Home Technical Talk

3ds max optimization problem....

Hello, Im trying to make a mod for a game, and the original mesh that I want to modify has 6977 triangles,5041 vertices and 5028 normals (this is according to the obj exporter)

Now, I did manage to make a mesh that has the same amount of vertices and the same amount of normals , but the triangle count of the mesh I made has 6792

So I guess my question here is... how can I increase my triangle count to match the original without increasing the vertex count or the normal count? Is that's even possible?

Replies

• Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I guess it's theoretically possible by tweaking your geo until you have the correct numbers but is it absolutely necessary to have the same tri, vert and normal count?
  • Adela
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unfortunately yea.. it is kind of necessary, Im using a 3rd party tool that someone made to import objects into frostbite , and it kind works like a morph where everything has to match up... when I imported the mesh to replace an existing one into the tool it gave me an error saying that it does not have the same number of tris as the original... :(

this is the tool im using http://daitools.freeforums.org/dai-modding-tool-v1-15-alpha-has-been-released-t429.html
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I could be wrong here, but from what I can gather from that page it would seem that you can only change the vertex position, UVs and smoothing.
    "- Vertex count and sub object count must be the same (so no adding or removing vertices - But you can scale vertices down to 0, like I did for Solas's hat)
    - Only Positions, Normals, and Texture Coordinates can be modified at this time"
  • Adela
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, I know, but i was testing out if i can manage to import custom meshes.

Like for example when i 1st made my mesh 1st error it gave me was the vertices weren't the same number, I fixed that and that error didn't appear anymore. But then i got another one saying that my texture coordinates weren't the same, I fixed that too and that message did show anymore... then got another message saying that my normals don't match, fixed that as well , and now the only thing i need to do is fix the triangle count and after that i believe the program can be "tricked" into thinking that its the "original " mesh if everything matches... just have to figure out a way, to add more tris so it will match the number from the original so it wont give me that error anymore
  • Xolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xolo polycounter lvl 10
    I have a sneaking suspicion that when you solve this problem and the program accepts your custom mesh, it will mess it up beyond recognition. I half suspect that the vertex order also needs to be the same.

Just like when moprhing in max and not having an exact copy of the mesh as morph target.
    Like so: http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/6900/cattura3lo.png
  • Adela
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, u may be right, I was actually thinking of morphing the original mesh to the one i made but after seeing ur pic seems like a waste of time....

Looks like the only option i have is to modify the original mesh instead of trying to import a custom one.... the only thing i hate about modifying the original is that the topology is soo messed up and its gonna take forever....:poly122: