Home Technical Talk

Why is Photoshop stupid sometimes?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
leechdemon polycounter lvl 11
I'm working on a Diffuse map. I save it, filename_d.png. Then I take my diffuse map, work on it a bit, create a displacement map. Save as filename_displace.png. I notice something I forgot to fix, I fix it, Save my file. Logically, I just saved the currently open file as filename_displace.png, but it still thinks that my current document is filename_d.png, so when I do a simple Save command it overwrites my Diffuse file.

This happens sometimes, but not others. Does anybody know the rhyme or reason to why photoshop opts in and out of overwriting my work? It's a really stupid way to overwrite hours of work, and I'm getting a little tired of it.

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    If you have a file saved as PSD somewhere, and you save a version of it as PNG, JPG or any other format with less features than PSD, photoshop still considers the current file to be the original PSD one.

I know this is not the exact behavior you are experiencing, tho...
  • leechdemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe. I know sometimes it happens with flattened/unflattened files. Unflatted PNG's have Alpha, which photoshop handles as Layer Opacity rather than an actual Alpha channel. Maybe it's considering the Layer Opacity as a photoshop layer feature, and dumping copies with Alpha as "lesser featured" versions, like you're saying. That'd be stupid, but it'd fall under the category of "Photoshop hates PNG's" that I'm already familiar with.

I'll do some experimenting and see if that's the cause. Thanks. >_<
  • leechdemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a short test on this, and you seem to be correct; if I save a flattened image as a PNG, I can Save As multiple times, and the Current Document is my most recently saved image. If the layer has opacity or is on a layer that is not the background layer, the Current Document is whatever it was before the save.

Does anybody know what this "feature" is called, or if I can turn it off? I don't see anything in the File Handling preferences.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    The problem is that the png can't support the layers the way Photoshop has them, so it assumes that continuing to work with the data is what you want. The only way it could let you work with the new file is by flattening it, so you could just do that part yourself (as you noticed). There are a couple of solutions. You can either get in the habit of/make an action for saving as a .psd then a copy .png whenever you save as, or use .tiff since that can support layers.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    i just make actions up when i start working on a project.

very simple just made a action that copys the image merged to a new doc and saves and closes that
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    yeah, actions or some script like Vtools and its many clones are awesome for this and make it so you shouldn't ever have to directly mess with the output texture. I'm not sure about scripts that support PNG though, it'd be pretty easy to make/alter one if you have a tech guy with the time
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    perna wrote: »
    Flatten before you save, save, then undo. This avoids the behavior you're talking about.

Hell yea, is what I do too.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Actions are the way to go, Amigo.
  • leechdemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you just may need to slow down a little and pay attention to what you're doing. I usually make mistakes when I get too clicky for my own good. You get comfortable with where things are and it becomes a reflex to zip all over the screen, clicking like a mad man. Just slow down a bit.

Paying more attention never hurt anybody, for sure. Still, multiple behaviors for the same file type without an error or warning message on one instance or the other seems kind of silly. Since Pior's post, I've been paying more attention to what file I'm in when working with Alpha images, and that's helped a bit. Just knowing WHEN to pay more attention has helped.
    Flatten before you save, save, then undo. This avoids the behavior you're talking about.

That's an interesting idea. Frustrating that you'd have to do that with PNG's, but not with PSD's, so remapping the key isn't necessarily what you'd want either.
    yeah, actions or some script like Vtools and its many clones are awesome for this and make it so you shouldn't ever have to directly mess with the output texture. I'm not sure about scripts that support PNG though, it'd be pretty easy to make/alter one if you have a tech guy with the time

VTools, interesting. I use qSave when working on large assets, and combined a few save settings into a series of actions using Groups ("select group 'N', save as 'filename_normal.png' "), but haven't bothered with it for shorter projects. I'll look into VTools and see what that'd do for me.

Thanks for the advice!
  • leechdemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel this is more straight forward than what you're making it out to be, unless things have changed radically since CS2 it's simply a matter of whether or not what you're trying to save has more than one layer. Logical and completely predictable once you wrap your mind around it.

My limitation is that I can write Actions but don't know the syntax of Scripts, so adding logic to a save command is a bit beyond me. I agree though, it's easy enough to distinguish on paper.

Another thing I noticed is that if you open a PNG with alpha, you can modify and resave it without error; the name only changes if you save a flattened version. I think another easy workaround is saving and reopening the files if I'm planning on modifying them.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't exactly get why you would use PNG as a texture format anyways. The way Photoshop handles transparency for that format is pretty risky, since you can end up with deleted pixels instead of alpha-ed out ones. Just use TGA with a plain, obvious black and white alpha channel if you can.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, and PNG's will only save disk space, not texture memory in a game, if that is the reason for using them.

They have to be uncompressed and loaded into memory, or re-compressed as .DDS to work at all, so really, if you just want to save disk space skip it all and go straight to .DDS.
  • leechdemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm forced into PNG by our tech guys. I've told them how terrible it is inside of Photoshop, and their response is basically "Ugh, Photoshop is dumb then.". Explaining that, dumb or not, it's my only option ("Why can't you just use GIMP then?" ".../punch") doesn't seem to help much. So, here we are. >_<
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could always point your tech guys to this thread
    And possibly have them write a TGA to PNG converter that fits in your pipeline ?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahmed, what do you not understand? Can you please be more specific?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel your pain, I work with a mostly 2D pipeline with a lot of rendered frames (40-100gb of TGA frames per character). Our engine guys had us switch from TGA to PNG to improve processing time, transfer time, "compression" and server space.

What a pain that was, we still run into problems every once in a while. Max saves PNG's differently than Photoshop or After Effects and other image applications like xnview. Batch rename using xnview? Oh guess what all of your PNG's are hosed. Some programs let you tweak the settings so you can get similar results, while others just won't let you. Which leads to crazy convoluted work arounds to get it resaved in a format that works, hoping that the image wasn't drastically altered by the process, which it probably was...

We went from having a smooth, stable and predictable workflow that was simple, to a chaotic nightmare that relies on a lot of custom tools and hookey rituals to get similar-ish results. We still hit speed bumps and it's been 4 years since we switched. Artists raised a lot of hell over the issue and it's still a sore subject with a lot of them. Our tech guys are very sorry for the mess it caused but everyone understands how necessary it was. In our rare case, the benefits outweigh the headaches.

For us the cost of shuttling around, storing and processing all of those TGA's made it necessary for us to switch. But for other studios that aren't pushing around 50gb+ of raw TGA's, per user, every few min, I think it's stupid to work in PNG's. They better have a better reason other than "I dunno, we had to pick a format. Deal with it." At that point your headache should become their headache that is constant, persistent, never going to go away, until they fix it.
    i can't understand . are you trying to tell us photoshop is useless ?
    Not really. What people are saying is that PNG's aren't all that reliable and using another format is probably a better idea. Also if he has to use PNG's then finding a workflow can be difficult but not impossible. That doesn't mean he has to get rid of photoshop but maybe work in a slightly different way.

1) PNG's are unpredictable.
    Based on what I know, there are a few different ways to generate a PNG and this variance can cause a lot of problems. It can be like trying to find a mechanic to fix your odd brand car. Every mechanic will say they can work on it but very few will do it well.

2) PNG is a gamble between applications.
    It's like playing the telephone game. How photoshop deals with the transparency and PNG compression in general could be different than the software that originally authored the image. Just opening an image in photoshop and saving it will more than likely alter it. Which might be different than the final software that accepts the image or whatever middleware the image has to pass through. All of that unpredictability makes PNG's unreliable garbage.

2) PNG's are a compressed format.
    Most games further compress whatever image is imported, so further compressing an already compressed image often leads to garbage results. It's better to feed the game engine uncompressed data like TGA.

3) The way photoshop saves is logical but annoying.
    If you want the default name to change when you save to a format with lesser features you need to collapse your layers, save and then undo to get your layers back. So while that is annoying it's still far better than the other options out there.