Home General Discussion

Monster Hunter 4

Replies

• glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpsXwNXrItE

new trailer... saying its out here early 2015.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Awesome trailer! They keep hinting at once of the new weapons - that staff/spear thing, but what is the other new one? Apparently there are two new weapons?

related:
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/5/5782736/monster-hunter-freedom-unite-ios
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    whoa cool! read about that insect glaive... holy CRAP that sounds fun!

I'm not sure how playable it'll be heh. The video there demos the features, seems kinda ok? Feel like selecting menu items will be a pain. May be rough on iPhone, but could be good on newer iPads?
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    MH4 with global play. Im in :)
  • moose
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Damnnnnnnnnn that looks badass!!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I haven't bothered with handheld in a long time.....this looks pretty slick though :O
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This one is really tempting. With no WiiU version of MH4, they might force my hand to get a new 3ds. Which i don't want to do.

Why can't this game just release on wiiU, or vita?
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    well you can get a 2DS, that thing is pretty cheap.

will it release in EU in february too?
    cause im thinking about buying a wiiu for MH3
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Im ready to fuck some beasts up tonight. Let's get to it!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I have never played a monster hunter before you guys have a recommendation on which on i should get?
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    agreed, start with 3U or 4U. You can always go back and play older ones, tbh they don't change their formula from title to title, just add some monsters, a weapon class maybe, more difficulties. The newer ones (3U and assume 4U) do a better job with clarity of interaction objects, and quality of life improvements (don't have to equip pickaxes like in Freedom Unite), added extra fun stuff to weapons.

just be sure to play the demo and experiment with the weapons to find one or two you really like! When i first got freedom unite, i had no idea about other weapons and only used Greatsword, and hated it :) fell in love after finding the longsword and dualswords!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    That's 2 consoles/handheld that I would buy just to be able to play one game on each - 3DS for MH (did the same with a Wii U, just for MH,) and XB1 for Sunset OD. Dammit :nerd:

EDIT: How are you guys finding the 3DS XL? Would love to pick one up at some point.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Been playing a shitload of MH4, it is fantastic. The new 3ds is really great, the camera control by the new c-stick is awesome.

They've made a lot of additions and improvements to MH4, a lot more end game type stuff with the leveling/sharing of Guild quests, Apex monsters, and what looks like a much more robust G level rankings! I am almost G, so close! 25min Kushala solo was fun, couldn't get anyone to run the quest... everyone would leave when I'd post it.

MP is fun but weird. nearly all games i post, someone enters, grabs their Urgent regardless of what quest is posted and demand it be done. Also, it's like pulling teeth to get people to share their guild cards before you start quests... so annoying.

Loving it, the Insect Glaive is totally badass, super agile weapon.

Anyone else playing?
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    bought that monhan 3ds the day it released here in back to the future-land

been playing a ton, around 7* village quests and soloed myself to HR3

this is the first english monhan I'm playing (previous was 2g and 3g on the glorious psp)
    the puns and characters hold up I think..
    and the 3ds is sick for this game, the c-stick and the bottom screen..

but then I imported tadashiku kanji wo kakitori kun and monhan has taken a backseat :P
    still, those two games are why I bought a 3ds (and riiiiiiidge racer) and those are the games I'll be playing on this crap system that has no other games :)
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Game is great. :) love the verticality now.
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    Damn, can't they just settle for a system, at this rate I'll have to get them all >.<

I'm having a hard time justifying a handheld at this point, but daaamn, looks so good! And monster hunter online seems to be far off ^^
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, can't they just settle for a system, at this rate I'll have to get them all >.<

I'm having a hard time justifying a handheld at this point, but daaamn, looks so good! And monster hunter online seems to be far off ^^

I really didn't want to get a 3ds. MH4 forced my hand. Played it a bunch, but now i am stuck playing Fantasy Life haha.

Great system the New 3DS. I have been enjoying it.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    They did releases the MHO benchmark in english recently.

That's promising... right?
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I've heard the gameplay has translated pretty poorly in MHO, people have said the feel of the weapons doesn't match at all what previous games have been.

But damn if I still don't want it.
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MHO is so pretty though! O.O

Gaaaah, the thing is I never play on handheld. I've got my PS4, PC and Wii U so getting a handheld for sitting on the couch with seems so hard to justify. Yet I'm soooo close to just take the leap, haha xD
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    MHO is so pretty though! O.O

Gaaaah, the thing is I never play on handheld. I've got my PS4, PC and Wii U so getting a handheld for sitting on the couch with seems so hard to justify. Yet I'm soooo close to just take the leap, haha xD

i had that same thought, but now i dont regret it at all, its pretty handy to be able to play it during trainrides or flights, and the 2ds only costs 100 bucks.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator

That is my exact setup! XD
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Fuck the Couch! I play in bed! Or outside! :)

Got the G1 Permit last night. The game has been very rewarding. Ukanlos solo was long and stressful, should have done it with other people... but was worth it!
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha, I'm so easily swayed :D Now the question is really.. 2ds or new 3ds. There are some games on the 3ds that I feel I've missed out on, like Fire Emblem : Awakening and Zelda : A link between worlds, so it would be cool to pick those up aswell.

new 3ds looks great with the nipple thingy, but the 2ds is cheap. Tough call =P

And oh yeah, the new 3ds doesn't come with a charger? And do you still need memory cards for handhelds? Wow, I'm so clueless ^^

Aaaand how does the multiplayer work? :S
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I don't play monster hunter with 3d on, but play Fire Emblem, Bravely Default (highly recommend!!!!), Mario in 3d. If you're aiming for Monster hunter, definitely need the camera nipple - camera control is a must! I was able to use my old 3ds charger with the new one.

MP is 4 player coop vs big bad thing, only requires WiFi. You can bring items to heal the group, use a gun/bow with heal arrows to heal party members, or just coop beat the shit out of dragons. With the new aerial attacks, Great Sword up-swings aren't annoying anymore (they send people flying through the air)! The group does share the same continue pool tho, so 3 deaths by anyone = quest failed. The game is split into two areas - Caravan, and Gathering Hall. Caravan is single player only, you progress through the hunts, get stuff fight awesome things. Gathering Hall is where the MP quests are and how you rank up - and you can play it solo or online. You can create a room, people join, post or join a quest, and go on a mission (4 people per Hall and quest). You exchange guild cards with people to earn a stat called Unity. Getting into MP on the 3ds is seamless, just switch your online presence to "online," you can either create or join a room, and go kill things - and leave as you want.
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks moose! I'm shudder when I think of the old PSP ad-hoc days xD I like the sound of seamless online play!

Cool! I'll pick this up whenever possible. The monster hunter bundle seems to be sold out all over the place so I'll have to settle for buying them separatly. A charger doesn't seem that expensive..

I just watched a bunch of videos on the new weapon types :O Holy shit they look so awesome. I had no idea of the vertical features now, that's super fricken cool!

Super excited!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    hahah yeah, its essentially the same, except 10000000x more convenient! You just browse games across the sea of inter-tubes and hop in one that has slots!

Only drawback is its tricky to see if people are on a quest or not, have joined a lot of games that looked like they were prepping, but by the time I loaded in they were on the quest. Have to either wait or find another game. Have also found sometimes randoms will hop in and post a quest without seeing there was already one posted; and never join the posted quest. May just be a lower rank, playing with randoms thing.

Disconnects aren't an issue either, if a person dc's they're removed from the game, so no fear of unnecessary deaths.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any clues on how to eat faster? decorations right?
    which decoration, how many?

I've tried rec speed or something and gluttony I think, just mash as many as I can into all the slots and holes on my character and I'm still slow as always when eating

placing traps and bombs like a champ with my gundam armor though... just wish I'd drink potions a bit faster as well...

you know that feel, when you run off to take a drink and the monster turns around.. facing you............ making the drinking totally useless
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    You'll want the Eating skill, with skills at +10 and +15. Press start when forging deocrations to see the skill name instead of gem name! I only see 1 slot or 3 slot versions, that give +1 or +4 on the 3 slot. There are a few armors that have the eating skill too!

Gluttony gives you more stam per food/ration iirc, Rec Speed increases the speed your health regens the red portion when hit.

You can also use Energy Drinks to increase your stamina, which are the same time as a potion or ration. Figuring out when to potion is part of the challenge in this game haha. I fucking hate getting out of rhythm, where ever potion is a 0.25second too late making me get hit, stunned, and cart'ed :)
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eating skill eh! I'll check it out, thanks!

I also play this mostly in bed - as mentioned earlier :D

grinding 7* for some spider U armor..whatever it's name was.. the gundam one :P
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moose... we should play sometime.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    yeah im down!

lets all share friendcodes!

2423-5151-3069
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mine

1135 0289 9472

EDIT: i added you guys already.
  • SpaceRogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    Waaaaaaait a second, I'm seeing Monster Hunter, and computer in the same paragraph ... I might actually be able to play one for once,it looks amazing wow.
    Well I do have MH3 but the awful controls pretty much ruin the game for me.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    chiniara wrote: »
    But yeah, with CPP or new 3ds its near perfection :poly124:

if "near perfection" means god damn nightmarish and awefull i gues you are right.

the only way i can justify those horrible controlls is that the developers must have gone underground to live in an atomic bunker 15 years ago and haven't played any videogames that have been released after that.

don't get me wrong i like monster hunter very much, but i think the only thing that is holding this series back in the west are the controlls that have not been updated in 10 years.
  • SpaceRogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    chiniara wrote: »
    Why fix what is not broken? If the controls were HORRIBLE and NIGHTMARISH nobody would play it, right ?

:/

I know more than one person who thinks the controls are downright terrible and should be revisited mind you. Its not because you don't know them, that they are not there.

But I digress, noting to do about it other then not buy it this time around, this isn't something I even want to argue about as its pretty pointless.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy wrote: »
    holding this series back in the west

fuck the western audience...
    there, solved it
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I did not like Freedom Unite at all when i first got it. It wasn't until i learned about the other weapons that I started really enjoying it. Took a lot of personal effort to break my expectations of what I thought it was, and learn what it is really all about - timing, pacing, planning, and slow, deliberate strategy.

Although different, it has a lot of subtlety in tactics, timing, and when you master countering enemy movement to get attacks in, the game flows beautifully.

The additions they've made to the series since 2 have vastly improved the game, simple things from button prompts over interactable objects, to more major things like monster-camera-lock-on. The new monsters added in 3rd took animation, complexity, and timing to a whole new level, and that continues in 4 (you can see the age in some of the 2nd Gen monsters that return in 4).

I understand the sentiments of not liking it, I didn't like it either. Can only suggest trying it again with an open mind aimed at learning what the game is giving you, and not expecting something the game is not. One day I just "got it," and I was hooked, maybe the same can happen to others! If not, its all good, play other games, there are many games out there!