Home General Discussion

the value of contest entires in a portfolio

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
confracto polycounter lvl 11
hi,

I was curious if anyone has any idea whether contest entries hold any value in a portfolio beyond their artistic merits? Do people who review them appreciate that it's done with restrictions and on a deadline? Are they worth keeping in a portfolio for that even if you think it's a slightly weaker piece?

Replies

• Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    confracto wrote: »
    hi,

I was curious if anyone has any idea whether contest entries hold any value in a portfolio beyond their artistic merits? Do people who review them appreciate that it's done with restrictions and on a deadline? Are they worth keeping in a portfolio for that even if you think it's a slightly weaker piece?

not realy, contests mostly have rather loose deadlines so that anyone can enter, BUT it might be worth for recognition sake.

if someone sees a piece in your portfolio that caught his eye before, thats a plus.

but if its weaker then the rest of your stuff its probably not worth keeping it in your folio.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Big competitions that are widely recognized couldn't hurt. Hopefully you don't have to rush to finish it in time. If it looks good, use it anyway.

Gonna do the same with my Entry for Comicon 2015.

Ps. +1 for Temple Knight & Dragoner.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Its probably just a case by case basis. Depends a lot on the restrictions of the contest, and how much weaker it is than the rest of the portfolio.

If you want to share feel free, we might be able to give more accurate advice. If not, my opinion would be not to include it if it that much weaker than the rest of your portfolio.
  • EarthQuake
    I think you're over-thinking it. The primary concern should be is the work good? If its not as good as the rest of the work in your portfolio, you shouldn't include it. Nobody reviewing your portfolio will put much stock into if it was for a contest or what your motivations were or anything like that, all they care about is:
    Is it good?
    Is it efficient?
    Can you fit in with our team/art style/etc?
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Is it good?

I think it more or less boils down to this..
  • confracto
    Offline / Send Message
    confracto polycounter lvl 11
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Just don't put an Arena Net contest entry in your portfolio, I've seen those projects too many times, I don't even look at those threads anymore.