Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Caravan Project

Hey, I'm currently working on a school project where I have to model a caravan and place it in a game engine, said caravan being based on an image provided (file1).

However, in order to proceed I need a distinct artstyle, but one that doesn't alter the caravan too much (for instance, avoid serious changes to the colour palette, shape, etc).

I've already done a greybox of the environment (file2), however, I'm lost when it comes to artstyle ideas. I was thinking of doing something that's kind of cartoony futuristic (file3), but I feel that this is more of a slight change in theme than in artstyle. If anyone has any useful ideas or inspirations, please help me out.

Replies

• failhappy
    Offline / Send Message
    failhappy polycounter lvl 3
    I quite like the idea in the last image, with the sci-fi theme. Not really sure how you can change the art style without changing the shape or colours of the caravan.

Looking at your blockout I would suggest making the chamfer on the caravan large, on your mesh it's really tight but in the concept it's quite a soft edge.

Also, just as a general pointer, it's better to upload your image to a hosting site (like imgur.com) then add them to your post using the Insert Image button. Just makes them a lot easier to see.
  • Lord Striker
    Ah, thanks. This is my first post, so sorry about not knowing about the imgur.com thing. I'll be sure to use it from here on out. Thanks for the feedback, I'll be sure to smooth out the chamfer in order to better suit the concept. I think that I should be fine with the sci-fi theme, as the art style thing is really meant just to distinguish your work form other students.

Again, thanks for the reply.
  • Lord Striker
    5gHx4PZ.png?1

Here's the latest on the greybox.
  • Poseidon8734
    Offline / Send Message
    Poseidon8734 polycounter lvl 6
    Seems like a cool idea. :D
  • Joltya
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    It is extremely difficult to to get a good idea of how your model looks when your floor is the same color as the rest of your model. I'd suggest to get rid of it until you need to have it, or making it a different color.

I'm very interested by what you mean by attributing a unique art style. To me, it would be something like going super realisting with the whole PBR works. Do you perhaps have some examples from previous classes you could share?

If you're going for a futuristing type thing, you could try incorporating some hovering things! Hover trailer, hover stools, hover chair, etc.
  • Lord Striker
    RmxoOAL.png?1

There you go. Yeah, I was thinking about doing some hover stuff, but I didn't want to get too far off concept. Just wanted to tweak a few things and make it appear more interesting. I'm thinking about changing the hologram so that there is a tv object of some sort so that I don't end up being lazy with it.

Here's the original and altered concepts for your reference.

Original:
    1TH1UJS.jpg?1

Futuristic:
    pAzKFRp.jpg?1
  • DireWolf
    I really like the art style of the concept. Is it a requirement that you need to alter away from it into your own style?

I like how every thing is slightly rounded, no sharp corners. This piece would make a great hand-painted piece from what I see.