Offline / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage
Autodesk Games Engine - Stingray

[vv]134982672[/vv]

Replies

• ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    With Unity and UE4 having big communities that really enjoy what they have, I don't see many people jumping ship to Autodesk unless there's a big reason to do so. It will be interesting to see their feature set and pricing model. Hopefully their announcement comes with a game title being announced with some gameplay footage.
  • WarrenM
    Yeah, I don't get this at all. I'm interested to see what it is and all that but it's got a hard road ahead.
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I can definitely see some advantage to having a game engine integrated into a modeling tool. I've had countless struggles attempting to convince 3D engines to play nice with various model formats.

At the same time, I'm not sure how much need there would be for an engine like this at this juncture. And after the past few years, I really don't have much faith in Autodesk. I'll be interested to see what's going on with this Stingray engine, but don't expect to see me in line to pick this up.
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Looking forward to a future trailer which actually contains useful information
  • Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    All I see right now are resources that could be better used elsewhere.
    There are some people at AD who like to see themselves as big innovators (cloud, use your software from your ipad, this). On a smaller level (some of the R&D efforts) that might work.
    But judging by the last couple of years this usually means less innovation where it would actually help or should be expected. I only can talk about 3ds max, but it happened several times already that max developers were whisked away in order to work on some big guy's grand ideas.
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Given the reputation of AutoDesk software in the past, it might not have been the best idea to make this teaser trailer in a "glitchy" style. Just saying.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    I can definitely see some advantage to having a game engine integrated into a modeling tool. I've had countless struggles attempting to convince 3D engines to play nice with various model formats.

Then try opposite and use Houdini with Houdini Engine inside Unity and UE4 ;)
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Well, wouldn't there be a cost effective use for this if it's packaged with Maya or Max for studios?
  • PhattyEwok
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    The 90s called they want their commercial back. But seriously this looks interesting. I hope to god it plays nice with their existing programs. Couldn't imagine them releasing an engine that didn't have intuitive cross software import export.

Overall looking forward to see more. :poly124:
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    The appeal of this is very easy to see. It would be as if a studio had its own proprietary game engine. Unreal/Unity are an external game engine that one must import all assets and content into. That does take time and efficiency away.

Imagine if all the shaders you build in Max/Maya are the shaders you see running in your engine? All the lights you place in your 3d modeling software package are there in your engine. Anything you create in your modeling package would be directly in your game engine already, no need to export and create all that content in another package.

This is just what I am assuming it will be like. Its very much what we do at ND with our engine. I dont export anything, I make everything in Maya, I never leave it. I never have to bring things into another program like UE4 and that is honestly fantastic.

Workflows look like this...

Build 3d model, UV model, create shader for model (we have our own shader program but its directly linked to Maya and works in tandem with it just like hypershade only WAY better) rigg, animated and light assets. Assemble scene and build whatever it is your working on. All done in Maya, never leaving the software package. Makes rapid level changes with modeling FAR faster and easier.

Now with UE4/Unity you still do ALL of those things but then there are the added steps of importing models into the engine, importing textures and animations, creating shaders in the engine and so on. Not the end of the world but that is a lot of time and can slow down iteration as well as being an extra step.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts on why I can see a lot of people really digging this.
  • MeshMagnet
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    Autocon wrote: »
    The appeal of this is very easy to see. It would be as if a studio had its own proprietary game engine. Unreal/Unity are an external game engine that one must import all assets and content into. That does take time and efficiency away.

Imagine if all the shaders you build in Max/Maya are the shaders you see running in your engine? All the lights you place in your 3d modeling software package are there in your engine. Anything you create in your modeling package would be directly in your game engine already, no need to export and create all that content in another package.

This is just what I am assuming it will be like. Its very much what we do at ND with our engine. I dont export anything, I make everything in Maya, I never leave it. I never have to bring things into another program like UE4 and that is honestly fantastic.

Workflows look like this...

Build 3d model, UV model, create shader for model (we have our own shader program but its directly linked to Maya and works in tandem with it just like hypershade only WAY better) rigg, animated and light assets. Assemble scene and build whatever it is your working on. All done in Maya, never leaving the software package. Makes rapid level changes with modeling FAR faster and easier.

Now with UE4/Unity you still do ALL of those things but then there are the added steps of importing models into the engine, importing textures and animations, creating shaders in the engine and so on. Not the end of the world but that is a lot of time and can slow down iteration as well as being an extra step.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts on why I can see a lot of people really digging this.

Makes a lot of sense to work that way. I find it quite cumbersome to switch back and forth between the editor and engine. Tons of time wasted when you think about it.

Maybe Epic caught wind of Autodesk's Stingray and decided to pair up with Houdini to keep competitive?
  • DireWolf
    Houdini offers a completely different workflow tho. It can't replace Maya/Max/Modo/etc for ordinary asset creation.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    ... Only if Stingray has better non-programming method than Blueprints...
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    That's strange because I can model and output normal model from it without a problem. I modeled and rigged couple mechs in it. Outputing LowPoly is even less problematic. Anything I can't do in it I can do in Zbrush.

Different workflow doesn't mean that it can't do something. It's like saying that UE4 can't do something that unity can, because it have different workflow.

But I understand that people that are used to not seeing nodes may think that it can't be used for normal work ;)
    DireWolf wrote: »
    Houdini offers a completely different workflow tho. It can't replace Maya/Max/Modo/etc for ordinary asset creation.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Hate that trailer, its so dirty and shows nothing but a headache
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I would just like to make one tweak to the trailer, it should finish with this nice, little promo for Maya:
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    if it has at least okay tools but awesome performance - maybe.
  • Skinpop
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinpop polycounter lvl 9
    It's based on bitsquid engine that autodesk bought last year.
  • jStins
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Looking forward to a future trailer which actually contains useful information

What do you mean? The trailer told me making 3D games is about to get a whole lot cooler! Don't most developers choose an engine based on how cool it is?
  • Kel-Shaded
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    jStins wrote: »
    What do you mean? The trailer told me making 3D games is about to get a whole lot cooler! Don't most developers choose an engine based on how cool it is?

Actually yeah they do,
    If its cool, it's popular,
    If its popular, people are coming out of uni up 2 speed in it, you can take devs from other studios with all their exp being relevant.

Cool tech gets us talking, and trying, then telling our heads of department what subscriptions we'd like to swap.
    Lets face it we'd all be fine on blender and gimp, if they had the hype to make us.
    Who knows how many times I've harassed for a Maya Max update to get an 'essential feature' that already existed in blender but I didn't wanna use it there.
    Mudbox has had some awesome feature releases that I've responded to with Wow, when that comes to ZB that will be awesome.
    Cool drives subscription.
  • jStins
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Kel-Shaded wrote: »
    Actually yeah they do,
    If its cool, it's popular,
    If its popular, people are coming out of uni up 2 speed in it, you can take devs from other studios with all their exp being relevant.

Cool tech gets us talking, and trying, then telling our heads of department what subscriptions we'd like to swap.
    Lets face it we'd all be fine on blender and gimp, if they had the hype to make us.
    Who knows how many times I've harassed for a Maya Max update to get an 'essential feature' that already existed in blender but I didn't wanna use it there.
    Mudbox has had some awesome feature releases that I've responded to with Wow, when that comes to ZB that will be awesome.
    Cool drives subscription.

I get that. I just think it's silly for the trailer to tell me it's cooler. Don't tell me, show me. I'm sure they'll reveal more tech and features soon enough and I'll be curious to see what they can do to set the engine apart, but this trailer was cheesy as hell.
  • nervouschimp
    Offline / Send Message
    nervouschimp polycounter lvl 4
    If you look carefully at this maya LT screenshot:

http://www.creativeobserver.com/img/7188_autodesk_maya_lt_2016_screenshot_lg.jpg

You can clearly see that the shaderfx node graph is directly linked to the stingray engine. I'm guessing that shaderfx is the stingray material authoring tool. This is further evidence that art assets will be completely synchronized between Maya and Stingray. I'm guessing that it's going to be a really fluid workflow.
  • Kel-Shaded
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    A2M did a keynote demo of using Maya as there game engine for wet,
    And pretty much all that became main stream Maya from that was Viewport 2.0 and anim layers. It did look very impressive and extremely practical though.
  • killnpc
  • DEElekgolo
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    sAFLXCm.jpg
    qxOPVm3.png
    EslxzMf.jpg
    lc5WYbN.jpg
    I hope it puts Scaleform, Beast, HumanIK, and to good use.
  • Pancakes
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    PyrZern wrote: »
    ... Only if Stingray has better non-programming method than Blueprints...

Not possible. Epic nailed it.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    what's the deal with these 1980's style green screenshots - is this how you advertise a product in 2015 or am I missing something or could we post more infomative cat pictures instead?
  • Magihat
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    The more game engines the better but the editing of that video is pretty much eye herpes inducing. I am interesting in seeing exactly how this will benefit from being part of the "Autodesk-family", seamless Maya integration would be awesome.
  • Pancakes
    Offline / Send Message
    Just watched the video. Awful. I don't think they understand who they are marketing to. And if this is an Autodesk product espected to be used with other Autodesk products, there is no way they can compete price wise.

I don't think they expected UE4 to be free xD
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Pancakes wrote: »
    Not possible. Epic nailed it.

there is always space to do things better, and competition is a really good thing for us as the end customer using those tools.
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    This is a good idea for Autodesk.

By doing this they learn more about pipelines, and that will improve Max/Maya/Motionbuilder for game production no matter what engine the asset is destined for.
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6

By doing this they learn more about pipelines, and that will improve Max/Maya/Motionbuilder for game production no matter what engine the asset is destined for.

Or they just build engine around their existing products because... Why not ?

As for engine it self.. Well, Idk who is target of this trailer.
    Epic spoiled me so much, that anything that is not informative and explained, is not even worth noticing.

And this teaser of teaser is everything but informative. Some green images randomly put together. Nothing that would convince me, to even ask what it is all about.

Learn guys.. learn!.
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    One thing that might be awesome, is being able to use something like all of 3D Studio Max's modifiers to actually animate different effects (not skeletal) directly in the game without having to vertex bake everything. Totally would make a few games using just warp-space modifiers.

Not to mention, if you wouldn't have to bake animation, you could tie so many different variables to actions in the game! Just guessing/not based on any technical knowledge or anything.

It would also be nice of their renderer is on par with Unreal Engine 4's. Currently I've been messing around with UE4 for creating company video ads and it's been a lot of fun, although said nightmare on importing different types of animation other than skeletal/figuring out how to make a version similar that would work in a game engine/or just not possible without programming. That said, I love UE4. I just hope some day they figure out a nice way to support vertex animation :)
  • Minato
    Offline / Send Message
    Minato polycounter lvl 5
    @Deathstick, the best thing that any engines including UE4 can do to address the vertex animation situation is to implement Alembic in my opinion, I know there are talks of this going around for Unreal, hope they go through with it.

As for this engine, they are going to face a real challenge considering Unreal ,Unity and now Source 2, all of which are free, but they also have the advantage of having Max and Maya to support it and vice-versa, we'll have to see how they are going to make the connection between all of these tools because that can be the key for them.

PS: They have the least professional video editors for a multi-billion dollar company.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator

maybe...maybe not.
    We have AD people visit us regularly. They want to pimp the newest modeling/animation features while we ask them to do something about tighter integration and data exchange - especially with middleware and game engines. (Can you believe it? It's 2015 and interchange between most 3D apps is still limited to exporting and importing individual files). This means they will eventually have to talk to companies and developers who don't belong to the AD umbrella. But so far the only hope for tighter integration for any software seems to be that AD buys it ;)

So now they have their own engine. Seems the answer is simple: you want tighter integration? Why not use OUR engine instead of <competitor product>?
  • Pancakes
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    there is always space to do things better, and competition is a really good thing for us as the end customer using those tools.

The best they can do is copy Epic. At this point coming up with a better way for non programmers to program would be like finding a better way for English speakers to speak English. The methods are constrained by the subject matter. As long as you are programming, this is the best way because of logic/language limitations.

If you start jumping over the micro management in favor of macro, then you lose flexibility and power.

Of course it can be tightened up over time. But all they will be doing is copying what Epic has laid out. And that just isn't enough to appeal to people who are already happy with what they've got.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    its not about what it is, its what it will be.

I remember the Unity CEO standing at a 1 cubic meter Unity stand and hardlyanybody caring about his engine, showing some soldiers running in 3d. Competition is only nice for us, and who knows what it will bring in 2-3 years. its built in very recent time and does not drag endless burdens around from its past, so its probably up to a good start.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Pancakes, stop talking in absolutes. You look like a fool.
  • tadpole3159
  • tuna
    Offline / Send Message
    tuna polycounter lvl 7

Well... Autodesk bought all our other tools at least. But it's gonna be nice having even more options for sure :)

I completely forgot about Stingray tv show. I always preferred Captain Scarlet and the MYSTERONS!!! But it's not as catchy of a name for a game engine.
  • Pancakes
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz wrote: »
    Pancakes, stop talking in absolutes. You look like a fool.

I'm begging you to never say anything to me again.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    I'm begging you to never say anything to me again.

i beg you to not be such a biased fanboy in public again, but sadly we can't always get what we want
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    The best they can do is copy Epic. At this point coming up with a better way for non programmers to program would be like finding a better way for English speakers to speak English. The methods are constrained by the subject matter. As long as you are programming, this is the best way because of logic/language limitations.

If you start jumping over the micro management in favor of macro, then you lose flexibility and power.

Of course it can be tightened up over time. But all they will be doing is copying what Epic has laid out. And that just isn't enough to appeal to people who are already happy with what they've got.

I've had to reread what you've wrote 5 times, and it still doesn't make any sense.

Unreal engine is great but it is far from perfect. There is plenty of room for improvements. Everything can be improved, you speak as if Epic has reached the pinnacle of 3D graphics.

Just because a problem is hard, it doesn't mean you just give up and copy old tech. That kind of mentality doesn't belong in any kind of software development.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I have no idea why anyone would recommend a game engine other than Unreal 4 at this point. Other than hipsters, that is, and if you are a hipster, hey who am I to judge? But Blueprints are the easiest to learn and most powerful style of visual coding that I have ever encountered and it has tremendous documentation.
    Source: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138027

Yeah I'm not even going to say anything else.
  • Damian Nachman
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    With all this competition going on, Engine studios will soon be PAYING US to use their stuff.
    Its insane.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Pancakes, I got you that research on baking a pie*, by the way.

* See old Zbrush thread
  • juniez
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    And if you are trying to copy that arrogant snarky forum style some of us use... You need to know what you are talking about. The only way you can get away with talking like that is to be right, and not act that way about subjective topics where you can't have an absolute opinion.

Also you aren't quantifying your opinion with with hard experience.

you'd think seven months would be enough time to reflect on things like this but evidently not

on topic: there sure are a lot of engines trying to gain market share lately. UE4 seems to be pretty far ahead in general adoption
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    Source: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138027

Yeah I'm not even going to say anything else.

That was pretty infuriating to read through.

Pancakes, the way you approach a discussion is not a recipe for growth. It lacks any indication of a reasonable mind.
  • Fingus
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Skinpop wrote: »
    It's based on bitsquid engine that autodesk bought last year.

If it's the bitsquid engine I've gone from skeptical to cautiously optimistic.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU6lkhjcOp4[/ame]
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Fingus wrote: »
    If it's the bitsquid engine I've gone from skeptical to cautiously optimistic.

Ahem. You forget, what happen to stuff that Autodesk buys ? ;p