Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - BroTemple - Bryan Walter

monkeybit29
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
monkeybit29 polycounter lvl 8
Hey everyone!

I'm a little late to the party, but i've decided to partake in this contest.
My Throne room will be dedicated to the one bro that has been there with me since birth, myself!

Here is what I have blocked out so far:

Good luck to all and just have fun!:cool:

Replies

• Gamergosu
    awesome idea, cant wait to see more.
  • monkeybit29
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress:

I will start with the Corinthian Column.
    My workflow I like doing is modeling the base out in maya and then using Zbrush to sweeten up the look really quick. Primarily used the standard brush and "dam" Brush
    [IMG][/img]PG_06_zpsdf009da4.jpg

I started on some of the smaller pieces, but i plan to repeat the same process as the Acanthus Leaves
    [IMG][/img]PG_05_zps575dccd8.jpg

Finally I start blocking out and pulling out a ton of anatomy reference for my "Self-Portrait" statue. Still needs a ton of work and refining, but im very open to critiques! :^D
    [IMG][/img]PG_03_zps863e42dd.jpg

That's it for the night! Will post more tomorrow dudes and dudettes!!
  • monkeybit29
    Offline / Send Message
    Another night, another update. This time I decided to focus on getting the column down. with 34 days left i'm working as fast as I can to pump these out!

There's no texture or normals baked yet, so I tossed in some blinn shaders to get a preview of the look I want. But this is pretty much it.
    [IMG][/img]PG_08_zpsszjha9vr.jpg

My UV unwrap work, yea I know these assets could be much lower in polycount :^/
    [IMG][/img]PG_09_zpsmxyufhef.jpg

Till the next update!
  • monkeybit29
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some more work done today, Finally got my "Brotein" pillars into Unreal, still needs more work and I think i'm going to rebake the bottom portion with better UV space management.

[IMG][/img]PG_11_zpsjv9jesyu.jpg

Different angle, different light direction
    [IMG][/img]PG_12_zpsg79d8tca.jpg

I'm gonna take a break from these guys before revisiting them, now i'm going to work on designing the actual throne, might post something later tonight, stay tuned peeps! :^D
  • monkeybit29
    Offline / Send Message
    Last update for the night, so I spend some time sketching different ideas for the throne itself and here's what I came up with. It's still a basic blockout and the picture itself has nowhere near the amount of deco and detail i want, but it's a good start for properly blocking it out in 3D.

[IMG][/img]PG_13_zpssgyuqgx0.jpg
  • monkeybit29
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to make a bunch of changes on the go, but this is about the direction I would like to take it. Still needs more way detail and refinement before I can consider it done. Won't be able to do any more work till Monday, so until then!

[IMG][/img]PG_15_zpsx6xgp5as.jpg
  • monkeybit29
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone, I didn't get much time to work on my stuff today but I will post WIP shots anyways. I actually spent a good majority of the time brushing up on anatomy (I swear there are no characters! they are for my statues :^D

The arms still need the "stone" finished look to it, and the gold painted veins that run from the throne.

PG_16_zps68inzyqi.jpg

For these leaves, I decided to try something new and use Zbrush's "ShadowBox" tool. Really helpful for these kinds of shapes, and saves me time from modeling them out in maya. Just needs a little more polish and I can take them into low poly.
    PG_17_zps0anazwhq.jpg

I did get some time to work on the throne itself, but i'll post and update tomorrow since I intend to have it done by then. Night peeps!
  • monkeybit29
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update! Still needs to be put into Unreal, and still needs the gold/red velvet/ marble texture, for now it's time to hit the hay! :D :poly125:

PG_18_zpsjxakz94v.jpg
  • monkeybit29
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone! I'm getting much closer to finishing the throne.
    My notes are the following:
    -Gold needs a better gold look
    -Marble needs to look better (need to actually look at reference of marble stone sculpts)
    -Cushion needs the "velvet"material to be better tweaked
    -gold veins and decoration on weights/arms needs to pop out more
    -Polycount is way to high, need to find a way to lower it on the Leaf deco around the chair

25 days to go, still have a buttload of assets to do, here we go!

PG_20_zpsurhzm7f3.jpg
    PG_21_zpssjlu99vz.jpg
    PG_22_zpsduhl2ppj.jpg
    PG_23_zpsetgarvwu.jpg
    PG_24_zpsbklqdzgw.jpg
    PG_25_zpsucwhfyhw.jpg
  • domonickb
    classic concept!! awesome BRO
  • Orb
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    might be me, but I think you have a flipped green channel on the red pillow part of your throne?
  • monkeybit29
  • monkeybit29
    Offline / Send Message
    More updates!

So I got around to making the bigger columns that I wil have in my room.
    Still needs some normal fixes, and I still need to make it rain gold on them. Here's what I got so far.
    PG_28_zpsvyqxduf1.jpg

LowPolyWireFrame
    PG_29_zps6zxdtu8l.jpg

Their size in the scene (the redbox represents the scale of the throne......more or less, that's what i'm thinking for scale) :^P
    PG_30_zpswemwlf5i.jpg

That's it until Monday brochachos!
    22 more days D^:
  • monkeybit29
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, so i got the walls put in, worked a little bit more on the sculpture and my head. As always, needs a ton of work, and can't be called done yet :^/ but i figured i'd post my progress anyways.

PG_33_zpsxfphdvpq.jpg

So I look nothing near like my concept so i decided to borrow "Zyzz's" body and pose for this and replace his head with mine lol
    Beneath are where i ended up getting to, and the reference used. I just slapped the head onto the body, to get a feel of what it is going to look like.

I couldn't help but laugh at how ridiculous this is coming out, this is definitely the funnest environment i've done, until next time dude and dudettes! :poly121:
  • Spencer_Holmes
    Offline / Send Message
    Spencer_Holmes polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome concept, Bro!
  • monkeybit29
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Spencer! :^D

and here's another update, just started on the stained glass windows.
    PG_37_zpstjruuewr.jpg

18 more days!
  • monkeybit29
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, been busy this past few days, but i got some work done in today, I may not finish but i will grind away to the end. Here's some WIP

PG_38_zpsgkst3tkd.jpg
    PG_40_zps8dndf3mz.jpg
    PG_39_zpssbidyifl.jpg

Here comes the final week stretch sprint!:poly142:
  • monkeybit29
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, Still trying to power through this to get something out there at least.
    Here's what I have so far, still missing loads of props and textures. Statues are a placeholder as well. 6 days left!
    ]
  • RitualSynergY
    Offline / Send Message
    RitualSynergY greentooth
    Hey man this is really fun :D keep it going, great work so far! (This is Aaron by the way ^^)
  • monkeybit29
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh what up mang! haha thanks, Ill keep pushing on! :^D
  • monkeybit29
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to add more gold and play with post processing, still have about 7 props lefts to finalize.
  • Spencer_Holmes
    Offline / Send Message
    Spencer_Holmes polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome work man, I love the concept!
  • monkeybit29
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone! So it breaks my heart to have run out of time. There's so much more I wanted to do, but here's what I managed to get done in 4-5 weeks. I wanted to say that I had a lot of fun doing this silly concept, and I know quite a bit more about unreal 4 and substance now than when I started this contest. Till the next time bromigos! Off to submissions!
    psvrr5bnof.png[/IMG]