together soon. In the mean time check out Rogelios videos for inspiration and also NicolasW and the Substance's he has shared.

JuddRoy - Thanks dude! I can put something together soon on how I made the pebbles.

bugo - Thanks Hugo! I will add some waviness on my next pass.

Shinigami - Rogelio's videos are great.

rogelio - Thanks Rogelio, waviness will be added! :-) The tutorials you made are very helpful and show some great workflows. Anyone learning should def check them out.

In the end I used a different method to create the rocks/pebbles than Rogelio covers. I will share this method soon.

Thanks again for the comments, will update soon!
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    beefaroni wrote: »
    I agree with this. I would add interactive and fun to liberating. I have a bunch of materials that I can easily adjust sliders of to alter the final render in real time. Edge needs to be a bit wider for edge wear? Hmm, lemme try blurring this map. No clicking and waiting for DDO to save maps and update, it's more or less instant, which is a ton of fun.

I think the main problem that I have seen is that people are scared by the crazy technical parts of the software. For the time being, I've completely ignored all of that tech-y stuff and just use the nodes provided. I also bring in a decent amount of outside maps to plug in.

Anyways, back on topic. that first substance looks great. Are you doing everything inside of substance designer, or are you bringing in outside maps?

I used to hate texturing. It felt like a chore to me. Now that i've been using SD, it's my favorite part of the creation process.
  • fullchaos13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fullchaos13 polycounter lvl 6
    rogelio wrote: »
    Looks awesome Josh :) Agree with Bugo more waviness depth to the dirt will add a lot.

For procedural rocks look at this tutorial this explains how to do procedural rocks.

https://vimeo.com/110562020

This tut goes through on how to merge heights together non destructively and general basic tips. One amendment from this tutorial now Overlay is part of the blend properties so no need to use the old overlay node.

https://vimeo.com/109411766

Excuse the horrible texture I make at the end this tuts were not really to show something amazing more so a workflow tut of how to make this sort of textures or generators.

Thanks rogelio this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I just got off work so I'm definitely gonna take some time off and go through all the stuff on your channel.

@Josh, alright man you promised, I'm definitely going to be waiting on that tutorial now :)! Haha I'm sort of a tutorial junkie, I love seeing the different methods people apply to create awesome art, especially when it comes to substance designer, it's and incredibly powerful tool with not enough learning resources out there :(.
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Thanks again for the feedback. I have worked on the dirt a lot to give it more personality and not look so planar, more undulation now. Also worked on the pebbles size and variety.

Ground_Dirt_Pebbles_Cylinder_Rev_04_Layout_Comp_Josh_Lynch.png
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Full material pass. Added some debris. Tweaked the rocks just a bit. Softened up the scratches to look softer.

Ground_Dirt_Pebbles_Cylinder_Rev_07_Layout_Comp_Josh_Lynch.jpg
  • Raane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raane polycounter lvl 3