Home Technical Talk

Smoothing Preview (3) Technique In Maya & Games

Talix
null
Offline / Send Message
Talix null
Hi there,

So I've been subscribed to Digital Tutors for a while and have been going through many of the learning paths picking up knowledge on what I can. Through the Modelling tutorials they tend to emphasize a lot on the smoothing preview (hitting 3 on on the keyboard) technique for modelling.

Teaching you to plan to use this technique through modelling and adding edge loops where necessary to sharpen specific edges.

Is this technique valid for Games?

like will the model still retain the smooth preview when exported into something like the unreal engine 4 or is this technique more valid for 3d modelling outside of games? since I haven't really seen this technique used when watching other 3d modelling for games tutorials elsewhere.

Thanks for any heads up info on this in advance.

Replies

• Dklang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got a related question, if someone isnt sculpting and only uses 3d max or maya, can he end up with a model like this: http://i.imgur.com/4LSZp8g.jpg and is that kind of high poly desirable for game engines?
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    No, the way to retain edge smoothness is by baking down the high poly (that you get by smooth preview) information to the low poly, or create bevels on the low poly edges, but the low poly shouldn't have any geometry that doesn't contribute to silhouette or shading
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    before exporting you will have to go to mesh/ smooth for it to retain its smoothness outside of maya. the preview is so you can see what the high poly will look like without making it impossible to work with.

You will then have to make a low res model and bake the high res detail into a normal map for a game ready model. the tutorials on digital tutors cover this. specifically one on an assault rifle
  • jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Dklang if you're asking if it's possible to achieve something like that with only max or maya, the answer is yes. If you're asking if it's okay to put that high poly into a game engine, the answer is no, as huffer explained.
  • Dklang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so what steps am i supposed to take to get a model like that made and in the game? I usually find myself with 8000 faces for say a vehicle which is low poly i guess but lets say i want a really detailed vehicle. its easier to model the details than to texture. lets use this weapon as an example: http://i.imgur.com/gpKwsap.jpg
    how do i get those cool details? and what parts should i model?