Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chuck Rock Mid Poly

Shadowskin
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Shadowskin polycounter lvl 10
Hi everyone!

I want to improve my low poly char with a better definition of shapes and shading so here is another stylized character of him.

[SKETCHFAB]255c3271af3c4bfe8a11675b641fc2dd[/SKETCHFAB]

Cheers!

Replies

• CraigClark
    Some wasted topology in the chest that could used somewhere else And some more not needed loops in the arms.

I would probably reduce those parts down and instead of the beard that you have go for poly planes for the beard :)
  • Shadowskin
    Offline / Send Message
    CraigClark - you're right, i spent many polygons in a damn belly button! lol

About arms i tried to construct better flow for animation. At the en, i confess that biceps won't be animated! hehe

This model was finished, but the next character i'll take care for these details. Thank you for your tips, man!

All the best!
  • Magihat
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    This may be a weird tangent but what is "mid poly"? Low and high poly are merely states a mesh is in when relating to baking so to me "mid poly" seems like just a way to say that you want to be limited in tri-count but not put in the effort actually restrict it and think about what in the topology contributes to the silhouette.

As far as actual critique goes you seem to have figured it out yourself with things like the bellybutton and bicep being wasteful. It's good that you think of what would be needed for nice animation deformations but don't overdo it and unnecessarily complicate the edgeflow.
  • Shadowskin
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat - mid poly is just a way to say that my character has more triangles. I use to say mid poly because if i put a "meshmooth" modifier from 3d max, the character don't lose his shape. I wanted to increase my triangles limitation for a mid resolution, in other words.
    About topology and silhouette your right, i'll spend more time in that stage.
    And thank you for your advices, i'll take care next time to balance edgeflow and topology harmony. :)