Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized Character - Asajj Ventress - Clone Wars

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
nevermind polycounter lvl 10
Heya guys...
no longer a student so trying to expand my portfolio from my fellow classmates. I did the robot dude from creaturebox over the past week ish, but my heart truly lies in stylized characters - so I'm going with some Clone Wars inspiration and modeling out Assaj Ventress.

Here's my reference:

olMpd6N.png
X2XudnZ.jpg
88clDK2.jpg
5jsBNWc.jpg
PsnHR4H.jpg
oxY4o8b.jpg

Going for a more cel shaded look, but using some of the reference for costume and anatomy reference.

Replies

• nevermind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here's my progress after the night of blocking out a base model... going for mobile or a little higher resolution:

8eDrnj5.png
  • nevermind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got my low poly body looking about how I want - starting UVs and base texture tomorrow.

4THmtk4.png
  • Wubberman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wubberman polycounter lvl 6
    I love the look of the Clone Wars characters, excited to see how this goes!
  • vickgaza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vickgaza polycounter lvl 6
    Looking forward for this, I`d love to see some realistic skin texture on stylised proportions. Might look badass :D
  • nevermind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Able to start texturing tonite... the eyes need some work, but I'm happy with the way the face is turning out.

dnShBM1.png
  • nevermind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got to work a little more on this today... Haven't hand painted in a while and really feeling crappy. My brain seems to keep farting while working on this.

But reshaped the head some and repainted a few things and started blocking out the wraps.

HNAZbDn.png
  • nevermind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • nevermind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About to start the lightsaber

164rPmp.png
  • nevermind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update before bed tonite

j94CyC2.png
  • nevermind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Figured a out a "better" way to do the glow on the saber without using emission... probably not the most efficient or wise use of geo

x8ccMeC.png
  • cgartland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgartland polycounter lvl 11
    For the saber, just do an inner/outer layer.

inner layer is a red tinted white
    outer layer red with flipped normals.

you'll lose the gradient but it should read well from a distance

also the handle doesn't appear as cubed in the refs you posted
  • TheodorUrhed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheodorUrhed polycounter lvl 4
    I really like the textures so far, but there's something with the wrapping that's bugging me, maybe it's a bit too yellow and it's right now creating very much conntrast on the legs. Maybe consider doing a big gradient from the bottom to the top of the character to bring more attenton to the face?

About the face, I feel like you've missed the mark just a little bit. If you want it to look more like your reference, the chin and should be pointier, the jaw more angular, the eyes wider apart and the brow further up from the eyes.

This is looking pretty cool so far, keep at it ;)
  • nevermind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Cgartland - Thanks! I'll definitely try that.. for the handle, I used this pic as a base reference but I agree with you. I probably squared it a little to much. I'll round it out a bit more so it looks a bit less blocky.
    3d___asajj_ventress_lightsaber_by_araiel-d4olgmf.jpg

@TheodorUrhed - Thanks for the input! I'll try to desaturate the wraps and create a vertical gradient. I agree that it's a bit too much contrast.
    About the face - totally see what you're saying. I'll get on that and do a big face shape pass. Thanks a bunch!
  • nevermind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Face update - more angular and pointy

fXLDh7G.png
  • nevermind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you guys think about the lightsaber change?
    THe new one is far less polys using inverted geo and also doesnt need the alpha channel I made - but I lose the gradient.. if that matters from a mobile view:

V5Q1oom.png
  • nevermind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • nevermind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • TheodorUrhed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool! You could probably work on her pose a bit more though, and it's a bit awkward that's she so far right in the presentation. I think you generally just need to push stuff a little bit further, and her feet are very oddly placed, use a plane as ground to help you place them.
  • Abrvpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Nice character !
    But to be blunt, the presentation doesn't sell her at all at the moment. She could really use a pedestal, at the very least a drop shadow on an invisible floor.
    Also the background "eats" the character, the text is very large and kinda hard to read, so my first reaction was to trying to read it instead of looking at the character. And the dark uniform grey doesn't make the character "pop", maybe try something with a very slight gradient !
    Sorry if it's a bit harsh, but your character is very nice and your work deserve to have a better presentation. =)
  • nevermind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Theodor and Abrvpt

Hey guys - thanks for keeping up with me and the responses!

No offense taken at the comments at all - presentation has never been my strong suit. One of my friends wanted to rig her so I should have a better / more easily to pose shot of her in the next couple days. It'll definitely be better than my botch job of throwing joints in her and rotating those around.=P

I'll create a scifi ish ground plane for her to stand on - as for background, I'm not sure exactly what to do. I always tend to default to that dark gray.

Any ideas will definitely be taken into consideration.=)

Thanks again!
  • Skywalkergirl93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skywalkergirl93 polycounter lvl 5
    Really cool character! I like the version you chose to model and paint, the color choices are really nice together. I think the execution was great. I've only got a few critiques (just my personal opinions)

I agree with Abrvpt in the fact that I think a pedestal would really help sell the model better.
    I'm not a fan of the black outline because it really shows where some of the geometry is really low (top of the head), whereas without the outline I don't think I'd have noticed it as much.
    I saw the model on Sketchfab, and I think there are a few areas that could use a little more contrast. Specifically where the skin is showing on the arms (hands included). There's really nice contrast on her chest area of the skin, so I think it would be nice to keep it a little more consistent through the rest of the skin. This could very well just be the way Sketchfab is showing it, and not how it really looks, it's just an observation I made.
    And lastly, I could be wrong on this (there's a good possibility), but I do believe you have her holding her lightsaber backwards in her left hand (the one on the right side of the picture). It's no big deal, but I would keep it in mind if you plan to animate her in the future.

All-in-all, this is a great piece! I love it and look forward to seeing more projects in the future. Keep up the epic work!
  • nevermind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Dustin
    Thanks for the response! I'm invested in the cloth wraps right now, but what sort of color scheme do you think would read better? I desaturated some from earlier, but willing to do more if need be.

Also looks like I may have missed a marking on the back of her head.. I'm on it=)

-Skywalkergirl
    - I'll probably add some more geo to areas as noted for smoother curves - good eye. Going in with the darks in the hands and arms also won't hurt - and the lightsaber is totally backwards... good catch.
  • nevermind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys:
    I pushed her contrast a bit more and made a few adjustments to the colors to richen them up - also fixed the pose and made a quick tiling floor texture... here's a WIP of what I'm thinking for presentation.. I'll also make another more relaxed pose for her for another shot:

Let me know what can change:
    djKiaXj.jpg
  • TheodorUrhed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now the text is taking over the presentation, try making it smaller and in a less contrasty color- like gray. Having a black outline on the lightsaber also looks really weird and doesn't make much sense. I guess you could also try to make the pose more similar to http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130915214923/villains/images/5/5e/Marauder.jpg, tilting the left lightsaber upwards for a more balanced pose.
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    I agree with Theodor about the text taking over the presentation. Don't forget that the model is what you want to show off, not the text.

Also, I think the shadows beneath her isn't visible, making it look like there's no shadow at all. Perhaps placing the light just a bit to the side will help make her shadow more visible.

That said, the model itself is good! You just need to work on the presentation more to bring out the best out of it.
  • nevermind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys... so I tried to hurry up the presentation on this chick so I could have her as a piece before I applied for an internship - these are the 2 pics I ended up using on my site for her page:
    I appreciate all the feedback immensely! I'm going to start another piece soon to start getting a little portfolio diversity.

GDSWbmz.jpg
    lbj5Rvq.jpg